Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 15: Arctic Expedition: I. HEAR. A. SOUND.  (Read 66335 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 15: Arctic Expedition: I. HEAR. A. SOUND.
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2014, 01:42:10 pm »

Jobasio groaned, clutching his head and trying to get his bearings as he hung from the straps of his seat.
The whole driver's compartment seemed to be spinning, but he tried not to focus on that- had to work out what was going on.

"Ughhn..." He groans again, then jabs at his wristpad, trying to bring up a comms channel to Steve.
"Steve? Do you read me? Are we clear of... whatever's happening back there? Or do we need to run for it on foot?"
Then he glances around the APC and at the others in the back, then braces his feet against the dash to steady himself as he awaits a response.
"You lot alright back there...?"

>Try and contact Steve, to ask him if we made it far enough to escape whatever's happening back at the dig site.

>Assess myself for any injuries. Check on the rest of the team in the back.
Then work out the easiest, quickest way to escape the APC should we need to in a hurry- is my seat in the side nearest the ground, or am I hanging a fair distance up? Is Whig still in one piece? Grab her if I can reach her.

Edit: If Steve tells me we aren't far enough, try and kick out the windshield. If that doesn't work, open the door nearest me and climb out. Once I'm out, just run as fast as possible away from the dig site. If the vicious winds make running impossible, crawl. Crawl like an angry rage-filled toddler on a mission of vengeance. Crawl like my life depends on it, since it does.

If Steve says we're safe, just sit, chill, and watch the fireworks from where I am.
The radio is nothing but garbled static; maybe the storm, maybe some side effect of whatever the hell is going on now. Either way, he's out of contact with you, and you with him. But you have the distinct, sinking feeling that you aren't far enough from the epicenter of the shitstorm. Honestly, you don't think there's such a thing as "Too far away" from shit like that. So, nothing to it but to try and get a little farther.

You unlatch the seatbelt and fall sideways into the passenger side door. Pain shoots through your chest left arm. You can't really tell whats broken, but if you had to guess, probably a few ribs, hairline fracture in the arm, maybe some internal bleeding, just to spice things up. You grab your rifle and climb out through the driver's side door, now  pointed straight up in the air. The world outside is a maelstrom of formless white and directionless, swirling wind. You climb down from the APC, bash the side of it a few times with the butt of your rifle, and scream for anyone inside to get moving. And then you run. You turn your back on the boiling light behind you and just run as best you can, through knee deep snow and the pain jabbing in your side every time you breathe.

"Blargh...why is the room spinning?" Michael looks around for a minute. "So, you think we're at minimum safe distance? Because I for one am fucked if we have to get out and run for it, heh. Ow."

Assess current situation/injuries. Michael tries to figure out a way to keep up if forced to run for it with the others, barring that, a way to live through what's next.

Vincent rubs his forhead as the world stops spinning. Looking down, Vincent unbuckles himself in a way that has him land on the floor on his feet. If Michael needs help, help him out of his seat. "Are we clear of danger? If not, I'll carry Michael" Vincent then tries to open the hatch door of the APC. If they receive word from Steve that they still need distance, have Michael piggyback Vincent, and start running

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When the APC comes to a stop, Mike is unconscious, laying in a corner, broken seatbelt still around his waist and chest. Vincent unbluckles himself is crouching over Mike, checking if he's even still alive, when someone bangs on the side of the apc and the faint words "RUN FOR IT!" can just be heard over the roar of the storm outside. Vincent half groans, half screams out of frustration and picks up the body of his unconscious teammate, throwing the man over his shoulder. He hits the open button on the back door and squeezes through as soon as it has struggled open enough for him to get out. Even though he's only maybe 15 seconds behind Jobasio, no more then a hundred feet away, he can't see him or anything for that matter. Everything is swirling nothing. A world made of white noise. He sets off, away from the light.

((Yay, still alive for the moment. But are we still in the line of fire for the bombardment?))

Keep doing what I'm doing. Specifically, hanging in Mesk's arm as a broken lump of a body
"We're not out of this yet.  I won't feel safe until we're out of this system, really.  Just hold tight... I wouldn't have left you behind, regardless of how bad you might have fucked up.  Would've been nothing, compared to what's going on now..."
Slow down to a slightly less fuel-guzzling speed, but keep gaining distance on the site.  Try and keep it just on the edge of vision until the bombardment.  Open a channel up to the ship.
"Paracelsus' Sword, this is Mesk with Jason and Dubley.  Please acknowledge.  Don't know if you're receiving this yet, or if you saw what's happening on the ground... I can't exactly explain it, but trust me when I say don't hold back with the bombardment.  Whatever's in there needs to be vapourized."
"Thanks for saving me Mesk, bro. I wasn't sure if you were gonna. Honestly, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't."
Hang in there.
Mesk cuts some of the power from the rockets and levels off into a straight horizontal flight. The countdown over the radio continues, getting ever closer to zero. When the timer finally runs out, the announcement changes.

