Titans/FBs/Megabeasts
- 0 (0%)
'What's an evil biome? I'll check this out'
- 0 (0%)
Flooding.
- 6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: RIP: Your First Fort  (Read 4546 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: RIP: Your First Fort
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »

Many of my first forts got abandoned to boredom. The first real fort I remember losing fell to an ambush of goblin lashers casually strolling in through the front door and whipping everyone to death.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

thegamesurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »

Many of my first forts got abandoned to boredom. The first real fort I remember losing fell to an ambush of goblin lashers casually strolling in through the front door and whipping everyone to death.

Same here, minus the goblin lashers of course. My first 'real' fortress death was a forgotten beast I accidentally lured up from the depths, because I had no idea that leaving a tunnel to the caverns unguarded was a bad idea.
But. The BEDS. They beckon. They NEED to be watched. EVERYTHING IS NEW AND EXCITING.

I run an indie gaming channel on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameSurvivorAus

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 07:58:45 pm »

First was lost to the dreaded recycling bin.

Second was a combination of evil-weather induced tantrum spirals and goblin ambushes. The spiral didn't really kick off until an angry dorf swam up the waterfall to punch the mayor in the head as he was admiring the mist.

Made for a decent adventure afterwards though. I got to throw a wheelbarrow at a forgotten beast.

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:32 pm »

I didn't have enough booze.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 03:56:15 am »

My first real fortress, Netrelieve, was a dirt shanty built into the side of an evil mountain, next to an evil brook called "Donkeybent the Doomed Buckles." There just happened to be a deep, deep, DEEP chasm directly below the meeting hall, as my expedition leader discovered the hard way when he mined out a stalactite he was on and fell to his death (exploding and leaving me without a way to organize a military apparently). The mission to recover his remains (which took up basically the entire year, that's how deep this hole was) was cut quite short when miasma-spewing undead rutherers emerged from said chasm, crossed the bridge I later built, and tore the defenseless civilians limb from limb. Except for one dwarf who was smart enough to stay the hell out of there and instead died of thirst in the frozen mountains.

Probably the most memorable thing about the fortress, in retrospect, was the miasma billowing out of the pit that foreshadowed the unspeakable horrors that awaited beneath. I tried visiting Netrelieve with an adventurer afterward and let me tell you, that place was rather creepy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:14:32 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 04:03:56 am »

I don't really remember, but I want to say flooding, due to aquifers and/or misunderstanding of z-levels.

My first fort that was actually /lost/ to invaders was hit by an elven ambush - my first experience with combat. It crumbled, too- turns out wooden arrows are still pretty great if they whack your head.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 05:54:28 am »

My first fortress fell when I found out that water can and will flow diagonally. And up and down the stairs. Also, rather fast.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:14 am »

My first fortress never actually died. When I got to about year two I had seen and learned enough to realize just how horribly flawed my design was even though I had only lost two dwarves to a goblin ambush at that point plus a mason who walled themselves in.

The ocd took over. I made a new world and a new fortress which I am still playing to this day. It has survived past the decade mark and been a load of fun. Despite a few spectacular accidents involving magma, a vampire and a pet dragon, it's turned into a thriving fortress full of happy drunken dwarves. Just stay clear of those top two abandoned floors unless you want a magma bath and for god sake don't mess with the feral dragon guarding the west entrance.

My next embark will be to an evil biome and or near a necromancer tower.  :D

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 07:17:35 am »

Dehydration. Realized too late the lakes would freeze during winter and hadn't gotten booze production up and running yet (don't recall how much I even knew about it all at the point). Who needs invaders or tantrum spirals when there's good old basic game mechanics to kill you  :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:30 am »

Hooked up a well in the center of my dining hall to the river. The river that was 10 Z-levels up. I didn't into pressure control at the time.
Some dwarves took the wrong way up and ended up in the farms, without any way to escape the rapidly rising water.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:52 am »

Mine was back in the 2D days. Having read up on surviving I managed to thrive for 2 years. Then I reached the magma river and busily set about setting up forges when a fire imp appeared. My military wasn't ready...
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 10:56:10 am »

First fort I actually got to the end with was a "surely this level of the adamantium is safe" moment.  Second was a "this time I actually have my military in place to deal with the clowns" moment.  The first one was absolutely hilarious, though I was disappointed that the clowns never killed the elves sitting at the depot or the maimed trolls hanging out in my barracks (the goblins had all been killed by my weapon traps).

I tend to restart once I decide on a "better" way to do things, or when I decide to try something totally different, or when I play something else for a couple of days and don't feel like figuring out what I was doing in the last fort.

imlovinit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 11:01:18 am »

Grr you stole this thread idea from me you monster!

Anyway my first fort was lost due to dehydration.
I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:11 am »

didn't understand how doors worked, built walls instead of just digging and ended up trapping dwarf in own room, lost to a tantrum spiral. This was around 40d, I think, near the end of its lifetime. Didn't play again much until 0.31.25.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 03:35:23 am »

I remember selling wooden mugs to the elves. They reacted violently.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4