Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - GAME OVER! SCUM WIN!  (Read 58865 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - One Spot Left!!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 01:51:53 am »

After both the GWG conversation and a review of previous BMs, I suggest a small alteration to the List of Common Scumtells: the addition of a note for "Trying Too Hard To Appear Townie" indicating that it does not refer to a player not showing any scumtells, but instead to a player actively avoiding any behaviour that might be seen as scummy.  Something about the Too Townie fallacy might be useful.

Possibility:
"Note: This is not to be confused with the Too Townie fallacy, a terrible argument that a lack of scumminess makes a player scum.  The "Trying Too Hard" scumtell refers to active image control efforts, not a lack of scumminess."
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 06:25:08 am »

I'd like to second this.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 10:10:51 am »

Note has been added.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 02:13:37 pm »

I'll go in for this if that's ok
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »

It is very OK.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »

Watching this. Good luck dove!
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:29 pm »

Looks like we've got everyone now. PM's will be sent in a bit and game will start in a few hours.

Watching this. Good luck dove!
Thank you! <3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »

Nine vampires met in the gloomy dungeon of their castle, armed only with the knowledge that two among them were traitors and had to be dealt with. They had locked themselves in the dungeon to keep the traitors away from the Mistress, for she had to survive. They would go to any lengths to keep the Mistress safe, no matter how many had to die in the process. They stared each other down as the debate began.

Votecount:
  • darkpaladin109
  • borno:
  • Fniff:
  • Scripten:
  • tn5421:
  • RangerCado:
  • Kansa:
  • Jack A T:
  • Tiruin:

Votes to Extend: [0/3]
Votes to Shorten: [0/5]

Day one had begun and will end Thursday at 7 pm EST
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:07:45 pm by MyOwnWorstEnemy »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - Day One
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:11 pm »

Greetings.  I'm Jack A T, and I am one of the ICs.  Essentially, I am a teacher and mentor, as well as a player.  Any advice I give will be honest and in good faith, even if it is to my harm.  I will give this advice whenever asked, and whenever I feel like it.  Do listen, please.

Feel free to ask Tiruin and I any questions you want about Mafia.  That's what we're here for.

Town: Your mission is to find and eliminate the scum.  Keep that in mind.  Whatever you do should be meant to further that goal.

Be bold.  Be active.  Hunt scum.

Generally, this game starts with a period called the Random Vote Stage (RVS).  In RVS, you vote for a player and ask them (and preferably others) a game-related question.  This is primarily to get a conversation started.

Beyond that, keep on asking questions about anything you find odd or suspicious, or are just interested in.

A general tip: when answering questions about the game, assume that "Why?" is part of the question.

darkpaladin109: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, which role do you feel would help the town more: the cop or the jailkeeper?
borno: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, what scumtell (aside from lying) do you feel is scummiest in general?
Fniff: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, imagine you're the jailkeeper.  Who do you act on: a scummy player or a player you think the scum are likely to kill?
Scripten: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, imagine it's 5 player LYLO, you're a vanilla townie, and there are two cop claims.  Each claims a guilty on the other, and an innocent on you.  What would you do to sort this situation out?
tn5421: Imagine you're a cop.  What would you consider to be your goal in your night inspects: finding scum or finding town?
RangerCado: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, imagine you're a cop.  Who do you investigate: an IC, a suspicious non-IC, or a hard-to-read non-IC?
Kansa: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, which town power role (PR) would you rather be: the cop, or the jailkeeper?
Tiruin: You recently participated in a game with this setup, but without the teaching elements: NSBM 4.  What did you learn from that game that you can apply to this game?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 06:41:45 pm »

Jack A T: I have played several games on this forum, though am probably in the lower end on skill. I have played some games IRL, and am also about to start a game on the board as a Mod. I would check the hard to read non-IC as its better to get a read you can trust on someone hard to read, rather than someone who is potentially more skilled... also, I know how Tiruin plays somewhat, so I think I can get a better read on her.

If you were a Jailer, what would be your criteria for your night 1 target?

Tiruin:
Whats your take on the roster of players? Anyone you recognize who your going to be keeping an eye on? Potential skill?

Fniff:
If you were a Cop, what day would you likely want to claim assuming a lynch and a kill happened every day and night?

DarkPaladin:
Who of the current players would be your ideal scum buddy?

Kansa:
Which IC do you believe is the biggest threat if they were a scum player? If you were a scum player?

borno:
Whats your preferred role as Town and why?

Fniff:
Who of the current players would be your ideal scum buddy?

