Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Forest  (Read 2785 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

I heard this is analogous to 'Stomping Land' yet I've played neither. Both appear to be in early alpha with similar goals excluding the whole dinosaur bit, which is recommended? I'm probably just going to avoid them both until they're anywhere near completed, though, to be honest.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:10:36 pm »

Yeah its very early alpha so these things are sorta to be expected, but it seems to have some pretty deep flaws which stop long term play. I know it sounds bad as I'm sure they're working hard, but I feel like they could be working a bit faster to get some bugfix patches out to fix the worst offenders/not released until they had done.

I do like the atmosphere/horror aspect with The Forest and it does feel quite unique at times - I've heard Stomping Land is good too but in a more actiony/dinosaurs attacking things way.

I just don't know how much more they can do with it somehow (which sounds strange for an early alpha), either they just turn it into an endless crafting sandbox or they try to make a full story/campaign out of it, but somehow at the moment it just feels a bit unfocused.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 03:15:28 pm »

Theres a clip of a plane crash on the blog, is this like a video game version of Lost?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »

The stomping land is multiplayer, this is not.  There is a plane crash but it's not like Lost.

It can occasionally be very scary.  The enemy AI is probably the only thing in it right now that's done perfectly and I can't wait to see what else we see with it in the future. 

It's also got some impressively subtle stuff.  A lot of games ram their message down your throat because video game developers aren't capable of subtlety.  No scripted sequences where you burn down an orphanage and then the game wags its finger at you for being evil, here it's all built into the systems waiting for you to come across it on your own.  You'll be stalking a lone cannibal across the beach with a logging axe to cut off her head and put it on a stake to mark off your territory and it'll pop into your head, "Son of a bitch, I am the cannibals."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:27:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 03:42:32 pm »

You'll be stalking a lone cannibal across the beach with a logging axe to cut off her head and put it on a stake to mark off your territory and it'll pop into your head, "Son of a bitch, I am the cannibals."

And then you were a zombie.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 04:27:41 pm »

You'll be stalking a lone cannibal across the beach with a logging axe to cut off her head and put it on a stake to mark off your territory and it'll pop into your head, "Son of a bitch, I am the cannibals."

And then you were a zombie.

And then you're a 20-something guy with dark hair and a sullen attitude.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »

The stomping land is multiplayer, this is not.  There is a plane crash but it's not like Lost.

It can occasionally be very scary.  The enemy AI is probably the only thing in it right now that's done perfectly and I can't wait to see what else we see with it in the future. 

It's also got some impressively subtle stuff.  A lot of games ram their message down your throat because video game developers aren't capable of subtlety.  No scripted sequences where you burn down an orphanage and then the game wags its finger at you for being evil, here it's all built into the systems waiting for you to come across it on your own.  You'll be stalking a lone cannibal across the beach with a logging axe to cut off her head and put it on a stake to mark off your territory and it'll pop into your head, "Son of a bitch, I am the cannibals."

I can totally see why you would feel these ways about it, but I have almost opposite opinions across the board. I think the AI is awful, it's just perfectly broken as to appear to be clever, but when you spend more time with it you will actually see just how broken it is. A foot away from you and they won't see you or respond to you, but then through a dense jungle 50 meters away they will laser in on you and come running as a group. I could list dozens of examples of how it's broken and only give an anecdote or two showing how it worked well to give the illusion of being well programmed.

I also don't find anything about it's design sublte, not that I need it to though. Generally the only standard I hold a dev to is functionality because everything else is open to personal choice and vision and it's pretty silly to decide that someone's personal preference or goal is bad because it's not how I would do it. I may like it or I may not, but as long as @70% of things work as expected I have a positive attitude about their work.

I'm with Retropunch on this one. While I find the first 15 mins of the game fun, I have serious doubts that they know what to do with the game. They keep giving us examples that they are not decided on what sort of game they are going to deliver by offering conflicting updates(focus of them). I'm supporting them because the project is interesting but I think this was one of those projects where they had one pretty good concept and some talent and it was enough to get the ball rolling but now they are lost and they already have a ton of money and no real incentive to deliver a polished, well crafted finished product. It's another prime example of why early access is bad for the consumer and the developer.

*This was my opinion and it is no more valid than yours. In fact, by looking at stuff half through a developer prism and half through a gamer prism, I will never be more than half right ;)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »

Yeah, like I said I'm still a little sore about the current development situation.  The two recent patches have really done nothing.  None of the bugfixes they claimed have worked, they've added a couple new (useless) items, and that's about it.
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

I'm confident that they'll do a bit of something with it - I'm hopeful the next patch will fix the losing-items-when-saving and other bugs, and I can imagine that they'll add a lot of interesting bits and pieces. I just hope they do something major with it, as currently although it's interesting as it is (and I do like the AI at the moment, although it might be a bit of a paper tiger) there isn't much beyond basic crafting and scavenging around.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 [2]