>Payload away. Directional thrusters engaged. Matching calculated trajectory. Time till impact estimated at 238 seconds. All ground units, continue egress.

The men on the ground would never have seen the shell, even if they didn't have their back to it, running blind through a blizzard. Even on a clear day when they were looking for it, they never would have seen it. Even Mesk, from his high vantage point, would have seen nothing as the round- a tungsten slug the size of a semitruck- punched down through the cloud layer at 40,000 feet per second. The detonation that followed, though bright enough to blind anyone looking in its direction for several miles, and powerful enough to utterly vaporize the ice sheet and 50 feet of solid stone beneath it, was only a fraction of what it could have been. Steve hadn't fired the round so much as just released it, dropped it from orbit and let gravity do the work. If he had actually fired it from the cannons with the full might of relativistic speeds which they can harness, there would be men 100 miles away struck dead just by the overpressure of the shockwave, which would turn their lungs, and any other vacant area in their chest cavities into a bloody mush.  As it was, the round filled the sky with a blast not too far removed from the familiar mushroom cloud of a nuclear impact, a new, somehow comforting sun which replaced the alien flame spouting from the rising abomination. Mesk and his cargo are far enough to enjoy the sight, but the men on the ground find themselves buried in several feet of radioactive snow.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »

((soooooo.... Dead? =P))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2014, 02:33:14 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2014, 02:54:32 pm »

Last I checked, my torso was leaking robot blood and sparking randomly. Is that a problem?
Also, one of my arms was hanging on by a few strands of robomuscle. Is that arm still there? Is that hand undamaged?

Would it be possible to remove a leg, attach it to my shoulder, then remove the foot and replace it with a hand? Then use a pegleg or a crutch to walk.

Prepare handiwork bonus.

"Pretty. I want one of those guns."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2014, 03:15:53 pm »

Scenario 1: (It has been less than ten minutes of walking away from the APC)

Vincent winces as the ground shakes from the explosion. Seeing the ice, now snow, thrust into the sky, Vincent fiddles with the settings on his laser to switch it to a heat shotgun, turns on his comms and says calmly, before then switching them off and shouting "Jobasio! If you can hear me, I am heading back to the APC to weather out the rest of the storm!", and trudges him and Michael back to the APC, firing his heat shotgun in quick bursts to deal with impeding snow.

Scenario 2: (It has been more than 10 minutes of walking away from the APC)

Vincent winces as the ground shakes from the explosion. Seeing the ice, now snow, thrust into the sky, Vincent fiddles with the settings on his laser to switch it to a heat shotgun, turns on his comms and says calmly, before then switching them off and shouting "Jobasio! Can you hear me? We should stick together, wait in one spot, and weather out the storm, after the storm is finished we should change the settings on our laser rifles to use as little battery while producing as much light as they can, and start firing in short bursts into the sky" Vincent then checks his wristpad to see if it is able to help him locate Jobasio

Scenario 3: (I'm Dead)

Wellllll shiiiiiiiit~...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:26:07 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »

"Neat. Pretty colors. Hey Mesk, you think Steve is sending a shuttle to get us, or do we need to make something bright and triangular for him to see?" Jason asks, still hanging limply.

Watch pretty explosion.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:15 pm »

"That's the most beautiful sight I've ever seen.  Um... probably best to get a triangle built just in case they think we're all dead.  Suits should protect us from radiation but they didn't acknowledge our communications the first time... don't know if there was an EMP attached to that Rod from God, but our chances of patching through probably haven't got better."
Turn around, get closer to the blast site.  Touch down and continue on foot if fuel reaches 20%.  Determine from as far away as possible whether the site is clear.  Keep an eye out for any signs of the APC or buried people/objects.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2014, 06:04:50 pm »

?

((Same question as Xantalos here- status check?))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »

Jobasio grimaced. "Sound off- who's still alive?"
He spoke through the comms, his voice little more than an exhausted wheeze. He was grateful, at least, that he had a helmet and fully-insulated spacesuit to keep him protected from the snow piled over him. It was rather peaceful, really. He wondered if this was what the afterlife looked like? Making sure he still held Whig in his uninjured hand, he took a brief moment to catch his breath before trying to struggle his way to freedom.
"I seem to be, erm, trapped under a good amount of snow, here."

>Try and get myself out from beneath this snow, strapping my rifle across my torso so as not to lose it.
Presumably just wriggling upwards won't work, so try digging above myself with my good arm to form a hole in the snow.

...All of this is assuming I'm still alive and conscious, of course.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:48 pm »

Wake up. Alternatively, Dream I'm an A-list and multimillion-dollar Hollywood director with a fondness for explosions
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »

?
Go reincarnate on Heph, ya stain on reality you.

