Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: procedually generated creatures in entity files  (Read 2612 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
procedually generated creatures in entity files
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:04:51 am »

Say, has anyone ever entered TITAN_#, FORGOTTEN_BEAST_#, DEMON_#, WEREBEAST_#, or NIGHTCREATURE_# in the creature field of an entity? If the hypothesis is correct, than they are generated before the civs are placed, and procedually generated civ members are a thing.

Just imagine babysnatching demons, ambushing werebeast, titan sieges and forgotten beast caravans. Different ones; for every world you gen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ThothTheScribe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: procedually generated creatures in entity files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:52:24 am »

Standing by for FUN. And hopefully playing as a Forgotten Beast in adventure mode.  :P

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:47:52 am »

PTW, and I think I remember something a while ago. Meph or Deon may have been involved. I don't think the experimenter actually posted the results. Search 'playing as forgotten beasts', that might bring it up.

EDIT: Found it and it was Putnam.
DOUBLEEDIT: Found another good resource while searching for demon raws.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:23:05 pm by TheFlame52 »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »

I've done something like that for playing demon outsiders in adventure mode. It worked fine.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »

I actually have some random demon raws now. I got them using the utility DFWorldTinker. If anyone wants them, I'll upload them to DFFD.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:20:57 pm »

I actually have some random demon raws now. I got them using the utility DFWorldTinker. If anyone wants them, I'll upload them to DFFD.
I've got a script that can do the same thing - works with versions 0.31.01 through 0.34.11, and it's straightforward to adapt it to newer versions as they are released.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:02 am »

Neither of those links work. They work, they point to stuff, but the advice in them doesn't work.

Adding an entity with:

[ENTITY:CLOWNADVENTURE]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [ADVENTURE_TIER:4]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_1]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_2]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_3]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_4]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_5]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_6]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_7]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_8]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_9]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_10]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_11]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_12]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_13]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_14]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_15]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_16]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_17]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_18]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_19]
   [CREATURE:DEMON_20]

Accomplished exactly nothing. Didn't stop world gen. Didn't show up in legends. Didn't generate any errors. Didn't allow demons in adventure mode.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 01:09:21 am »

I copied that entity into my version of DF and genned a small world using the standard settings, and couldn't select them either.

Then I DL'd version 0.31.25 of DF to see if that entity would work, since it was the version that was current when the question was asked in the adventure questions thread.

I also added [CREATURE:TITAN_1] through to [CREATURE:TITAN_10], and genned a small world, and was able to choose to play as a titan or demon. Though it was only possible to play as five different titans, which was probably because the game only generated five types of titan in that world.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:17:41 am »

I am less interested in playing as them as an adventurer, more in a sieging civ for fort mode, which should work fine. :) Obviously better and worse in different worlds, for example a civ of flying FBs would be broken (no pathfinding for them), but overall I think it would work nicely. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:38:57 am »

I'm about 4/5 of the way done with a clown civ for the mod in my signature. 33 castes made from actual clowns. That's sorta what you wanted, right?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:42 am »

I also tried it as a civ and it also did not work.

Presumably there's a good chance of it working in version 0.31.25 but seemingly not the current one, given the above post.

I tried all sorts of things including merely replacing dwarf in mountain civ with different iterations of demon(s) as well as from-scratch civs.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:52:48 pm »

Presumably there's a good chance of it working in version 0.31.25 but seemingly not the current one, given the above post.

I tried all sorts of things including merely replacing dwarf in mountain civ with different iterations of demon(s) as well as from-scratch civs.
I'm not sure when I tried this the last time (I think I did when the procedural demons etc first came out), but the best I got with the procedural creatures was adventurers only (outsider type only even, I believe). I might have tried with the procedural hags/trolls, but I'm not sure. I suspect the problem here is that the creatures may be generated after the raws are read and the civilization structure finalized, and at that time, world gen has no idea what a DEMON_1 is supposed to be - but when you start an adventurer, the game looks at the entity structure, sees a DEMON_1, and says "Okay, one brute of iron, coming right up."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »

I'm not sure when I tried this the last time (I think I did when the procedural demons etc first came out), but the best I got with the procedural creatures was adventurers only (outsider type only even, I believe). I might have tried with the procedural hags/trolls, but I'm not sure. I suspect the problem here is that the creatures may be generated after the raws are read and the civilization structure finalized, and at that time, world gen has no idea what a DEMON_1 is supposed to be - but when you start an adventurer, the game looks at the entity structure, sees a DEMON_1, and says "Okay, one brute of iron, coming right up."
That makes sense if procedurally generated stuff is procedurally generated after entities are spawned.  In an upcoming version (though not sure the imminent one), groups will be founding new entities after Year 1.  This may not help all by itself since it's unlikely that a few breeding pairs of DEMON_1's are going to huddle together in the same ruin, but it might re-arrange the order of operations during world gen.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

Now I am sad. I just tried to gen a world with a fortress civ of DEMON_1 creatures. Doesnt world, the world gen cancels every time when it tries to place the civ. :(

I might do some more tests with forgotten beasts and titans at least, but I dont think it will work.

Workaround: Gen a world, extract the procedual creature from the raws, add all of them to your civs, gen a new world with the old procedually creatures as part of your raws. Thats almost as good.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 04:37:43 pm »

Workaround: Gen a world, extract the procedual creature from the raws, add all of them to your civs, gen a new world with the old procedually creatures as part of your raws. Thats almost as good.
That's what I did, except I combined more than one demon into one creature using castes.
Pages: [1] 2