Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Commanding the Frontier  (Read 1991 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Commanding the Frontier
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:05 pm »

Spoiler: About MK2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: About Participation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Form (click to show/hide)

Life on the frontier is rough and filled with dangers. Only the bravest of pioneers can survive the conditions and find a place to call home. Corporations and governments scramble to colonize new worlds, asteroids, and more. They also attempt to find alien artifacts, and ward off their corporate or political enemies. This of course, does not make life too easy for the pioneers. The frontier is a battle zone, filled with planets rich with minerals, deadly creatures, cutthroats, and more. This creates an opportunity for many groups, whether they want to make money, enforce the law, ensure justice, colonize a planet, or just about anything. You're the leader of one of these groups, and in a few hours, will be arriving at your HQ, where you will be met by a group of volunteer "soldiers", some old second-hand equipment, and a ship allowing access to the particular solar system.

But first, you are required to fill this somehow hybrid immigration-new corporation form. Freaking bureaucracy, man.

Code: [Select]
Name:
Previous Profession:
Group Name:
Group Purpose:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:03:59 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Commanding the Frontier
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:19:29 am »

Could we maybe have a slightly more indepth explanation?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:28:18 am »

Name: Zeke Abrams
Previous Profession: Miner
Group Name: Intergalactic Mining Corporation
Group Purpose: Mining minerals, building,.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:04:03 am »

Could we maybe have a slightly more indepth explanation?
+1

specifically:
  • Is this a suggestion game or more of an economic/military sim?
  • What (if any) system are you using?
  • you said X-com(-ish), does that mean we are going to control the actions of a squad? Or just the one person?
  • ...or perhaps posters each get a trooper to command?
  • Previous profession and group purpose sound like they might "do" something in the game. If they do (and if it's not a !!fun!! secret) you should explain them. Maybe even provide a multiple choice selection.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:53 pm »

I thought I could get away with the explanation beforehand, but it seems not.

The game is a suggestion game with everyone controlling a squad - meaning everyone controls everyone (e.g. "Have person 2 do this, and person 1 do that", "+1 to poster1")
For the system, I'm almost using a d20 system. There are skills, items, armors, and traits that give modifiers/effects to combat, along with some passive, rolls. Positioning can matter, but it usually doesn't.

Previous Profession is more or less for fluff reasons (referenced in character bios), and group purpose determines the setting of your missions. Something like a pirate group would mean most of your
missions would be things like raiding a merchant ship, outposts, black market dealings gone wrong, etc. While a vigilante group would include missions like stopping pirates in the act, investigating a large-scale "crime scene", perhaps aiding someone.. (However, not all missions would be unique to the group purpose)
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »

So... each person who signs up gets a squad of 4-6 troopers that we try to kit up and fight against the aliens/monsters/invaders?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »

Name: Givak Nothak
Previous Profession: Wouldn't you like to know?
Group Name: Filak Mining and Construction Conglomerate.
Group Purpose: Astroid Mining and Ship Construction.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »

So... each person who signs up gets a squad of 4-6 troopers that we try to kit up and fight against the aliens/monsters/invaders?
The game is a suggestion game with everyone controlling a squad - meaning everyone controls everyone (e.g. "Have person 2 do this, and person 1 do that", "+1 to poster1")
So... no?

Name: Reginald Swartmann III
Previous Profession: Her Imperial Majesty's Officer.
Group Name: Regies' Roughnecks.
Group Purpose: Shoot stuff up, get paid, live it up in the private sector.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »

PTW may join later. Joining as a soldier!
Name: Cilico
Appearance (Completely Optional): A taller-than-average man, he has a thick beard and black hair.
Bio (Also optional): He used to do a lot of custom home improvement stuff and basic repairs before he was enlisted into corporate service.
Expertise: Engineering
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:11:40 pm by Worldmaster27 »

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:19:17 am »

Why not have a person control each member of the squad?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:40 am »

Thats actually a damn good idea. +1.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:12:55 am »

Thats actually a damn good idea. +1.
+1
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 11:21:57 am »

(I'm assuming you mean a 1-to-1 relation of people and squad members.)
Because then we'd have to deal with people losing interest or dropping out unexpectedly because their router gave up the smoke.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 06:53:44 pm »

Because then we'd have to deal with people losing interest or dropping out unexpectedly because their router gave up the smoke.
This is the main reason why I didn't do a 1:1 thing at first, however, it could work:
Due to the nature of the game, the traditional waitlist would just be a not-in-the-mission type thing. Players could create their character, and participate in missions based on a first come, first serve system. The metagame would more or less be unaffected. Players would still have to "vote" for missions, equipping (meaning you'd have to, in a regular suggestion game manner, equip your character with an item in storage)

I'll modify the OP in a couple hours or so. In the meantime, the group still needs to be chosen.
EDIT: Updated OP.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:04:17 pm by Chiefwaffles »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 12:08:18 am »

Name: Wilkes Johnson
Appearance : Black hair which constantly sticks up very slightly. Blue eyes. Outside of missions, he wears business suits of varying colours.
Bio: Not much is known about Wilkes. All anyone knows is that he originates from Earth, the First Planet, and that he just appeared at the Frontier one day.
Expertise: Aim.
Pages: [1] 2