Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 517097 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Cado And Math Return!
« Reply #4170 on: August 03, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »

this... Um.... Well now....

Also, smurf, you forgot Sen's action of teleport one of the units with the railguns a few streets over...

*facedesk* God damn it. No more late night updates for me.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 03, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »

Hmmmhmmrrrmmmm.

The problem with armor scaling up to a hard limit is that armor has to protect from magic damage too. Which means magic damage to turn and mana cost is probably most efficient with Large and Medium abilities; anything more, and with the way the damage works, you run the risk of wasting a lot of your rather finite resource. Anything less, and you aren't getting much bang for your buck, or dealing damage quickly enough to make a difference, really.

There are flaws in the system. It's just a fact. It's not a perfect system, almost no system will be. *shrugs*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »

actually armour as it stands only protects against physical, which makes physical even more of an underdog
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 03, 2014, 06:36:33 pm »

In any case, just waiting for smurf or something, I think.

Spensir is presumably conked out on the couch or something from drugs.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Problems
« Reply #4174 on: August 03, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

Forgot about that subplot, I'll start it up soonish.

Well, there are a couple things that need addressing:

riot smurf pls:
Nerf Magic: Magic really, really fucking hurts, doing like 90% of all damage in the game, due to multipliers.

Solutions: Increase mana costs, decrease multipliers

Buff Physical: Physical is much weaker then magic, usually dealing only single digit damages.

Solutions: Implement special attacks (attack strength increased, with drawbacks), rework physical combat.

moar magical girls

I'm not too sure about the others, but implementing special attacks seems like a good idea.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:55 pm »

Another thing to bring up.

RPG needs to speed up his Leth plot.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems
« Reply #4176 on: August 03, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »

Here's a rather radical idea for the sake of discussion and exploring alternatives: what about spell and equipment scaling? Effectively, spells, equipment and actions would have very little differentiation aside from the former using mana and the latter having the usual drawbacks of being a tangible object. They all get assigned a Standard Usage Scale, which basically lists out how their rolls scale with each stat.

So for example, a weapon enchanted to be more damaging would have its damage rolls scale with STR but also with MAG to a greater or lesser extent as well. Similarly, a weapon enchanted to have homing attacks would have accuracy scale with SKL but also with MAG to a greater or lesser extent as well.

Let's use one of The Creator's blood blades as an example of spell scaling. Rather than even needing scale categories, its increase in power would simply be represented with various aspects having MNA-input and HTH-input metascaling. True to its term, this kind of scaling would not directly increase any attack rolls, instead, it would scale up the scaling of various stat influences proportional to the input. So for example, sacrificing health may increase magic scaling of a melee attack, possibly at a rate where with enough input, damage rolls go from pure STR to becoming MAG dominated.

As for an action, let's take a rudimentary dodge action used constantly in combat automatically, specifically in terms of a void-based character. Now, it would obviously scale with SPD, however, as void entities can teleport it have MNA-input metascale MAG. What this means is, if a character thought they were in danger and really needed to dodge, they may sacrifice some mana to have their dodges to have a degree of MAG scaling that turn. The limitation being of course, that they expend it regardless of whether they needed to. Teleporting out of the way when they could have dodged if they tried.

Of course, these are for Standard Usage and only cover it for their general use. Obviously, you can use a spell in a variety of ways and a weapon in a variety of ways. Bonuses and Scaling increases may be added in exchange for Penalties and Scaling Decreases. For example, one way of representing ICARUS' rocket-propelled melee would be to take her standard blade attack and add a significant amount of SPD scaling to damage in exchange for adding a self-damage penalty.

This system could have the potential to diversify possible builds and encourage people to have a range of stats, not just focusing on being a magic glass cannon or a physical tank. Furthermore it rebalances physical and magical combat, removing the problematic category multipliers and reducing the amount of spells a character must list. For example, Bartimaeus would not need eight spells that really just consist of either 'void lash' or 'detonation' with an adjective in front of it, it would only need two: 'void lash' and 'detonation' with MNA-input metascaling so that it naturally increases in size and power the more mana it pumps into it.

Finally, it prevents equipment from being obsolete. For example, Mabarius' +9 would progressively decline in power relative to Spensir's stats, since she's at the hard limit on equipment bonuses and he is perfectly capable of leveling up. If Mabarius instead had high STR scaling instead of a fixed bonus, her power would always be in the same proportion to Spensir's STR. This would ensure equipment bonuses remain relevant as they are proportional to their user's stats. Consequently, there would be no limit on equipment bonus numbers, but rather on their scaling.

On the other hand, this would basically require another game-wide restat, new sheet templates and more number crunching as well as guidelines on the use of Bonuses, Penalties and overall scaling. Then again, a Bonuses and Penalties system would be required anyway for special attacks to be implemented.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: August 03, 2014, 09:22:18 pm »

Another thing to bring up.

RPG needs to speed up his Leth plot.
You never PMed me about how you wanted Kyle to be involved, and I never got confirmation as to being able to run it an' shit.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: My Shame is Eternal
« Reply #4178 on: August 03, 2014, 11:18:27 pm »

Work in progress.
Smurf, if you could tell me whether or not this is clear to go, that'd be great :D
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: August 03, 2014, 11:20:55 pm »

Work in progress.
Smurf, if you could tell me whether or not this is clear to go, that'd be great :D

Is good! Although this game does need more magical girls, because we have a grand total of 0 stereotypical ones.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »

What do you consider a stereotypical one?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: August 03, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »

Work in progress.

Is good! Although this game does need more magical girls, because we have a grand total of 0 boring ones.
Fixed that for you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:51 pm »

Wait, so what counts as breaking? Seeing as projected wood can burn, would the projection just burn without losing mass? What about nuclear projections, could he produce a permanent, supercritical mass of plutonium, realize what a bad idea that was, and cause the first manipulator-overload style event? :D

I think a better point would be that I don't think anyone has any actual idea what a stereotypical one is.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: August 03, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »

rolep, any proposed numericals on that scaling?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: August 03, 2014, 11:34:52 pm »

Breaking, as in snapping in pieces or losing its shape, I suppose. The wood projections just turn into charcoal or whatever.
As for the plutonium, I suppose he could, yeah. Also, I don't mean permanent as in they can never disappear, I mean it as in he can dismiss it whenever but he doesn't have to be around for them to stay.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 685