Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 109867 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »

Do items made from bone material rot/get destroyed by vermin? Same with rope made from guts? I am having weird trouble trying to make a traction bench. I queued it a few times before and it kept getting interrupted somehow while I was distracted elsewhere. This time I paid attention to it. I have bone mechanism, bone table, and gut rope - two attempts to make a bench with gut rope resulted in the job failing with "job item lost or destroyed" and only the mechanism and table being present inside the mechanic's workshop. So I made a rope out of something else and requeued. This time, it not only failed but the mechanic's workshop deconstructed, table's also gone.

So I built another and paid extra special attention. This time I noticed that the table, and the block which built the workshop, is decaying into X*X and XX*XX and then poofed.

I don't understand what is happening since the bone mechanism is by far the oldest of any of the items I've tried, not to mention many other items made from bone and buildings from bone blocks which aren't rotting. Likewise, I've got several gut ropes in my tannery and they only seem to poof when they got moved to the shop.

I decided to stop rebuilding the shop on the same location and this time it completed, but it also used a leather chain instead of the gut rope, so IDKMYBFFJILL?

Incidentally, various body parts from friendly not-dead is cluttering my corpse stockpile. Besides killings the units they came from so they get stuffed into coffins, is there anything I can do to clear them out? They don't seem to be valid for the crematorium. (Maybe I'll just mark them for dumping.)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »

Are the items aboveground? Aboveground organic materials will slowly degrade in freezing or scorching climates.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:17 am »

overlord died and i'm unable to res him /=

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »

So, are the restless walkers supposed to suffer from pain and needing lungs and whatnot? Seems a little odd for something that is a soulless shambling corpse to need things like blood and oxygen... I mean, i can kinda understand from a balance standpoint, but I've seen pit vipers kill these things, and since pit vipers are... Well, pit vipers and thus not exactly very physically powerful, one would think a zombie could kill a snake easily and not be bothered by silly things like having an arm ripped off or falling into a large pond.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 21, 2014, 11:21:54 pm »

It has been pointed out before that restless walkers are not exactly the most fearsome things to wander around, or rather, their only real advantage is their absurd movement speed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »

That's what I was getting at. I hadn't called on them before last night and was... Well, deeply disappointed. I wasn't expecting instant death machines, but I was expecting them to not need to breath or care about injuries/feel fear. ANd not be easily slain by small snakes.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:28 am »

They are actually really effective as early warning radars since they spot living things almost instantly and can run across the entire map in a matter of seconds. Nothing living can enter the zone without having them in their face and while they will likely die to anything more scary than a chicken, you will at least know what the threat is.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:13 am »

Are the items aboveground? Aboveground organic materials will slowly degrade in freezing or scorching climates.

Sorry, very late reply.

Yes, they are above ground. And yes, I'm aware that refuse can decay... but across many embarks and many years, this was the only time I'd ever seen a bone furniture and gut rope decay. I've let gut ropes sit in the tanning workshop for years and they don't disappear, likewise non-refuse items made from bone (furniture, blocks, weapons, other parts). And refuse items, when they decay, just up and vanish - they don't go through the damage stages I saw here.

I think what might've actually been happening is that the specific tile was somehow hot, hot enough to slowly (quickly) destroy the items... but only on that tile. It was in a scorching biome but, as I mentioned, not only is nothing else breaking down like that but the workshop surviving just fine and the benches getting completed without problem when I built the workshop a few tiles distant from where it used to be. I don't even know if temperature can work like, but it is the most plausible theory I have.

In any case, I long ago abandoned that site since I'm having trouble actually building a fort - I keep getting distracted by things that I'll end up having to move when I get around to working on what I actually want to do.

New question: do warlocks have any buildings that open bags of loot from butchered kobolds?

Also also, IMO warlocks should be able to specify making hourglasses from glass (in the glass furnace), not only from rock boulders at the craftsman. Unless it's a balance thing?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:03:25 pm by Niveras »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »

I think the mod is supposed to encourage the player to mass mine everything, although I personally avoid this due to the sheer game crippling amount of lag this leads to. I just modify a reaction to make hourglasses from the summoned blocks to get around this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 23, 2014, 12:42:17 am »

I think the mod is supposed to encourage the player to mass mine everything, although I personally avoid this due to the sheer game crippling amount of lag this leads to.

A sentiment I share. One of the few complaints I really have left about the warlocks is the whole "rip out everything" encouragement when it's sort of counter productive to the FPS saving measures. Course, stolen rocks from wrecked caravans and bonemeal can be used instead.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 23, 2014, 04:15:24 am »

Does forbidding an area with traffic designations as well as sealing them off eliminate the FPS damage of opening up vast amounts of space?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #506 on: August 23, 2014, 04:25:05 am »

Large open spaces (not floor, but actual open space) shouldnt harm fps. Its like sky or chasms.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 23, 2014, 07:04:51 am »

As humans, I usually go for a somewhat massive quarry (31x31, + a 3 wide ramp on the side), and even with quite a deep quarry, it doesn't seem to impact the FPS all that much.

It makes sense too, because there are two things that majorly impact FPS, pathing and item tracking.
Open air is not a valid target for pathing, just like rock, and birds don't quite path the same way.

So if you are emptying everything, do it with d-r or d-h instead of d-d, and you will effectively limit the FPS damage to 1 z-level "quarry" at any time.
As mentionned, you can also wall off the areas, but you would need to mass dump (or collect) everything before doing so.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 23, 2014, 06:26:57 pm »

i just channel 31x31 space down and floor it over, not much issue with fps there

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 23, 2014, 11:43:22 pm »

That's what I was getting at. I hadn't called on them before last night and was... Well, deeply disappointed. I wasn't expecting instant death machines, but I was expecting them to not need to breath or care about injuries/feel fear. ANd not be easily slain by small snakes.
If you want to get cheaty, then set up the altar that makes them so the only route in is covered in traps. Since butchering their dead bodies gives more parts than are needed to raise them plus a soul you're laughing.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57