Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 517408 times)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Holy crapmuffins, an actual rulechange
« Reply #9135 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:34 am »

Meh, my point still half stands. Limiting the amount of characters in combat or plot isn't as fair as it might appear.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: February 13, 2015, 09:27:25 am »

So let's say that we only allow one character per person into a plot. The plot is generally geared to stay levels ahead of a group of characters so that the combat doesn't feel like oh nothing special. Well, when you begin to have the, say three, strongest characters always in combat, for example Icarus, Kyle, and Ashley, then the combat will always revolve around them. The Gm of the plot will have to plan around them to either null them, separate them, or out right cater to their play styles. This leaves any other character, examples being Dalia, Alice, or any other mook character, at the mercy of the boss or combat of that plot. see what I'm getting at? It's because of this that we get the overpowered cahracters that we had in V2, it's why the combat system and stats that we currently have are broken. We will always have those few characters that will always be in combat and always be a higher level than everyone else.

Then doesn't adding more characters into the mix worsen the situation? The power players are still there, overshadowing even more people who could otherwise be in a separate plot and increasing the rate of power creep.

The problem with the combat is that GMs are (possibly rightfully) afraid of pushing up the difficulty to a point where glass cannons suffer heavily or even permadie from not hiding behind the tanks, due to our immense attachment to our characters.

With some serious enemy DPS and strategy, they'd shred the group up like wet sausage, considering the main battle plan is expend all mana and hope we live. RotMG is an old game, and balancing it is not an easy task if we're to keep all the PC's alive. In the event where they become disposable, well... let's just say we'd shatter a lot of glass.

How about this? Prior to a plot commencing, everyone must register the characters they will use. Then, for the entire duration of the plot ONLY those characters may be used, thus preventing everyone else form suddenly jumping in and ganking everything like a swarm of literally omnivorous locusts?

I mean sure, it doesn't make any logical sense from a narrative perspective when examined closely. But considering that the void plots apparently hinge on the PCs being the only real hope and every single more powerful entity in the entire universe not ganging up on the antagonists, I don't think that issue matters much.

I'm pretty sure if a large amount of people register, it's still result in the gankball of legend...

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

Should plots have a flexible character cap instead? The number 8 keeps coming to mind, but I'm fairly open on what it should be.

On a side note, USEC dropped down two spaces in the plot queue, meaning that Sanure is now greenlighted for a plot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:44:54 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: February 13, 2015, 09:52:15 am »

It does. The problem then lies with the Power players. However, we can't penalize them for participating in all the plots up till now. that as well wouldn't be fair. A flexible character slot plan does sound useful, but even that can have it's downsides.

The only solution I can think of right now, is adding a Grinding rule. Grinding would allow for more mini-plots that specifically cater to the weaker characters. And to make sure that the Stronger characters don't benefit from this, have a level threshold. If they are above X level, then No XP reward is given.

How's that sound?

Also, I have more work to do on my plot, so I'mma have you push it back until Kansa's plot finishes. >..> I specifically need the spot after her plot's finish.
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:57 am »

Actually, I do have a few parts I can run right now. Let me get the info sent to you and then Maps made for it.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: February 13, 2015, 09:59:36 am »

Oh, Smurf, For my plot, Bosses won't be following standard Stat setup. Most of my bosses are Puzzle style bosses, and as such some stats are redundant. Is this Okay?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:34 am »

Maybe. But triple posting definitely isn't. :P

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: February 13, 2015, 10:04:17 am »

XD thanks for breaking my Combo USEC :3

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:54 am »

Also Akroma, you still want to have Walpurga be the main part of the Start of my Plot? the ghost portion I mean?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: February 13, 2015, 10:39:30 am »

I dont care either way, Walpurga is not important
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: February 13, 2015, 10:46:31 am »

Then I'mma use her to at least introduce one of the main bosses of my plot. Now I just need the boss approval of Smurf and then I can start.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: February 13, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

Also, for those who want to use the monster in their plots or something, here you go  :P

Morphling

Morphlings are elemental creatures that can be summoned to inhabit liquids such as water or mercury. Due to their fluid nature, they can alter their composure to adapt to situations and are split when they are attacked. The only way to kill them is to destroy every split at once, only then will their essence rend and will they be destroyed. What they lack in power they make up for in raw numbers later in the battle. Some extremely powerful Morphlings can even replicate people, shapeshifting to actual forms instead of simply reshaping their liquid.
This particular Morphling inhabits mercury and is more powerful than its kin.

Stats (70)
 HP------10 [30]
 MP------10 [20]
 SPEED---10
 SKILL---10
 STR-----5
 MAG----15
 DEF-----5
 RES-----5

Perks
 Morphed Division- When attacked, this Morphling spawns another Morphling with a base statpool of 15. Every turn after, it increases statpool by another 15 until it reaches its cap at 70. These last for 12 turns.

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

This is the shit that Tobias fought, and is one of the stronger types. As I said, 70 statpool. RNG-sama hates Tobias.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: February 13, 2015, 03:47:51 pm »

I'll probably be using a variant of it in my plot, so I thank you for spoiling it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: February 13, 2015, 08:52:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure if a large amount of people register, it's still result in the gankball of legend...
Not if the registration happens BEFORE the GM stats up their enemies and encounters. If the entire cast signs up, they can just have enemies that can take on the entire cast and possibly wipe the floor with them.

Come to think of it, higher lethality could probably help by cutting down on the amount of PCs, though I suspect people wouldn't like that idea much.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: February 13, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »

You guys should pray to the RNG god before entering battle.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: February 13, 2015, 09:37:06 pm »

I take it that you do so often? :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 685