Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favourite Noble Ever  (Read 1830 times)

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favourite Noble Ever
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:31:09 pm »

My Mayor loves bolts, and mandates nothing but production of bolts. I am officially in love.
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Noble Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:47:07 pm »

once i gave goblin the PET_EXOTIC tag,tamed some children and let them loose.they multiplied and sure enough,raised their social skills a lot.so,one day my fort elects a goblin mayor.and it was glorious:she did not need special treatment,remained steady(since she had VERY high social skills),and mandated nothing.best.mayor.ever.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »

My current True Flame (impish king) and his wife are goblins. They never mandate anything. Awesome. Unfortunately, they brought ~5 petulant lords with them, who make mandates constantly. I may kill them.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:59:11 pm »

Strangely, unlike the normal citizens, in this one fort the queen doesn't demand anything.
She has no likes.
She doesn't even get a bad thought even though her rooms have been partly completed for about 2 years now.
She's 360+ years old.
That part is due to the immortality of my race.
Do beings born before time is recorded not like or dislike anything?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:54 pm »

Strangely, unlike the normal citizens, in this one fort the queen doesn't demand anything.
She has no likes.
She doesn't even get a bad thought even though her rooms have been partly completed for about 2 years now.
She's 360+ years old.
Is she a vampire?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:27:03 pm »

I've got a mayor in Greateststandards who didn't mandate anything (or ban anything for export) for 5+ years after his election. After that, he mandated a tin table. When that didn't get built, he didn't charge anyone with violation of production order for some reason.

I guess he was shy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:56:03 pm »

After that, he mandated a tin table. When that didn't get built, he didn't charge anyone with violation of production order for some reason.
That was a demand, not a mandate. Ignoring those never causes any punishment, just unhappy thoughts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 11:35:30 pm »

She has no likes.
She's 360+ years old.

I do believe it's a thing in-game that historical figures sometimes have fairly blank personalities.  I've heard of it happening before.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 07:56:47 am »

My current duke is pretty tame as as far as irritation goes. He wants nothing in life but to be surrounded by hordes of figurines- he's almost constantly demanding the production of them, and then mandating that we're not allowed to export them. Given that I use rock crafts to trade, there's always figurines being made anyway, so I just have to make sure I don't let any get into the Depot.
This space for rent

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 08:51:57 am »

Yes I have a countess who seems to feel that the highest expression of art is the breastplate and short sword.  I think she has a military fetish.  This wouldn't be so bad, except that she keeps re-upping it every time I make any.  I have dozens of the damn things. limited useful metal, and the requests just keep coming.  She may go on a fact-finding mission to find out just what "poisonous vapors" our pet FB warns people to beware of...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:18:35 am »

^ Mandate management can help somewhat. Nobles never seem to issue multiple identical mandates, so if you drag your feet on fulfilling a mandate, you won't get another one for ~ half a year. Obviously takes a lot more attention so you don't accidentally go over the time limit.
You can also melt down mandate-ordered items to recover some of the material. Only _trading_ them can be forbidden. That said, i'd be hesitant to ennoble a dwarf who likes breastplates when metals are scarce. Those are the most expensive armour piece to smith; even if you recycle the material, you'll be spending a lot of metal this way.

In the ice fort, i have a duchess who only likes coins and a mayor who loves battle axes. Perfect. More axes never hurt (my dwarfs) and coins are cheaply made items with no trade value whatsoever, which also serve as a kind of material archive of my civ's history.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:22:44 am »

One guy constantly mandated doors to be constructed.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Corthalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:48 am »

In my current Fort, I had an elderly couple 120-130 years old as migrants.
She's a Great Gem Cutter/Setter/Building Designer while he's my Elite Craftsdwarf Great in Pottery, Glassmaking(in a desert, yay) and Stonecrafting.
Her social skills are a bit higher than his, so she was elected the first mayor, demanding goblets and bucklers  ::)
Then I made her husband Olon Yearlingworked the baron, because I noticed he didn't have any item preferences - and he earned his position.
Unfortunately he's incredibly pissy about his position and easily "utterly traumatized" if his child's mausoleum is as nice as his.
Anyway, when the vampire queen Rig̣th Emeraldtreaty arrived (with a preference for emeralds which I have, but no item prefs) she got elected mayor soon after.
So no mandates for me  :P
I just put her in a room with a lot of levers. Once I needed her to calm down my miner whom I infected with weregoatism, though.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:51 am »

The Queen mandates crossbows. All the time. Like twice a month. I have 30 crossbows sitting around she's only been in about a year. One time I couldn't meet her insatiable mandates, but she was fine with some random fishery idiot getting punched by the spearmaster a few times for it.

I gave her some chickens because she liked chickens. I gave her a door decorated with an image of Likast the god, I gave her 2 legendary artifacts (Out of the two that were actually furniture)

What did she give me in return?

Delicious, delicious cave crocodile roast.

At least I can plug all those crossbows in a weapon trap... I mean, I guess? Does it just smack people in the face with crossbows? What a trap.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 02:51:07 am »

Ah, it all brings back memories of Mrs. Pudgykins.
Pages: [1] 2