Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 109926 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #360 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »

Oddly, ironbone skellies can't learn those skills. Bug?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:57 pm »

The whole skeletons learn naturally thing is a bug with the latest version. The fact that ironbone skeletons can't learn those skills is because skeletons aren't SUPPOSED to be able to learn non-combat skillz through any means besides inscription. At least, not above a 1% learnrate. The normal skeleton caste doesn't do that because of a bug/mistake. But the upgraded skeleton castes work properly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »

The whole skeletons learn naturally thing is a bug with the latest version. The fact that ironbone skeletons can't learn those skills is because skeletons aren't SUPPOSED to be able to learn non-combat skillz through any means besides inscription. At least, not above a 1% learnrate. The normal skeleton caste doesn't do that because of a bug/mistake. But the upgraded skeleton castes work properly.

I would say it'd be worth it anyway to upgrade if the skeletons actually seemed to gain some advantages from being armored up. I've watched as a kobold thief with a large copper dagger calmly beheaded a dreadnought and then ran off into the night.

I know that only the bones are metal now and not the connections, but since they have such ridiculously low combat skills (dodge, armor user, and shield) then they just get chopped apart by even the weakest of opponents. Heck, I saw a dark strangler pull all the arms off of a bloodsteel skeleton not too long ago.

I know that they're a level 1 monster and not particularly capable, so I don't normally bother to infuse them. Slapping on some cheap copper mail seems to work just as well or better. Particularly the mail hood that keeps them from being beheaded.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:30 pm »

I just spam full leather armor on them, it deflects casual blows and any serious threat is going to obliterate them anyway. IIRC base skellies can learn basic combat skills like fighter/dodge just fine, so they are probably better defended upgraded skellies once they gain some skills.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »

I'm testing some spells here (cheating) and spawning the stones using dfhack's CREATEITEM command.

It works, and I can drop a stone right on top of a necromancer just fine. The exact same stone that the libraries create as the product in the learn spell reaction.

But the necromancer doesn't appear to have learned the spell when the "blinding flash of light" disappears right at his feet.

The reaction stone works fine in the workshop, but not when spawned through createitem?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 26, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »

The stone itself most likely passes on the spell knowledge imperfectly through vanilla DF syndrome mechanism (probably ~25% of the time or so it will work).  The reactions in the workshop use some kind of dark magics from DFHack to guarantee success.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:55 pm »

The stone itself most likely passes on the spell knowledge imperfectly through vanilla DF syndrome mechanism (probably ~25% of the time or so it will work).  The reactions in the workshop use some kind of dark magics from DFHack to guarantee success.

So if that theory is correct ... spawning 500 of the stones in one location should guarantee success. :)

ETA:

Ok, so we won't be trying that again. Ever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:58:32 pm by Guthbug »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2014, 01:37:51 am »

How about opening the raws and removing all reagents from the spell learn reactions? that way you can test them for free.  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 27, 2014, 07:21:36 am »

That's what I ultimately will do when I get around to playing Warlocks again.

I did roughly the same thing with the dwarves and their buildings which required special science blueprints. I don't like not having access to everything. We're dwarves starting a new colony! We're not Atlanteans fleeing a collapse of our civilization and falling back into barbarism. :)

On my laptop, I have roughly 2 versions of each race in its own directory ready to play. One easy mode version and one which is unfiddled with. :)

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:43 am »

Any tips on farming those plants (seeds) bought frm Demonic Attorney? I tried farms above ground, in the soil layer, in the 1st cavern, 2nd cavern, 3rd cavern and below 3rd cavern (not in Hell). Those seeds cannot be planted anywhere :/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #370 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

Which seeds? You have to be in the correct biome for them... and there was a vanilla bug, that made them not available in the farm menu, if you didnt own at least one adult plant at some point.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:49 am »

The lichfingers or whatever they're called are the only ones I've tried.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #372 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:37 pm »

Its an evil plant, it only grows in evil biomes.

Some day I will find a way to enable them in farmplots in non-evil biomes, but today is not that day.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »

Which seeds? You have to be in the correct biome for them... and there was a vanilla bug, that made them not available in the farm menu, if you didnt own at least one adult plant at some point.

It was the need for having a mature plant. I managed to find and gather some Zombie flowers in the 3rd cavern and now I can farm them absolutely everywhere. Hopefully I soon find all the others :D

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2014, 05:04:42 pm »

looks like the Archeologist reactions do not work for warlocks. I have some relics and old chests but all I can do in the Archeologist workshop is the Excavate stones(5) job. (before someone asks, there are no burrows or stockpile links)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57