Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - GAME OVER! SCUM WIN!  (Read 58867 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - Day One
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2014, 12:54:49 am »

tn5421: I'm not sure what you mean by "slot" in your question.  Please clarify.

Also, Tiruin is female.  (General advice: if you don't know someone's gender, check their profile.  Most of us have noted our genders in our profiles.)

Sorry for forgetting the Q/A format, I'm used to doing @user: and/or using a post tag to link the post I'm talking about.  Example: @57: or [post]57[/post]
Ah.  We don't have nearly as simple a way to link directly to posts here, but giving post numbers with links to the posts is a fine alternative to quote-linking (for lack of a better term).
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2014, 01:02:07 am »

Jack A T: I'm still not comfortable with posing my questions like this, feels like I'm voting you over and over.
On mafiascum, it isn't rare to have someone replace out.  The following are the 9 slots of this game as of the start of the game:

• darkpaladin109
  • borno:
  • Fniff:
  • Scripten:
  • tn5421:
  • RangerCado:
  • Kansa:
  • Jack A T:
  • Tiruin:

If someone were to replace me, the slot/role would remain the same, but the player would be different.  It's basically another way to refer to a player, copping out of the complication that replacements cause.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 01:27:00 am »

tn5421: Ah, okay.
On question-posing method: If there's another method you'd rather use to show who you're posing questions to that is clear, is noticeable, and doesn't make anyone want to gouge their own eyes out, feel free to use it.

In response to your question: The fact that you've been scum twice before lacks relevance to the question of whether you were given scum now, considering all three games involved independent rolls for roles.  In addition, it is hard to effectively tell how you are as scum from those games, given One Day Mafia's incredible activity and Sprint's... stuff (you didn't seem bad in the latter, though), and I can't do much meta-analysis without both a larger sample and town games to compare them to.

Overall impact of your previous scum games on my feelings about your slot: not much.

Overall feelings about your slot: Not strong in any direction, the game having just started.

I'm going to sleep now.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2014, 01:35:12 am »

tn5421: Ah, okay.
On question-posing method: If there's another method you'd rather use to show who you're posing questions to that is clear, is noticeable, and doesn't make anyone want to gouge their own eyes out, feel free to use it.

In response to your question: The fact that you've been scum twice before lacks relevance to the question of whether you were given scum now, considering all three games involved independent rolls for roles.  In addition, it is hard to effectively tell how you are as scum from those games, given One Day Mafia's incredible activity and Sprint's... stuff (you didn't seem bad in the latter, though), and I can't do much meta-analysis without both a larger sample and town games to compare them to.

Overall impact of your previous scum games on my feelings about your slot: not much.

Overall feelings about your slot: Not strong in any direction, the game having just started.

I'm going to sleep now.

@Jack A T: Alright, sounds good.  I bolded the parts of the quote that I felt answered my question best.  Check my sig for town games.  I'm about to go to bed, too.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:03 am »

Jack A T:
borno: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, what scumtell (aside from lying) do you feel is scummiest in general?
Last game I played was a year ago now. I played a little too lurky I think, and so when the mafia fakeclaimed no-one believed me and I was lynched. In response to your second question, I think that chainsawing is scummiest, as a normal player would have no reason to defend another person so hard. The other ones can sometimes be explained though, and as a plus you may also learn his partner's identity.
To turn this question around, what do you think is the weakest scumtell?
RangerCado:
borno: Whats your preferred role as Town and why?
Cop, as having the certainty that someone is scum is a huge advantage.
If you were the jailkeeper and suspected that someone was the cop, would you jail them?
Scripten:
Everybody: Since this is a beginner's game, it's more likely that well-used scumtells will be less effective. What strategies do you think would be best in a situation like this, where players may not know what actions to avoid and which ones to look out for?
I would chose aggressive tunneling, as newbies are more likely to panic and drop scumtells.
Kansa: If you were a jailkeeper and were to choose between jailing a scummy or coppy player, which one would you pick?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2014, 07:07:39 am »

Scripten:I am honestly not sure, I would just look for anyone who seems suspicious or over defensive in their actions.

borno: I would choose to jail someone who seems to be a cop over a scummy player, it seems more important to protect the cop as if none of the mafia members have been found yet the night kill would still happen anyway. So it would be better to make sure the person with the important role does not die.

* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2014, 08:14:45 am »

Scripten: I will likely use my usual strategies, but be SLIGHTLY more lenient on my reads. Tells are still tells, and hiding behind the newb screen can only go so far before people don't care anymore and vote you out regardless. Were you planning on hiding behind that screen?

Not at all. I couldn't justify hiding behind total inexperience when I've played a couple of games already, and even if I were new, logically explaining my actions would help the town and thus myself, anyway. Such was the case in the last game I played and I don't believe I've seen any reason to not explain myself when confronted.
Scripten: While explaining to defend yourself, do you think you will end up trying to defend your reasons and actions during confrontation more than scum hunting others?

Tiruin: You recently participated in a game with this setup, but without the teaching elements: NSBM 4.  What did you learn from that game that you can apply to this game?
NSBM4?
Without the teaching elements? :x
Was I a bad IC then?

PFP examtime soon

Tiruin

Don't dodge the question.
tn5421: How is this dodging the question exactly? Shes both trying to confirm a question, and has RL coming in. Can you explain to me how this is a dodge?

Let me revise that:

Jack A T: How do you feel about my slot, knowing that I've been scum 2/2 completed games on this forum?

Sorry for forgetting the Q/A format, I'm used to doing @user: and/or using a post tag to link the post I'm talking about.  Example: @57: or [post]57[/post]
Just because you've been scum twice in other games, doesn't mean you'll likely be one now. This question doesn't really have much in the way of relavence, even during the RVS stage. Why did you ask this?

