Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why do you like DF? (Up to six choices)

Love for Rogue-Likes
Love for sim/strategy games
The off-beat random stuff that happens
Interpreting the stuff that happens (story writing and role playing)
!SCIENCE! (learning and testing a hypothesis)
Retro/Indie gaming
other (state in post)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Target Audience for DF?  (Read 3252 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Target Audience for DF?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »

Being Tarn Adams.
Mostly the things about generating a living-ish world. That's the most important bit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 07:07:29 pm »

Why I like DF?

Because you can almost play it exactly how you like.
Build something Epic, then loose it in an epic battle with some super beasts or being invaded by the circus.
Play the game again as and adventurer and visit your own fortress and see all the murder that was done there.
Have fun riding minecarts and other devious traps you put up for the defense of your fortress.

Sure, there's stuff missing, but overall the game has tons of things to explore and try out.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »

Call me a hipster, I started simply for the challenge of learning such a hard and unforgiving game. I do the same with many other games (only a select few harder than DF) just because learning something from scratch without and help is fun for me and gives me a good sense of accomplishment.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 03:37:05 am »

Call me a hipster, I started simply for the challenge of learning such a hard and unforgiving game. I do the same with many other games (only a select few harder than DF) just because learning something from scratch without and help is fun for me and gives me a good sense of accomplishment.

If you also have a threshold for community size where you'll go "It's popular now. Dwarf Fortress sucks!", then I'll be happy to call you a hipster :P

For me it's a combination of the sim/fort building, the stories and wonderful emergent gameplay that keeps surprising me.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 07:06:08 am »

Sim/Strategy/RPG are my favorites genres. And I always preferred games that allowed that I could roleplay or imagine a story going on. So, basicly, dwarf fortress is my dream game.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »

I came because I love roguelikes, I stayed because of the depth and potential for creativity.
The absurd, morbid sense of humor of DF players is fun too.
Pages: 1 [2]