Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Little tweaks which would improve the experience (not features)  (Read 3421 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little tweaks which would improve the experience (not features)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »

True, although unless you are churning out a ton of new equipment, this is pretty rare (at least in my forts).  "Equip specific item" should work perfectly, although be very micro-managementy.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:20 pm »

This thread definitely does belong in the suggestions forum. Having said that, I agree with most of the "tweaks" proposed here.

A personal tweak I would like to add is a search function to the "equip specific item" military menu. It drives me nuts when I am trying to find a very specific weapon or piece of gear for one of my dwarves and I have to manually search through a list of hundreds to find it.

I would also like to a give a shout out to all those awesome people out there who are or who have ever worked on bug patching and UI mods for this game. I don't know what I would do without Dwarf Therapist or some of the basic bug fixes that come with the lazy new pack.

To those complaining that this thread is pointless or ungrateful I don't really see where you are coming from. Toady himself has said he likes to hear feedback and suggestions from players which is all this is. I don't see anyone being an ass about it here. It's not like anyone is throwing a !!tantrum!! over it. It's just a thread full of generally minor suggestions for improving the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 12:34:49 am »

k9wazere, my comment was less about your suggestions, and more about the statement regarding the community you have currently edited out, I just wanted to reinforce the point that we have no say here, and we can't change Toady's mind about his priorities.

That's why 0.34.08 was all about adding the most popular suggestion and why the updates immediately after the next one will be similar, right? And that's why he made a suggestions forum specifically so that it would be easier for him to look through the suggestions, right? And that's why he made a voting section to see what suggestions people want the most, right?

Ryiah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 12:51:30 am »

Contrary to what I said before, I'd like if Toady worked on features that help the usability of DF NOW, fix the bugs, and fix the UI so we don't need 3rd party addons, but it's not how it is. He declared multiple times that the UI and the graphics are not his priorities, so we can go around and post the same problems every two months or so, or fix it for ourselves...or ask the dfhack team to fix it for us. :)
Or he could progress towards the goal of having everything graphics and UI related opened up to the public. Then when he adds new features, he merely would have to specify the APIs involved in using it. This way he could completely focus away from the graphics and UI until he is ready to tackle them.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:32 am »

This thread definitely does belong in the suggestions forum.

Personally I'm pretty confused about why he thought that the folks in dwarf mode discussion needed to see this in the list, rather than putting it in the forum that has lots of threads that more closely match the pattern and content of this thread.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Don57

• Bay Watcher
  • Commanding Fortresses Since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:44 am »

Or he could progress towards the goal of having everything graphics and UI related opened up to the public. Then when he adds new features, he merely would have to specify the APIs involved in using it. This way he could completely focus away from the graphics and UI until he is ready to tackle them.

omg, yes.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:46 am »

Request: in the (b)uild menu, assign one letter to bags and another letter to coffers/c(h)ests.  It's a pain in the butt to assign coffers to bedrooms when the list is full of bags.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »

Personally I'm pretty confused about why he thought that the folks in dwarf mode discussion needed to see this in the list, rather than putting it in the forum that has lots of threads that more closely match the pattern and content of this thread.

I was also confused. The suggestions forum seemed to me to be more for new feature suggestions. I'm happy for the thread to be moved to somewhere more appropriate. Or closed, if everything here has been asked for a thousand times before. Having said that, I really don't see the harm in making a thread like this? I seem to have upset a couple people just by posting it, which I can't quite understand.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:55 pm »

omg, yes.

No.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »

No.
You are such a soul crusher with your one word responses. :D Anyway, thx for the quote, I'm not surprised by what Toady said, but still am a saaad panda.

Having said that, I really don't see the harm in making a thread like this? I seem to have upset a couple people just by posting it, which I can't quite understand.
Hope it's not me you think is upset. Don't worry, it's just that the same ideas get repeated every 2 months or so, and some of us have seen umpteen times, and the answer is always the same (NO). No harm done.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »

omg, yes.

No.
That was 6 years ago.  Does anyone have a more recent statement from Toady saying that his feelings on the matter are (or are not) unchanged?

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 11:18:53 am »

I wish more lists of things were in alphabetical order. Is there a plugin/hack/whatever for that?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 11:54:36 am »

That was 6 years ago.  Does anyone have a more recent statement from Toady saying that his feelings on the matter are (or are not) unchanged?
Sort of. Slightly different discussion, but boils down to the same answer.
Spoiler: quote (click to show/hide)

I wish more lists of things were in alphabetical order. Is there a plugin/hack/whatever for that?

You can use these keystrokes in Peredexiserrant's Starter Pack and Macnewbie to sort most of the lists.
Code: [Select]
# sort units and items in the on-screen list
keybinding add Alt-Shift-N "sort-units name" "sort-items description"
keybinding add Alt-Shift-R "sort-units arrival"
keybinding add Alt-Shift-T "sort-units profession" "sort-items type material"
keybinding add Alt-Shift-Q "sort-units squad_position" "sort-items quality"
Pages: 1 [2]