Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blade Symphony - Cut Dude Fight Game on Steam  (Read 2626 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Blade Symphony - Cut Dude Fight Game on Steam
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:37:28 am »

I'm surprised nobody's made a thread about this yet.  It just came out on steam.

Blade Symphony's a "tactical swordfighting" game by the same people who made the Dystopia mod for HL2.  There's a few different modes but primarily it's a game about dueling.  Two dudes enter, one dude dies.  Unlike traditional fighting games there's only one attack button that's modified by factors like your stance and movement.  Not at all like mount and blade and such, combat's very flashy and mobile with a lot of different fancy and not-so-fancy moves.

It's also got a brick wall learning curve.  There's four characters and five weapons.  Each character has his own moveset and fighting style, and the different weapons have their own properties as well.  While using different weapons doesn't change a character's moveset, they radically alter the way he's played, so there's a ton of different ways to play and quite a few viable ones.  There's four different stances, Air, Fast, Balanced, and Heavy, and you can switch between them to combo, going from Heavy 1 to Fast 2 and 3 then jumping in the air and resetting for an Air 1 for example.  It's a lot of work to mix up combos instead of staying in one stance, but it can be worth it to throw people off.

Spoiler: The Dudes (click to show/hide)

All of the characters are viable at all levels of play from what I've seen, and if there's a meta I haven't seen it, which is very nice.  All the weapons are viable as well*, but probably not on every character.

Spoiler: The Cutting Implements (click to show/hide)

There's a ton of different weapons, though the stats are all identical, available for unlock with the game's currency.  There's no free-to-play mechanics involved, you can only earn stuff through gameplay.  The game's also integrated with steam workshop and there's already a sizable collection of player made weapons and masks.

Anybody play?  What character and weapon do you use?

Personally I've been playing katana phalanx.  It's a change of pace from the fastspam rapiers that often surprises people, and since nobody uses feints it's double surprising.  I've gotten a couple kills on Diamond and Master tier players with it by exploiting the feint mechanics.  Phalanx's parries are very strong because of the rapier synergy.  Feinting and parrying with a heavy side attack will do half a player's health, and he has a bunch of hilarious air-cancels available with the feint.  Jump+Airfeint+Air is basically a doublejump that always catches people by surprise, or you can airfeint and Q to teleport grab.  Tons of fun.

Come join the Cut Dude Fighstravaganza and Cut Dudes.

Oh my god this thread's a mess.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:39:26 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: Blade Symphony - Cut Dude Fight Game on Steam
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:03:05 am »

i don't have it, but want it, so ptw

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:30:17 am »

It seems very chaotic and there appears to be no stamina bar or anything like it (so you can let the enemy power himself out or counter him)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:14 pm »

There's no stamina bar, no.  It can be pretty chaotic especially early on, but as you play you get a better feel or the different moves characters can use and the flow of the fight. 

Counters are still a big part of the game, whether by parries (recognize the enemy's stance by his posture, predict his attack, and hit it with a well-timed side attack) or just by maneuvering so that your weapon hits him while he's open.

The actual combat is all played straight, there's no i-frames and swinging your weapon creates a "tracer" that does damage when it touches the enemy's character model.  So there's plenty of countering to be done in the traditional sense.  Judgment especially thrives off knowing where you're going to be when your attack finishes and making sure there's a sword there.
Shoes...

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:21:10 pm »

I've been playing this too ! I mostly play Pure (with a longsword), but I'm starting to learn Judgement as a side character.
I'm not very good, but still good enough to win 100% against noobs and bots.

Pure is ... interesting to play, but maybe the weakest character.
She also has a few strong points, for instance her tier 1 heavy-right attack has a great reach if you look at the right angle, with also decent speed and great damage.
Her tier 1 light-left attack is pretty good to get behind an enemy, and some of her charged attacks and combos are really interesting and devastating (like air into heavy attack, with short reach but strong and fast, and the air attack can land you behind the enemy).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:35:54 pm by Sirian »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:01:19 pm »

I got this as an impulse buy around Christmas when it was on sale.  I've been wanting a game with a good melee combat system other than M&B for a very long time. 

This is not the one.  I regret wasting money on it.  I feel like I have no control over my character.  My attacks have me flying all over the place, and there's no logic or rhythm to it.  My movements don't feel like they have any relation to the controls I'm using, and it feels like a matter of luck as to who connects first with a hit whenever I fight someone.  Something as simple as standing still and aiming an attack at a stationary target in front of me felt near impossible.  I could stand still and just press the attack button and nothing else, and my character would leap and roll all over the place and strike in every direction except right in front of me.

