Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25553 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 2, A Place Between Places
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:51 pm »

"To look at, I reckon if I can see it I'll remember it. You know anything bout this recent hanging woman?"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:12:03 pm by Arkansan »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »

Edwin bows slightly. "Many thanks, young man. You're doing an old man a great service" He goes to sit at the fire, opposite to where the young man is sitting.

"Tell me. Why." He pantomimes shrugging with a not understanding face "you" he points to the man "eat." He pantomimes eating something "Person" He points to the carcass on the spit.

The man does not seem to have understood what you're asking of him, judging from the way he immediately takes his knife and takes out a small chunk of the corpse and puts it in his mouth, chewing for a few moments, then shaking his head with a disappointed, grunted reply. Furthermore, and you know this seems a bit redundant, you think there's something fishy about him. His looks, actually. It's still hard to see much about him under his hood, even with better lighting, but you do notice that his skin seems rather rough and slightly leathery.

Knock, enter if answered.

"Hello, I believe you are in charge around here?"

After a moment's wait after you knock, you hear a slightly subdued "In with you," Taking that as the appropriate signal, you enter.

Bantuk's study, which is what you unquestionably have found yourself in, judging by the collection of dried orc hearts mounted on the nearby wall, and the jars filled with orc tracheae lining the other, is evidently one made by a man with simple tastes. There is little decoration, and few papers. Just a lot of trophies, a single desk with a chair, a large window and a candle, and a bit of stationery. And also a huge map lining the entire back wall - it appears that Ol' Giff had indeed spoken truly, as there are certainly dragons lining the unknown regions, in all their scaly glory. In the middle of it all sits Bantuk, looking not quite as you may have imagined him - a skinny, though also wiry man, in his late sixties, his head and face clean shaven, with sunken, dead eyes and a hook nose, he is not what you would handsome. Or particularly authoritative - as a matter of fact, he looks like an old man minding his own business. Business that you seem to have interrupted.

"What do you want?" he asks, audibly though not visibly peeved.

To look at, I reckon if I can see it I'll remember it. You know anything bout this recent hanging woman?

"That'll be three pfennigs for a look, and yeah, they caught this man in the woods trying to set fires to things. Some lunatic dressed like a druid, was screaming and dancing before they beat him into the ground. Then they hanged 'im without much of a fuss."

Unfortunately for you, you seem to have exactly zero pfennigs on you presently.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »

"I'll be blunt. I'm looking for a mountain that is shaped as if it had a gravestone on top of it. I am told, apparently correctly, that you have a map here. Do you mind if I look at it?"

If allowed, look at the map and look for the mountain I saw in the dream.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

"I'll be blunt. I'm looking for a mountain that is shaped as if it had a gravestone on top of it. I am told, apparently correctly, that you have a map here. Do you mind if I look at it?"

If allowed, look at the map and look for the mountain I saw in the dream.

"Yeah, but don't touch it," Bantuk says, and you thank him and proceed to the map, taking a closer look. It's a very pretty map, you find, with the major rivers and towns (and also Bantuk's Bend, which has more in common with the former than the latter), but the far southern part, which just so happens to be the only place with any mountains in it, seems to have a whole lot of dragons in its vicinity, which you suppose might be realistic, but it doesn't seem very helpful.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 05:53:59 pm »

"Ah well, no matter. Let us enjoy the crackling of the flames, yes?"

Warm myself at the fire, keep an eye on the young man (whom I suspect to be an orc) at all times. React accordingly should he attack. At break of dawn, say farewells and heads southwards once more

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2014, 09:05:58 pm »

Look for a major town to the south on the map.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2014, 09:58:27 pm »

I ain't got pfennig, you mean to charge for a look? Bah! Where can I make a few coins then? Something quick and fit for a man with iron in his back, not a coward!

Brennus has taken something of a liking to this place and has no desire to start a confrontation over the map, even he knows everyone has to have a safe place to duck out from time to time. He will seek a way to make a quick coin in a fashion that suits him, something that perhaps would show the locals what it mean to be one of the Great Huntsmans chosen. If there is no such way to make a few coins then he will regroup and seek out another way. Also he has taken an interest in the idea of a druid, he will make more inquiries about them and see if he can turn up anything useful, such as why they were setting fires and if there are more of them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2014, 03:30:17 am »

Look for a major town to the south on the map.

You notice several major towns, and all of them appear to be roughly in the same line leading toward the mountains - Farba, Kiprell and Bellstarae, each seemingly larger than the last, and all of them are on the banks of the Phibe, it appears. So it should not be overly difficult to follow the river in that direction, and there should also be several much smaller villages on the way. And once someone reaches Bellstarae, the mountains are only some... 50 miles away, you guess?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2014, 03:41:17 am »

((I'd like to be removed from the waitlist please, I just don't seem to be interested in this anymore, sorry for wasting your time.))

Aw. Well, okay.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2014, 09:40:28 am »

Wilhelm approaches the innkeeper and takes a bow, bending carefully so as not to disturb his artful headdress.

"Good morning, madam! Or rather, good evening, as it appears that I may have had a little bit too much to drink last night and overslept as a result of it. In fact, I think that I may have had so much that I've blanked on absolutely everything that happened last night, so do you think that you could tell me where I am?"
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:53 am »

Wilhelm approaches the innkeeper and takes a bow, bending carefully so as not to disturb his artful headdress.

"Good morning, madam! Or rather, good evening, as it appears that I may have had a little bit too much to drink last night and overslept as a result of it. In fact, I think that I may have had so much that I've blanked on absolutely everything that happened last night, so do you think that you could tell me where I am?"

"You, sir... you just so happen to be in... wait for it.... the Bright Night Lodge, the finest rest establishment in all of southern Allochthon, and the... only inn outside of the heart of Foghaunt itself to provide such exquisite comforts. You were... rewarded quite well for... providing much-needed information to our... displaced patrons," the innkeeper says, dramatically and artificially pausing every few words or so.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2014, 02:27:42 am »

Remember how much supplies and money I have left. Do the math on how long a trip it is between the cities, both on horse and on foot.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:14 am »

Remember how much supplies and money I have left. Do the math on how long a trip it is between the cities, both on horse and on foot.

You have... about two guilders? It's about enough for a night at a respectable inn, and you have little in terms of other supplies. You had a carriage hired from your savings, but it was unfortunately waylaid by orcs - they killed the driver and made off with the horses, but did not bother to investigate the inside of the carriage much, which you suppose was good for your continued health, though it did leave you with only the option to trudge down the road on foot, which did not work out as well as it could, and left you with little in terms of remaining supplies due to you being unable to carry much for such a long distance.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2014, 04:11:53 am »

Consider the option of getting a boat and traveling along the Phibe. How much would it cost, generally, and would it be any safer than traveling on land?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2014, 10:47:27 am »

Consider the option of getting a boat and traveling along the Phibe. How much would it cost, generally, and would it be any safer than traveling on land?

It would be cheaper, yes, and probably much safer as well. Unless a dragon decides to torch it, of course. Then it would be more dangerous. But you should be fine otherwise!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21