Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The V.A.M.P.I.R.E Project  (Read 5509 times)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
The V.A.M.P.I.R.E Project
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:51:20 pm »

Due to some research in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138587.0 this thread, a way to make (theoretically) infinite vampires. Well, they're animal men vampires, but still vampires.

Which brings us to the V.A.M.P.I.R.E project, or Vampiric Animal Men Produced In Ridiculous quantitiEs. While the benefits of having animal men vampires are still not clear, having an undead army of half-animal half-human monstrosities is still awesome. How do you do this? Well...

1. Embark in a savage area. You're going to need a large supply of animal men.

2. Acquire vampire.

3. Catch blood sucking animal men. Some candidates are leech men, tick men, and mosquito women. (Only female mosquito men bite)

4. Pit bloodsuckers with your other dwarven bloodsucker. If s/he dies, you'll have a plentiful source for making more anyway.

5. Wait for a bite attack to draw blood from the wound.

6. Congrats! You now have a room full of vampires!

Once again, animal men vampires haven't been tested much, so they may or may not work differently from the dwarven variety. At the very least, it's a renewable source of vampire blood/ichor.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The V.A.M.P.I.R.E Project
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:01:50 pm »

This is crazy....

I like it.  :)

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:14:51 am »

I've done some science in the arena regarding bloodsuckers and can confirm that this works fine.
However, I'm still quite curious to see how animal man vampires interact with dwarves in fortress mode.

Two points to consider researching:
-Would they drain sleeping dwarves like any regular vampire?
-Would this behaviour be affected by their wild/tame state?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:27:46 am by Prismatic »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:10:53 am »

You forgot the most important question, "How can this be weaponized?"
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:46 am »

I imagine shaft-enlightened vampire bug men could do quite a bit of damage to sieges, or at least eleven ones. Extra points for using their former friends against them!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:20:55 am »

I'm afraid getting them to fight goblins without modding might present a problem. Goblin siegers seem to ignore wildlife completely, and I believe vampire mosquito women are still classified as "Wild Animals"

However, now that I think of it more, we probably can get tame vampire tigermen by making them drink contaminated water (they do drink water afaik)

edit: I'd say this calls for a community fortress to fully explore the madness of animalmen vampirification. Seven brave explorers should embark boldly upon a savage mangrove swamp where no dwarf has gone before and conduct some morbid science on the indigenous populations!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:24:21 am by nanomage »

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »

I usually embark on savage areas anyway, but acquiring a vampire may be difficult. I never seem to get them. And the massive amount of cage traps and cages to catch the test subjects reliably is a massive headache.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »

I imagine shaft-enlightened vampire bug men could do quite a bit of damage to sieges, or at least eleven ones. Extra points for using their former friends against them!

That's ridiculous. It's not even funny.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »

Whoops, that was supposed to be elven. As in the sissy tree huggers with wooden weapons, not 11 goblin sieges. That is ridiculous, but I do find the images of bug people tearing apart 11 sieges at once hilarious.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, combat stats (stats, not skills) get doubled when you become a vampire. This can probably be used to full extent by making some sentient creature tameable via exotic_pet or something.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:13 am »

Here's the plan.

1. obtain vampires (get one from mountain home, multiply them with the sucking animalmen bite attack, whatever)
2. tame some tigermen (catch them, buy some from the elven slavers, anything goes).
3. contaminate your tigermen drinking area with vampire blood or rather construct your tigermen drinking area on top or a vampire subjected to frequent stabbing injuries.
4. Make them drink from that area- shouldn't be too hard.
5. Now vampire tigermen are much more formidable than pesky mosquito women or tick men. First, they have 120k size against various bug peoplo 30-40k. Second they have excellent natural weapons - claws and teeth and the devastating shaking attack. Third, vampirification makes them immune to pain and thus to passing out due to small fractures, which is exactly the weakest point in all war animals.
6. As a bonus point, use an upright artifact wooden spear or spike to boost their skills to enourmous heights.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

Squidgen, add to the OP that leech men are blind, small, and incredibly weak. Tick and mosquito (wo)men are small as well.

Also, in my mod, I have animal men civilizations which are hostile. I recently generated a world with tick men. This is going to be fun.

Nanomage, I skimmed your plan and thought it was awful. Then I read closer and saw it was cool. In fact, that's even better than our plans!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 08:57:49 am »

ok, reporting back.

I'm starting to lean toward the opinion that my idea is completely useless in vanilla. With the huge amounts of various arthropod men and bird men and mollusc men clogging the wilderness, the chances of actually getting a breeding pair of tigermen to visit are infinitesimal. I had no idea that might present a difficulty, but now i think it's pretty much a showstopper. Elves haven't been of any help either.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:07 am »

ok, reporting back.

I'm starting to lean toward the opinion that my idea is completely useless in vanilla. With the huge amounts of various arthropod men and bird men and mollusc men clogging the wilderness, the chances of actually getting a breeding pair of tigermen to visit are infinitesimal. I had no idea that might present a difficulty, but now i think it's pretty much a showstopper. Elves haven't been of any help either.

You need a world where elves rule a tropical biome, I'm pretty sure that spawns them. In my experience, in worlds where elves enslave tigermen, they enslave a lot of them .
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:32 am »

ok, reporting back.

You need a world where elves rule a tropical biome, I'm pretty sure that spawns them. In my experience, in worlds where elves enslave tigermen, they enslave a lot of them .
yeah that's my last hope. i've started a fort that's in a regular non-savage biome itself but the neighboring elven city is in savage tropical dry broadleaf forest. Two years in and no tigermen yet but a man has to hope. 
Pages: [1] 2 3