Last I checked, my torso was leaking robot blood and sparking randomly. Is that a problem?
Also, one of my arms was hanging on by a few strands of robomuscle. Is that arm still there? Is that hand undamaged?

Would it be possible to remove a leg, attach it to my shoulder, then remove the foot and replace it with a hand? Then use a pegleg or a crutch to walk.

Prepare handiwork bonus.

"Pretty. I want one of those guns."
You'll live.
Both arms are gone.
With help, you might be able to become hilariously crippled in that new and exciting way.
Prepared.

Scenario 1: (It has been less than ten minutes of walking away from the APC)

Vincent winces as the ground shakes from the explosion. Seeing the ice, now snow, thrust into the sky, Vincent fiddles with the settings on his laser to switch it to a heat shotgun, turns on his comms and says calmly, before then switching them off and shouting "Jobasio! If you can hear me, I am heading back to the APC to weather out the rest of the storm!", and trudges him and Michael back to the APC, firing his heat shotgun in quick bursts to deal with impeding snow.

Scenario 2: (It has been more than 10 minutes of walking away from the APC)

Vincent winces as the ground shakes from the explosion. Seeing the ice, now snow, thrust into the sky, Vincent fiddles with the settings on his laser to switch it to a heat shotgun, turns on his comms and says calmly, before then switching them off and shouting "Jobasio! Can you hear me? We should stick together, wait in one spot, and weather out the storm, after the storm is finished we should change the settings on our laser rifles to use as little battery while producing as much light as they can, and start firing in short bursts into the sky" Vincent then checks his wristpad to see if it is able to help him locate Jobasio

Scenario 3: (I'm Dead)

Wellllll shiiiiiiiit~...
You are 4 feet under radioactive snow and debris. Moving your arms to get to your gun, if you even still have it, is gonna be hard.

"Neat. Pretty colors. Hey Mesk, you think Steve is sending a shuttle to get us, or do we need to make something bright and triangular for him to see?" Jason asks, still hanging limply.

Watch pretty explosion.
You watch as the light dulls and the clouds slowly crowd back into the crater.

"That's the most beautiful sight I've ever seen.  Um... probably best to get a triangle built just in case they think we're all dead.  Suits should protect us from radiation but they didn't acknowledge our communications the first time... don't know if there was an EMP attached to that Rod from God, but our chances of patching through probably haven't got better."
Turn around, get closer to the blast site.  Touch down and continue on foot if fuel reaches 20%.  Determine from as far away as possible whether the site is clear.  Keep an eye out for any signs of the APC or buried people/objects.
You circle down, landing near the edge of the crater. The ice sheet and anything that it contained is gone, reduced to powered stone and steam. As per teammates, beyond the two broken ones in your arms, you can't see anyone else. You think you can see just the very tip of the APC sticking out of the snow over there...but no sign of people.

Jobasio grimaced. "Sound off- who's still alive?"
He spoke through the comms, his voice little more than an exhausted wheeze. He was grateful, at least, that he had a helmet and fully-insulated spacesuit to keep him protected from the snow piled over him. It was rather peaceful, really. He wondered if this was what the afterlife looked like? Making sure he still held Whig in his uninjured hand, he took a brief moment to catch his breath before trying to struggle his way to freedom.
"I seem to be, erm, trapped under a good amount of snow, here."

>Try and get myself out from beneath this snow, strapping my rifle across my torso so as not to lose it.
Presumably just wriggling upwards won't work, so try digging above myself with my good arm to form a hole in the snow.

...All of this is assuming I'm still alive and conscious, of course.
You manage to get your arms free via wiggling and find Whig packed into the snow near you. You set it to wide shot and fire a few times until you've gotten yourself free. You struggle up and into the blowing snow. You don't see anyone around, through the wind and storm.

Wake up. Alternatively, Dream I'm an A-list and multimillion-dollar Hollywood director with a fondness for explosions
You wake up, embedded in snow and very unhappy.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2014, 04:24:22 pm »

If my floppy arm fell off, then there's no point as I won't be able to salvage a working hand.
Trudge towards the apc.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2014, 06:07:33 pm »

Quote from: Mesk Vraite | Message to: All
I haven't been able to raise anyone on the radio, so anybody in pad range who's still alive, report in.
Take a peek into the crater.  If anything moves inside, blast it.  If it's clear, head to the APC and start digging it out.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:21 pm »

Wiggle/claw/crawl my way out of the snow, once out, attempt to dig Michael and my laser out

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2014, 07:46:43 pm »

((Aren't Mesk's arms broken and clamped to the exoskeleton?))

"Do we have some flares in the APC? Maybe we could use them to call for evac and let the others know where we are."
Keep hanging out.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33