Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Insanity Train!  (Read 2794 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Insanity Train!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 04:38:46 am »

“Too long have I tried to master what was made by generations of brewmasters. Too long have we threaded the same path, using the same to make our mix.” These thoughts visited me on one fateful morning when I decided to move out of mountainhomes to the frontier in search for something new. Look where that got me. As per tradition, we set out as seven beards. Our leader, Kreydurst, was an ambitious sort of guy, and I picked him from others because of his ambition. For he might lead me to lands deeper in the frontier than others.

The rest of the team however, I had a tad bit less faith in. Horkon was as much of a berserker as those mentioned in legends. He wants glory on the battlefield, and cares little for anything else. Dailm is self named apprentice in all things dwarven, which is popularly known as good for nothing layabout. Tunist is the most military skilled here, but he refuses to let go of his wooden spear in exchange of a better one, and his boasts of victories against goblins, while were funny at first, are already getting quite annoying, and we haven’t even left the dwarven lands yet! Then we have a beard named Pumpa, known for his inane hate of cats and for his grand flooding talents. The last is yd12k, medical dwarf. Usually, I’m not the one to judge names, but what the heck is that? Regardless, it will be good to have a medical dwarf around here, especially so since Horkon is around.

Due to slight miscalculation in supplies, we ran out of alcohol on the way to the border fortress. Others suffered quite a bit from this, but I, as a brewmaster, was used to consuming greater amounts of alcohol and consuming it more often than the others. So, needless to say, once we reached the fort, I was almost completely sober. Name of the pub was seemingly picked by the traditional dwarven method; chopping up a dictionary in a helmet and pulling out random words, but I did not care. All I wanted was some cold stiff drink. Just as the barkeep filled my glass to the brim with glistening ale from a nether-cap barrel, I heard some sort of commotion behind me. It seemed that Tunist started bragging about his amazing (unbelievable) military achievements (blatant lies) and Dailm took offence to that. Knowing a bar fight when I saw one I rushed to drink my ale before I inevitably got involved. I almost made it. My mug was shattered in my hand just as the first droplets of liquid grace touched my lips. Memories of the rest of the night are shrouded in mist. Kreydurst said that I was practically throwing a tantrum. He also said that we would need to get out in the near future, before the barkeep gets out of hospital, and before someone gets patched up enough to want a rematch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:53:08 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 09:08:34 am »

Our leader, Kikrost , was an ambitious sort of guy

It seems there's a bit of confusion. Kikrost was the name of the dwarven empire the group set out from. Kreydurst is what I think you meant to say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:33 am »

Yup, fixed now.Ty for pointing out. It would had been quite a face palm moment if somone only noticed this a few journals in when it was screwed up half a dozen times  :-[
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 03:22:13 pm »

Yup, fixed now.Ty for pointing out. It would had been quite a face palm moment if somone only noticed this a few journals in when it was screwed up half a dozen times  :-[

Quite so, I'm almost done with the post-embark chapter. Soon I'll arrive at the arrival chapter and we can see the story unfold as I, the terrible overseer screw up.

Edit: Also there's one more or so Kikrost that's supposed to be Kreydurst in your journal.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 01:06:27 am »

Ah, interesting, doing in-character posts to events that occur seems like an interesting spin on the succession fort; Storytelling from multiple different viewpoints that belong to different varieties of dwarf, all happening at once, instead of a timeline off different fortress overseers. I like how this is going.