RangerCado:
borno: Whats your preferred role as Town and why?
Cop, as having the certainty that someone is scum is a huge advantage.
If you were the jailkeeper and suspected that someone was the cop, would you jail them?
borno: Fair. If it was Night 3, maybe. Night 1 and 2 has the major disadvantage of killing their chances of finding out who the mafia are. I would consider it Night 2 if I knew they were in trouble, but Night 1 has no purpose.

How would you pick your targets for your investigations as a cop?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 09:31:45 am »

Everybody: Since this is a beginner's game, it's more likely that well-used scumtells will be less effective. What strategies do you think would be best in a situation like this, where players may not know what actions to avoid and which ones to look out for?
Scumtells are essentially specific social mannerisms that are considered suspicious in the circumstances. People can tell when someone's acting shady, it's a natural human behavior. Since the Mafia are new too, we're on equal ground. I think if the group avoided forming into a mob and used their heads, we wouldn't need to adjust strategies.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32:49 am »

Sorry for not answering questions earlier, the game began when I was in bed due to timezones, and I can't write answers and such in school.
darkpaladin109: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, which role do you feel would help the town more: the cop or the jailkeeper?
My only mafia experiences are on this forum, but I don't know how to properly summarize it. I'm just bad at summarizing things, that's all. I'm not very good at Mafia due to the how I am as a person and such, though.
I think it could be dependent on the overall skill of the town. If they were unskilled, a cop could help more by finding scum and doing their best to point it out to the rest of the town, while an experienced town could use a jailkeeper more, as they would likely be able to spot scum more easily. I suppose my answer tends more to the overall skill of the scum, though.

DarkPaladin:
Who of the current players would be your ideal scum buddy?
I don't think I have played here long enough to determine exactly who, but if I had to guess, it might be Tiruin? I've seen that she's pretty good in most of the games I've read, at least.

Everyone: Who would be your ideal scum buddy, and why?

Sorry, it's the only question I can come up with right now, and I suppose it might help. I'm not very good at coming up with questions, one of the many things that make me bad at Mafia.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »

To turn this question around, what do you think is the weakest scumtell?
borno: "Lying" about prior in-thread events (which tends to just be poor memory, rather than deliberate lies).  Discrepancies in roleclaims tend to be actual lies, but false claims about prior in-thread events tend to be mistakes.

Sorry for not answering questions earlier, the game began when I was in bed due to timezones, and I can't write answers and such in school.
darkpaladin109: There's no need to apologize.  Just try to be active when you can.
Everyone: Who would be your ideal scum buddy, and why?
Out of the players here, Tiruin.  She's experienced at being scum, and a two-IC scumteam would be amusing.
I'm not very good at coming up with questions, one of the many things that make me bad at Mafia.
In the RVS phase, it can help to check previous games and use their RVS questions as models (or just outright reuse them).  Beyond RVS, though, a good idea for a simple question is to ask people why they did something you find odd.

Scumtells are essentially specific social mannerisms that are considered suspicious in the circumstances. People can tell when someone's acting shady, it's a natural human behavior. Since the Mafia are new too, we're on equal ground. I think if the group avoided forming into a mob and used their heads, we wouldn't need to adjust strategies.
Unvote, vote Fniff: I notice a rather interesting assumption about the scumteam in your answer.  What makes you so sure the Mafia consists of newbies?  Less importantly, what will you do to avoid mob behaviour?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »

Unvote, vote Fniff: I notice a rather interesting assumption about the scumteam in your answer.  What makes you so sure the Mafia consists of newbies?  Less importantly, what will you do to avoid mob behaviour?
I'm assuming they are. That would have been a better way of phrasing it. Anyway, this is beginner's mafia and as such, they can't be utterly amazingly experienced. They might know a lot, but they won't be experienced, if you get my drift. As for avoiding mob behavior, I'd avoid anything that lacks more then one piece of evidence, especially if it's circumstantial.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »

To Darkpaladin109: I would say either Fniff or RangerCado. I have played other games with them so I think we would know enough to work together well.

To tn5421: If you were scum who would you place more importance on getting rid of, the jailkeeper or the cop?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »

I'm assuming they are. That would have been a better way of phrasing it. Anyway, this is beginner's mafia and as such, they can't be utterly amazingly experienced. They might know a lot, but they won't be experienced, if you get my drift. As for avoiding mob behavior, I'd avoid anything that lacks more then one piece of evidence, especially if it's circumstantial.
Fniff:
On mafia experience in the scumteam: Be aware that ICs, who are experienced, could be scum.  We are not above suspicion.

On the mob behaviour bit: How do you intend to ensure that multiple pieces of evidence accumulate against someone?  Do you intend to question people who have one piece of evidence against them, or is avoiding such questioning part of avoiding anything that lacks more than one piece of evidence?
Are you going to depend on others to start cases with multiple pieces of evidence?

(Strength of the evidence, while harder to judge, is better to look at than the number of pieces of evidence, generally.  One really strong piece of evidence is better than three incredibly minor ones, for instance.)
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 04:15:48 pm »

I'd like to note that I'l be in bed now and have school tommorow again, so any questions directed at me will have to wait some time to be answered.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - One Spot Left!!
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »

Votecount:
  • darkpaladin109: RangerCado (1)
  • borno:
  • Fniff: Jack A T (1)
  • Scripten:
  • tn5421:
  • RangerCado:
  • Kansa:
  • Jack A T:
  • Tiruin: tn5421 (1)

Votes to Extend: [0/3]