I guess the game expects me to spend a ton of time studying all the move sets to figure out where my character moves and strikes with all the different control combinations, but I've always felt like that's horrible game design.  Controls in a fighting game should be as simple as possible, while offering interesting dynamics.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:06 pm »

I could stand still and just press the attack button and nothing else, and my character would leap and roll all over the place and strike in every direction except right in front of me.

Don't play Pure :3

Aside from maybe Ryoku, pure is the only character with that problem.  Almost all of Phalanx's attacks are straightforward thrusts and slashes, and Judgment likewise.  Pure is strong if you're very good with her but there's a huge skill ceiling because of her flashy moves.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:35:43 am »

I got this as an impulse buy around Christmas when it was on sale.  I've been wanting a game with a good melee combat system other than M&B for a very long time. 

What do you think about Chivalry?  It definitely has understandable controls down, you have 3 moves and a kick.  The variations come on where you're looking and standing when you attack, chaining attacks together, and the fact that blocks have to be aimed in the general direction of an oncoming attack.

It has its own irritants, but if you can look past them it has a good melee system.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:58:38 am »

Funny you ask... I just posted my thoughts on Chivalry in the M&B thread a few minutes ago :P

M&B does severely lack polish in many areas, and I hope M&B 2 addresses that.  But the feel of combat is the one area where I don't think that applies.  Out of every pc game I've played that tries to do a melee combat system more in-depth than "attack / power attack / block / counter", M&B's feels by far the most fluid.  The controls are responsive and intuitive, and things connect when it looks and feels like they should.

Chivalry feels like sort of a cheap knock-off by comparison.  The visuals and stuff blow M&B away, of course, but I just can't get the feel for the combat.  It works basically the same as M&B -- you attack and block according to your momentum and mouse movement.  But the timing of my character's actions feels really weird, and the controls and hit detection just don't feel nearly as responsive.  And it seems to have more lag problems, even on the lowest ping servers I could find.  Not good for a completely online game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 08:18:15 am »

I also gave Chivalry a try.  It's fun in small groups but once more than four or five people are around it kind of turns into a clusterfuck.
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

Ha, Chivalry. I played a ton of Archer (because ranged classes are all I play in any game when there's an option) and I found it incredibly annoying how mobile everyone was. Unlike real life, where changing the direction of your momentum is difficult and tiring, you can do it freely in Chivalry without any penalty bar a bit of speed loss. This translates to everyone moving in insanely hard-to-predict zigzags, which makes hitting them in the head with an arrow nigh impossible. When you do score a hit, it's 50% luck.

Tried the melee combat too, and it was pretty cool, but there's not a terribly high skill ceiling. It doesn't matter how skilled you are at the game if 2+ decent players attack you at the same time (since you can't block more than 1 attack), which means the game suffers greatly from ganking syndrome just like every other competitive multiplayer game.

Blade Symphony seems to be trying to avoid things like this by making most of the fights straight up duels, which is probably a good idea. I'm just a bit worried that with limited gameplay styles, it won't be fun for very long.

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:51 am »

it reminds me jedi academy multi  :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:19 pm »

Bringing this back up because it's on sale for the next 12 hours and a whole lot of fun. It's hard to find a ton of people to play against who aren't stunningly good, but I at least held my own in a lot of the matches I've played on the friendly servers. The learning curve isn't as terrible as I thought it would be, but there is a ton of strategy, which surprised me for a game like this. It's hecka fun, and I highly recommend it.

Ryuku is the coolest ninja-fighter-guy. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it effectively, but his balanced-stance moves pretty much make you spin in circles around your enemy, and is pretty funny to watch even if I end up facing the wrong direction half of the time. Also, I end up using the ranged attack pretty much exclusively when people are about to hit me, but that's when they least expect it!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »

I bought it and did the tutorials and I still have fucking no idea what I'm doing.

That said, I like the guy who can't seem to decide whether he's a knight or a samurai so he's just both at the same time.
Play online with me! I was in the [EAST] server but it's full so now I'm in "Meow".

EDIT: JK, I went back to US CENTRAL because everyone left Meow :(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:54:20 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:43 am »

I dunno how the balance has changed but Ryoku used to be my least favorite.

The knight's a pretty good starter character.  You do best by thinking of it like a samurai, being slow and conservative and calculating until you have an opening. His counterattacks and surprises are hugely punishing, a parried heavy strike with the katana can potentially one shot the enemy.

I haven't played in a long time but my old favorite was katana phalanx.  For one it's unexpected, phalanx players almost exclusively use rapier and they almost exclusively just spam fast attacks.  Phalanx's moveset is great for setting up parries and even better when you use the katana's feinting.  There's a ton of fun things you can do with it though the feinting aspect is usually only good against skilled players, noobs won't actually recognize and fall for the feints.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2