Scripten:
If you were a Cop, what day would you likely want to claim assuming a lynch and a kill happened every day and night?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2014, 06:52:49 pm »

Fniff: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, imagine you're the jailkeeper.  Who do you act on: a scummy player or a player you think the scum are likely to kill?
I was playing the One Day mafia. It was confusing, fast, and didn't teach me anything at all about playing mafia. Not good for a first time player. As for the jailkeeper, I'd prefer to block the likely to be killed player. Someone is going to be killed whether or not I block the scum, but a good player/role needs to be protected.
Fniff: If you were a Cop, what day would you likely want to claim assuming a lynch and a kill happened every day and night?
Fniff: Who of the current players would be your ideal scum buddy?
1. If I was a cop, I wouldn't claim until I had a mafia confirmed. I would prefer this to be as early as possible, but if I claim the mafia will try to kill me and it would be a worthless sacrifice without some evidence. On the other hand, I might be lynched by the townies for seeming scummy, but that's always present no matter what you do.
2. Kansa would be my ideal scum buddy. We both know each other due to us both being in the same World of Darkness chronicle a while back, and I think we'd both be able to communicate with each other fairly well.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

Jack A T: I have never played a game of Mafia before, this is my first time. I would prefer to be the Cop over the Jailkeeper, as it seems to be very useful to immediately be able to tell someone's alignment and be able to confirm or deny any suspicions about them.

RangerCado: I am not sure, I have not had enough experience with either of their play-styles or the game itself to make a judgement on that yet.

Which one would you say was the biggest threat?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »

If you were a Jailer, what would be your criteria for your night 1 target?
RangerCado: After looking at who voted for the lynch target and why (and there had better be a lynch), I would consider multiple possible targets.  If someone was particularly scummy D1, I would most likely jail them, hoping to prevent a kill.  Without a strong read, however, I would most likely jail Tiruin: there is a tendency for BM scumteams to kill ICs.
I say "most likely" in both cases due to the fact that any actual jailing would involve examining far more information than a hypothetical question at the start of D1 can handle.

A question to you: did you think, when asking darkpaladin and Fniff the same question about an ideal scumbuddy, about the potential of the first answerer's answer influencing the second answerer?

As for the jailkeeper, I'd prefer to block the likely to be killed player. Someone is going to be killed whether or not I block the scum, but a good player/role needs to be protected.
Fniff: If you block the scum player who would be carrying out the kill, you would prevent the kill.  How does that information change your answer, if at all?

Furthermore, why no questions?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »

As for the jailkeeper, I'd prefer to block the likely to be killed player. Someone is going to be killed whether or not I block the scum, but a good player/role needs to be protected.
Fniff: If you block the scum player who would be carrying out the kill, you would prevent the kill.  How does that information change your answer, if at all?

Furthermore, why no questions?
I still don't know who the killer is going to be. I would prefer to protect the valuable player, even if it means blocking their activities. Keeping an important player alive as long as possible is worth it. As for no questions, well... one it's late and I can't think of any, and two I'm not sure if I'd have the knowledge to ask those questions. I might come up with some tomorrow.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »

Scripten: Please summarize your previous Mafia experience, whether on or off this forum.  In addition, imagine it's 5 player LYLO, you're a vanilla townie, and there are two cop claims.  Each claims a guilty on the other, and an innocent on you.  What would you do to sort this situation out?

Got to admit, my first experience with Mafia was not particularly helpful. I think the fact that it was sprint and that we had two players who didn't participate particularly well kind of killed it for me. Being inexperienced, I was not sure how to play my role (Macho Cop) as well as I probably should have. Even so, I had a lot of fun and it hooked me on mafia. I have also played one round on another forum, where I was a vanilla townie. In that game, I was the first one lynched, which could have doomed the mafia because one of them all but revealed themselves, but they night-killed the town cop and managed to avoid getting lynched by lurking on day two.

It's a possibility that both claims are false, since there are two other players. If both claims are made by scum, a third person may be the actual cop. Since this is a LYLO situation, I would first try to draw out the real cop by urging them to claim. In either situation, though, I would ask both of the players making their claim to detail the investigations they've made up to this point and the reasons for which they made them.

Scripten:If you were a Cop, what day would you likely want to claim assuming a lynch and a kill happened every day and night?

I think it really depends on the atmosphere of the game. In a LYLO situation, I would definitely claim, since my decision to wait might have doomed the town in the first game I ever played. If we've lynched the first mafia player and I have an investigation on the second, I would probably make a claim. If we're not in a desperate situation as town and the mafia still has the advantage, I would wait, since claiming would make me a prime target for stabbing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26