Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The V.A.M.P.I.R.E Project  (Read 5506 times)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The V.A.M.P.I.R.E Project
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 12:05:19 pm »

Yay! The seal of approval!

In the other hand, that hugs and kisses elemental terrifies me.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:23 am »

I'm afraid something is wrong with my vampirizer setup. I have the tigerlady walled of in a small room bordering the contaminated cistern, and the only tile she can drink from has the corpse of a vampire 1 z-level down. The tile is read with "Olon whatever's blood", and there are spatters on the walls, on the corpse and on the floor of the tile, but the tigerwoman has already drunk two times and never transformed. What is it I am doing wrong here?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 08:12:01 am »

But how do you know it hasn't worked? It won't outright say she's a vampire, just like it won't outright say when one of your dwarves is a vampire. Let her loose in your fort and see if anyone turns up dead. Also, if you haven't slabbed the vampire, do it now.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 09:12:55 am »

well she keeps drinking and eating and sleeping and the description of her physical attributes hasn't changed, so I figure she's still normal. Vamp's been slabbed of course. Perhaps you could link me to a save with or a description of a working vampirizer so that I could for flaws in my design.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »

I remember there was some quirkiness in water and contaminants.  I believe the reason the well was used in the original setup because only it puts contaminants into drinked water.
I also remember some mentions about using the grates, something like that when creature drinks through floor grate, it licks contaminants on it.
It has been a while since I've read that so nothing is certain but that's your chance.
You'd need to create another dwarf vampire to stain the grate though.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:46 pm »

I managed to get an entire dwarven fort successfully vampirized by having a pool of blood at the bottom of a well. I think a contaminated tile of water won't do - you need a well. Try excavating above the tigerlady's cell and building a well that dips into the spot; then get a dwarf locked in with just the well for beverage, and see if he transforms. Then you'll have a test case, and additional ammo for a new vampirizer if you need one.

On the other hand, I have no idea if you can get tigerlady to drink from a well...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:49 pm »

Tigermen won't use wells.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 01:14:36 am »

thanks guys
so my next steps will be to get a well up above the contaminated tile, obtain a few more dwarf vampires, then perforate them over an obligatory artifact grate each fortress seems to have and put that grate right above the contaminated tile in tigerlady's apartment. Looks pretty straightforward, surely nothing can go wrong!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 03:59:13 am »

then perforate them over an obligatory artifact grate each fortress seems to have and put that grate right above the contaminated tile in tigerlady's apartment.
No, no, no. You need to put that grate above the water and then perforate vampire over it.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 04:34:21 am »

Are you sure you have enough Vamp blood in the water to make it actually contaminated?

I haven't tried to make any Vamps in a while, but I remember it taking a lot more blood than I thought it would.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:51 am »

then perforate them over an obligatory artifact grate each fortress seems to have and put that grate right above the contaminated tile in tigerlady's apartment.
No, no, no. You need to put that grate above the water and then perforate vampire over it.
That seems kind of non-trivial, because how exactly can I cause damage to a vampire stnding on top of the grate? making it wear steel helmet uniform and dropping copper spears from above seems feasible but maybe there are easier ways?

Are you sure you have enough Vamp blood in the water to make it actually contaminated?

I haven't tried to make any Vamps in a while, but I remember it taking a lot more blood than I thought it would.

I'm afraid I have to answer I don't know here. What ways are there to tell if the water has indeed become contaminated, apart from creatures drinking it becoming vampires?

EDIT: perhpas I can just drop the vampire 15+ z-level to ensure it blows apart on impact and spatters blood all over the place? Do reatures blow on impact when colliding with grates or does it require solid floor?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:06:04 am by nanomage »
Pages: 1 2 [3]