Horkon's Journal- Entry I
Today is a new day. I have been told to help a new fortress. As is the will of our ruler, I shall do so. For this hole in the wall, I will spill blood by the gallons- and blood there will be. There are other soldiers, a doctor, a brewer, a dwarf of all trades, and a leader. He is called Kreydurst, and by his hand we will thrive or die in unknown lands. And they will have to be hands most steady-already there is conflict between dwarves. One has tried to touch my axe, and the one called Tunist wishes to use only a wooden spear- an elf's weapon. He believes we should use their vile, magic-tainted wood for our own. Kreydurst is far more reasonable, and believes any elves we see should be put to the blade. I could not agree more.
This space for rent

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:23:17 pm »

Departed from Kikrost Kacoth

Kreydurst grumbles as they reach the end of the road. “Right, lets hope our supplies last till we get there.”
   Khaziraad deciding to chime in as he picks up everything he can. “Worst comes to worst, we got plenty of rock-bug-shoe-beard makeshift ale.”
   “That sounds more disgusting then hugging an elf.” Kreydurst would retort.
   “Ain't nothing more disgusting than an elf, wot be wrong with ye Kreydurst?” Horkon shouts from the rear of the wagon
   “Probably the fact that he has his arse handed to him by Khaziraad as he tried to escape the intense melee in that pub.” yd12k snorts a bit. “To be honest, none of us really fared well when Khaziraad decided to go on a rampage.”
   Pumpa, being the fat noble he wants to be grunts, “I'm half surprised we didn't get some justice served to us.”
   “That's because we ran like cowards! And how are you cowards going to face goblins if some justice is to much for us!?” Tunist bellows from the wagon, raising his trusty wooden spear.
   “What do any of you know about justice!? I've been served justice for my entire life practically! Yellowpick ain't exactly a 'friendly' place just so you gits know.” Dailm would state with a rather downcast, and just cruddy tone.
   “Right...” Kreydurst states as all conversations seemed to have halted.

-   -   -   -   -

At the front of the wagon, yd12k tugs on the reigns of the horses that pull the wagon. On the right face of the wagon, Tunist practices with his wooden spear. Making some quite agile movements, and a few epic displays of strength. Meanwhile Kreydurst and Horkon, at the left face of the wagon practice their sword and axe dwarfsmenship. Dailm, Pumpa, and Khaziraad seem to theorize about making a endless rumfall. Surely it won't end in a disaster like Pumpa's previous gran architectural feats.
   For the most part, the groups seem to have formed within the group. Their relationships develop steadily as they begin to reach the embark point. Daily activities include attempting to brew random shit. Combat practice, medical checkups and bragging about their accomplishments. During the night, Kreydurst would dig out a small cave for them to sleep in, and hide the wagon in.
   About a week away from the embark site, Pumpa declares himself the leader of the expedition. Everyone else seeming to not give a dam about who the leader is, just keep moving. Needless to say Pumpa's designs for the fort are grand, and Kreydurst nearly puts the sword to his throat because. “I'm not going to be digging that much, just for you to accidentally give someone the wrong order to pull the bloody lever!”

End of Departed from Kikrost Kacoth

Due to an unfortunate event, the files of this group have been corrupted. (Hard drive stuttered on me and chunks of the embark [and backup] are destroyed/overwritten) I'll finish writing the story up to the point of the 2nd winter. So, needless to say, I'm sorry for our loss.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:26:19 pm by Kreydurst »

youdont12know

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:25 am »

I wrote my username down? I really shouldn't reply to these treads while half asleep. Atleast I caught the first demand I wrote down when I realized it was micromanagement hell. I'll do some writing when I'm not half asleep, because lesson learned.
Best thing to do about the blindness pandemic, train a lot of siege operators. Because they can't see enemies, they won't run in panic.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:15 am »

Due to an unfortunate event, the files of this group have been corrupted.
Curse you Terry!  :'(

What will happen to the story after the winter writeup?

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »

Due to an unfortunate event, the files of this group have been corrupted.
Curse you Terry!  :'(

What will happen to the story after the winter writeup?

I'll likely ask for 6 more applicants. And continue the idea of what I'm doing. But I'll come up with some semi-satisfactory humorous way to end our tragic fort :( Next story should be tomorrow. I have some things I need to catch up on / write a ton of emails today before I can work on the >Arrival< section. Going a bit slower then anticipated but that's life for you.
Pages: 1 [2]