Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Major features in next version?  (Read 2841 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major features in next version?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:24 am »

Lol there's goes my quick embark pallisade.

Depending on how sieges actually work, a quick initial palisade may be the perfect solution -- which you would upgrade/replace later, if needed.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 08:04:45 am »

Lol there's goes my quick embark pallisade. things to try include, moat/ditch and wall, double height walls, or walls with a bit of floor (or another wall) overhanging in front. They'd be quicker to build than double height walls because they can stand on the actual wall to build them, and not break up the ground like the moat idea. So the first thing to find out is whether this climbing/jumping lets enemies grab an overhanging "ledge"
Don't forget to cut down any trees near your precious wall, or the enemies may use them to circumvent your lazy defences.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 09:01:43 am »

Lol there's goes my quick embark pallisade. things to try include, moat/ditch and wall, double height walls, or walls with a bit of floor (or another wall) overhanging in front. They'd be quicker to build than double height walls because they can stand on the actual wall to build them, and not break up the ground like the moat idea. So the first thing to find out is whether this climbing/jumping lets enemies grab an overhanging "ledge"
Don't forget to cut down any trees near your precious wall, or the enemies may use them to circumvent your lazy defences.
Anything within 4 tiles of the wall probably, depending on how much these trees spread out, if they do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »

Yeah, in total this version should be 0.38 or 0.39.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »

Ahh, smoothed wall cannot be climbed. Not sure about jumping though, but looks like block walls will be ok for 1 z level defense.

runetrantor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:24 pm »

What about constructed walls? I want my walls, and roofing everything sounds annoying...

Also, I heard something about... taverns/inns? Can forts build stuff for travelers on the surface? Like non-seasonal caravans and adventures to pass by the fort?
-Maybe this world is another planet's Hell. Aldous Huxley.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 10:36:04 pm »

What about constructed walls? I want my walls, and roofing everything sounds annoying...

Also, I heard something about... taverns/inns? Can forts build stuff for travelers on the surface? Like non-seasonal caravans and adventures to pass by the fort?
I don't think an active fortress will get such visitors ... yet.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:17 am »

Maybe we can decorate walls with broken green glass longland beer pot, so trolls cannot climb.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:06 am »

No more instantaneous attacks, melee attacks take place over a series of turns now. It's going to be great, and FUN!
I didn't hear of this, but I admit I haven't read everything.

This seems like it would be strange is dwarf mode, where combats can last for days/months already.
Any other news on this aspect?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:01 am »

"Not instantaneous" is definitely the wrong phrase to use. Combat should be faster now, in fact, as punches only take 6 ticks and kicks 8 (while before both would take 9.5 ticks on average for dwarves). Combat speed is no longer the same as move speed, is what's been changed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »

what do you mean by world will progress after world generation?

The entire point of the game is to have a living, breathing world that the player can interact with using either a fortress or an adventurer.

The main problem is that, as of 0.34.11, the world is neither living nor breathing; it's simply a static, deteriorating world where nothing happens except deaths incurred by the player's hand or presence.

This release fixes that.

So that's the main feature. The entire point of the game getting its first step implemented. That's pretty big.

This is possibly the most exciting prospect of Dwarf Fortress to me. As far as I'm concerned no other game can match this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

This is possibly the most exciting prospect of Dwarf Fortress to me. As far as I'm concerned no other game can match this.
I love the idea of being an adventurer and carving your own little kingdom out, so this version I think I'm finally going to get into Adv mode more than fortress mode. I wonder if the PC will be able to get married and have kids? then switch play over to my heir later. I'm sure this will be an option in upcoming updates if it's not possible already in the 2014 update.

That is the kind of CRPG campaign option I've wanted forever. This is becoming the closest game to a freeform pen and paper RPG ever.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:39:53 pm by Reelya »

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »

Also I am under the impression that his numbering scheme is representative of what percent complete the game is considered and I think he was quoted somewhere as figuring people would be surprised  by the numbering.

So does that mean the game is 34% complete right now... or .34%?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »

My understanding is that it is 34% done right now. This isn't to say that development will cease at v1.0 just that at v1.0 they will consider the core of the game complete. Again mostly based on things picked up and vaguely remembered so if someone pops up with a more definite source probably a good idea to go with what they say.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:35 pm »

Yeah, next version is vaguely around 0.38, almost surely 0.38 or 0.39. After 0.99 comes 1.00 in the scheme they're using. After 0.38.99 would come 0.38.100, I'd think, but that many too-small-to-up-second-number incremental changes would probably be indicative of larger problems.
Pages: 1 [2] 3