Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warzone 2100  (Read 1258 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Warzone 2100
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:35:33 pm »

http://wz2100.net/

I'm curious, has anyone here played the game?  I played the original when I had found it sold at my church's yard sale, but it looks like there has been a fair load of development put into the game by the community (currently at version 3.1.1).  I wound up having to restart the game a few times, because I had wound up putting myself in a position that made it impossible for me to get my troops to a location on time, since I had slowly taken all of them on a single mission, then the next had to defend a point that I had to cross the entire map to get to and search the entire map for the one unit I had to kill before I lost the mission.

Edit: I just remembered a couple of battles I had.
In the first, I was on one of the maps where all the 'players' (I was using AI since I didn't have internet) were separated by vast expanses of water with a ratio of 3-2-3 on each of the three 'islands'.  There were a few skyscrapers as well, but those wound up destroyed for the most part, as they are a general pain to build around.  Anyway, after I had finished knocking out the two on the place I started, I had to use these weak propulsion units that were the only way across water to commence an amphibious assault, with a few units soaking up damage while I had engineers build up a factory so I could start bringing out the tracked heavys and some towers to aid in holding the line.

In another it was very late game.  I had a moderate force of tanks and fledgling air force.  Then one of the AI's started an assault upon my base.  I tagged my air force to one of the sonars I had set up, so they started auto targeting the enemy tanks as they came in.  I sent out my military, but most of them were killed pretty quick, so I had to have production orders online near constantly.  A few times I had no force out in the field, only my aircraft live and they had to refill their ammo after each pass, so the walls and turrets I had set up were the only thing saving me.  And the force was still coming.  By the time it was over, I swear the entire fight had lasted long enough that if there would have been 'corpses' left behind, the entire basin on which the battle was fought on would have hosted closing in on a thousand tank husks would have littered the battlefield.  After that I struck out to win the match, and at times I had to stop to get all my forces through the canyons that composed the map.  That match had felt awesome to win.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:00:56 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Warzone 2100
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »

People have! WZ2.1k comes up occasionally in discussion. It's a pretty great game. There's been a couple MP games ran, iirc, though not much more than one or two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:08:37 pm »

People have! WZ2.1k comes up occasionally in discussion. It's a pretty great game. There's been a couple MP games ran, iirc, though not much more than one or two.

Didn't know that.

Oh, I've added a few of my other experiences in the game to the OP.  I should note that the tech tree in my games somehow ended around the 1/2 to 3/4 point of the full tree.  Right around there, it just hit a nice niche where the fighting was around 50 to 75 tiles apart at maximum, which to me felt just like the perfect range for the most variety.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:37:16 pm »

I just started playing this again. It's a fun game with good mechanics.

Campaign: It's fun to play and balanced for it. It's been almost untouched for years, actually. I can do it in ~16 hours of playing, not counting the extra time from reloading often for certain missions but also not counting those times that I sped time up to 1.5x for the long research sections.

Multiplayer: Often has balance changes and plays completely different than the campaign. There's a trend to play high-oil maps, and gameplay is less less about taking and managing oil there than researching efficiently and handling your army well. Of course, there are still fairly frequent low to medium oil games, and those have the additional mechanics of constantly trying to take more oil spots and trying to balance research, unit (including balancing unit type production), and defense spending.

Frumple: The DF forums have only done a few games, but there's almost always at least one MP game open for joining in the lobby.

Personally, I like the end-of-game tech on medium oil maps, since high oil maps devolve into artillery fields, VTOL spam, and large amounts of turtling. Medium oil maps let you have that really good tech while still keeping things dynamic.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:34 pm »

Mm. While I'm remember, I would like to note the game plays fairly well off a flash drive >_>

It's actually pretty portable, and very low-spec nowadays. Runs on a lot of stuff, haha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:36 am »

It's a very good game, i only play skirmishes with the AI from time to time and for a RTS AI it's really not bad at all and i very enjoyable to play against.

I'm still always not sure how it is even possible to reach the very high end of the researches tree unless you drag the game up to then willingfully, as usually all my games are over far from reaching that point.

Maybe because i don't play on the biggest maps though.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:18 am »

It's a very good game, i only play skirmishes with the AI from time to time and for a RTS AI it's really not bad at all and i very enjoyable to play against.

I'm still always not sure how it is even possible to reach the very high end of the researches tree unless you drag the game up to then willingfully, as usually all my games are over far from reaching that point.

Maybe because i don't play on the biggest maps though.

I thin the tree is soo long to give you choice.

Let's compare it ot the closest game gameplay and graphics wise to it... Earth 2150.
You have a research tree and some units/weapons on it.
Units and weapon ammo cna be upgraded around 3 times each (soe weaponns like lasers can be upgraded more tho) and yor minds goes like "Ok i'll get the Panther chasis and max plasma throwers.
You can't do the same in Warzone because you will find yourself constantly upgrading plasma guns till the end of the game because there is just SO MUCH TECH to research.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.