Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative to soldering?  (Read 2831 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Alternative to soldering?
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:23 pm »

So, I need to attach a bunch of wires to a bunch of led inputs (looks like this), but I despise soldering.  I'm just awful at it.  My hands are way to shaky and clumsy, and I can never get the wires to attach to the inputs and I'm afraid that because I spend so much time trying to attach the wires that the heat from my iron will bust the leds.   >:(

So I need an alternative that is a bit easier.  Any suggestions would be helpful!  I was considering using blue sticky-tack, but figured I'd check here first in case somebody knows a reason why I shouldn't do that, or has a better idea.

Save me Bay 12, your my only hope!   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to soldering?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:31:14 pm »

Does it need to be permanent? If not, a breadboard could work. You should be able to find them in an electronics/hobby shop.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »

Does it need to be permanent? If not, a breadboard could work. You should be able to find them in an electronics/hobby shop.

Breadboard is normally what I'd use for this sort of thing, but I've got the LED's attached to a large aluminium sheet to act as a heatsink.  It wouldn't be possible to use a breadboard for this unfortunately.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »

I guess you could wind the wires around the inputs and then use electrical tape to hold them. It wouldn't be as strong as soldering, but it would at least be better than sticky-tack.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:13:44 pm »

Hmm, that isn't a bad idea.  Electrical tape ought to be fine with a bit of heat, eh?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:16:21 am »

There's always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap although it's not super-easy, it does take some practice.

And there's stuff like this http://www.amazon.com/pieces-Silver-Conductive-Electronics-Applications/dp/B00FEFTHK0/  look for "conductive glue" for others.  I've never used it, but the similar products seem to get pretty mediocre reviews.

And are you sure you can't use breadboards?  They make really small ones that you could use multiples of if needed.  Like these things, about a buck apiece shipped: http://www.amazon.com/Breadboard-55-holes-Combined-Breadboards/dp/B00I6OBXRQ/  you could probably cut em in half or smaller.

Also a tip:  I have sorta shaky hands, and I remember when I was soldering I found it easier to set it up so I could move the parts/roll of solder/soldering iron along the table to get them together instead of trying to hold 2 things freehand.  Or I used piles of books/wood so I could at least rest my wrists against them, it definitely helped.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »

Yeah, I can't use breadboards.  I'm taking a bunch of those star leds and I've thermal-pasted them to a big sheet of aluminium to act as a heatsink.  If I have the breadboard under the leds, then they won't be in contact with the heatsink, if I put the breadboard over the leds, they would block the light. 

I think the electrical tape should work, I should have thought of that myself first, but I'm pretty incompetent at building things.   :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:29:05 pm »

I read the title as "soldiering", and envisioned some form of Soldier of Fortune asking around for alternatives to earning money as a simple mercenary.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »

I read the title as "soldiering", and envisioned some form of Soldier of Fortune asking around for alternatives to earning money as a simple mercenary.
Me too. I don't really like soldering either, but it is a great alternative to soldiering.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:28:43 pm »

Alligator clips! Lots of alligator clips.
Then electrical tape just to stop them shorting out on one another, but it doesn't have to hold anything.
(or the rubberized alligator clips)

Or arduinos - connect the wires digitally (sort of like the breadboard suggestion, but more powerful and smaller though requiring software familiarization). Doesn't solve heatsinks and other weird components, but it does greatly minimize the number of things you have to connect with wires by doing all of the basic transistor type logic for you. Then alligator clips for the rest.

edit: arduino doesn't work, I see what you mean by the LEDs now.

But what might work is a breadboard with the LEDs in it, and THEN just fill up the whole area between the breadboard and the LEDs (i.e. in and around their legs) with some substance that conducts heat but not electricity. For example distilled water. But there's probably some sort of foam or paste that would be much more convenient.
       ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
\~~~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~~~~~/
 \___===========______/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:37:53 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 10:43:07 am »

I second Gav's suggestion, if you can't use a breadboard then your next best option would be alligator clips.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »

I second Gav's suggestion, if you can't use a breadboard then your next best option would be alligator clips.

Eh, I ended up using bluetack because the electrical tape didn't stick very well.  I don't think I described by problem very well.  :P  I'm not trying to connect two wires.

Code: [Select]
_   _   _   _   _   <-- Star LED's connected to the plate via thermal paste.
-------------------  <-- aluminium plate

I think the bluetack should work, although not as reliable as soldering.  I was reading that it doesn't soften in heat until about 100 degrees Celsius, which should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:01:33 pm by Levi »