Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Forest  (Read 2790 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Forest
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »

The Forest, has anyone played it?
Sorry for the short post, I don't know much about it myself - it's the top selling game on steam and it sounds pretty good - an open world survival game where you have to build/craft/set traps during the day and mutants attack at night time.

Official website here: http://survivetheforest.com/

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »

Oh geez, for some reason I thought this was some generic horror point and click game so I skipped by it in the steam releases.  I gotta pay more attention.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »

Oh geez, for some reason I thought this was some generic horror point and click game so I skipped by it in the steam releases.  I gotta pay more attention.

haha, snap!! I thought exactly the same and just gave it a big nope. Far too many 'horror' games recently and this seemed like just another random one, but it sounds great/has had good things said about it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »

I think it has potential but its very much an alpha now. The AI of the enemy mutants surprised me a few times - they can climb trees and try to get behind you constantly. Bit of a more serious Don't Starve in first person is kind of the feel.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:59:06 pm »

I think it has potential but its very much an alpha now. The AI of the enemy mutants surprised me a few times - they can climb trees and try to get behind you constantly. Bit of a more serious Don't Starve in first person is kind of the feel.

Can you build tree-houses!? I hear you can build a boat and stuff? I'm very intrigued by it, although I'm not a fan of really early alphas - is it more of an 'early beta' or a definite alpha-alpha? (you get what I mean!)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:02:07 pm »

I'm sort of watching and waiting at the moment - From what I understand you can't save the game yet, so you lose all your progress and have to start over currently. (Unless they've released a fix?)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »

What I saw of a live play someone made was interesting, but it suffer of the early release syndrome of lacking in game content at the moment. No save/load ether. I think they are calling it alpha at this stage so not too surprising.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it's still quite a way off from a solid release I think.

fake edit: welp you guys told all i had to say in the time i typed this heh. So yeah i agree with the above.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:22:47 pm »

- is it more of an 'early beta' or a definite alpha-alpha? (you get what I mean!)
From their webpage:
As it’s the first public alpha there are a lot of bugs for us to get through.
So not just alpha, but early alpha. Anyway, just bought it, I'll scope out what it's like and report back. :P

Also, OR support. That will be epic. Can't wait for my devkit 2 to get here.

Edit: And reporting back: First impression is it is certainly early alpha. Encountered a random CTD, as well as a known bug in which you start 'swimming' on land in certain places. Aside from that, it seems really promising. The map seems to be static between plays (in that it is the same, not that your changes like construction remain), as opposed to procedural. From what little I saw of the enemies, they seemed to be interesting, and the map certainly hints at a lot of possible story behind things. For example, while you land in a plane crash, there's a modern style small sailboat just off the beach 20 yards away. The overall vibe of the place is quite good. They get mega props from me for their use of LODs on their bushes in such a way that they look like the dark silhouette of a person at a distance. All in all, still early alpha, but the atmosphere is there in their environments.

I also saw a mountain in the distance; it was on the far side of the island (or whatever the form of the land you're on is; I didn't circumnavigate it) and so I went to check that out. Turns out it wasn't just part of the skybox or something like that. It seems to be on a neighboring landmass, and the game gave a little message about that area not being available yet when I tried to approach it. So that does suggest that you may well have reason to build those boats in the build menu in the future.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:40:25 pm by alway »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:24 pm »

- is it more of an 'early beta' or a definite alpha-alpha? (you get what I mean!)
From their webpage:
As it’s the first public alpha there are a lot of bugs for us to get through.
So not just alpha, but early alpha. Anyway, just bought it, I'll scope out what it's like and report back. :P

Also, OR support. That will be epic. Can't wait for my devkit 2 to get here.

-snip-

Yeah, I mainly just wondered because a lot of games are coming out now that are 'early alpha' but are pretty fully featured/good fun, and didn't know if it was this kinda thing or an actual early alpha.

Also I read somewhere that they're putting in a procedural mode as well, so that should be good. I'm mainly just hope the crafting becomes something more in depth than most of these games that sort of start and end with weapons, light and food. Will keep an eye on it and may get it shortly.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »

Alright, so after a bit more:
Seems at least the starting location is possibly randomized; my third match dropped me off nowhere near the coast.

The enemy AI is really pretty cool. Even 1v1 isn't completely roflstomping them; and they often wander in packs. Had 2 of them come after me at one point, and most of the time they seemed to attempt to flank me such that I could only keep an eye on one at a time. And given their high mobility, that's really quite dangerous. After killing one, the other ran over to and climbed up the nearest tree, jumping from one tree to another to stalk me from above. Which is awesome!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:21:32 pm »

Supplementary video for your pleasure.
That channel is great. "Just swimming on the beach... And there's a bird! And I have no head. This game could not be any more bugged... Wait, are you floating?"

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »

Supplementary video for your pleasure.
That channel is great. "Just swimming on the beach... And there's a bird! And I have no head. This game could not be any more bugged... Wait, are you floating?"

I literally can't cope with how hillarious it is. It's the segueing between Icelandic and English which literally kills me.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:57 pm »

Sorry for the mild necro, just wanted to report back now that I've gotten the game and the new patch has come out.

It's a mix between a horror game and a building/minecraft style game. You build a fort, defend it with traps/yourself and then sleep or attack the mutants forts/caves/whatever. You need to eat and stay warm/dry, as well as gather up a lot of materials for more complex crafting.

My initial thoughts after an hour or so's play:

-The combat is ok, and the fact that the mutants actively flank you is pretty impressive.
-It's scary enough, the graphics look fantastic and the weather/day/night system is great.
-There's quite a bit to explore and see, and the crafting (while basic) is good. However after a while you realize you're in a pretty bland forest with little except the mutant camps to break stuff up. It's good, just not really a sprawling open world.
-Crafting, whilst good, is a bit basic at the moment, there needs to be a significant amount more stuff in, and some of it can be tedious (carrying tree trunks about for instance).

It's worth a buy, although it might be worth waiting till patch 0.3 which should stamp out a few more of the bugs and add in some more needed content. I'm currently unsure where they can go with it - as fun as it is, it feels as though it might just end up that they add a lot of weird and wonderful weapons/crafting stuff, and it just become another crafting game with a few mutants around ala creepers in minecraft.

Anyone elses thoughts?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

I got it when it first came out on alpha.  Right now I'm a little sore because the patches they've released had a long list of things they said they fixed but did not.

Saving does work, but it breaks your inventory so it may as well not work.  At least one patch has claimed to fix this but has not. 

Dismembering corpses while standing on them will fling you into the air and kill you.  The recent patch claimed to fix this but did not.

There is a boat but it's basically a physics prop right now.  It's like trying to ride a plank in Gmod.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2