Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ambushes appear in bizzare spots  (Read 2014 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
ambushes appear in bizzare spots
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »

exactly what it say on the tin,guys.like for example,my stone stockpile right next to my workshop,7 layers below surface with dogs in front of my only entrance and facing the opposite direction from the only ladder!what the hell?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: ambushes appear in bizzare spots
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:59:24 pm »

From what I understand, ambushes spawn at map edge so they must have made their way there somehow. You have no other entrances and no way down into the caverns?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »

no.only one entrance which is so heavily guarded they would have been torn apart if they have attempted to enter from there,and my caverns are locked.and it's not even the first time they appear on that spot.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »

no.only one entrance which is so heavily guarded they would have been torn apart if they have attempted to enter from there,and my caverns are locked.and it's not even the first time they appear on that spot.

Are there ways that they can get in without being seen?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:00:03 pm »

Post the save. If possible, post a save where an ambush is in "the spot".

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:29:56 pm »

Forbid a sock outside, wall off your front entrance, then unforbid it. Urist will show you the secret back door.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »

What if the goblins finally found a way to tunnel into fortresses?

You should at least put screenshots of the ambush spot and entrance.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »

I believe there is a known bug that occasionally causes creatures entering the map to spawn in non-edge-of-map tiles. I seem to recall it being discussed regarding diplomats who kept appearing at a specific location inside a fortress, though other "visitors" might also be affected. The bug seems limited to specific areas and tiles, so you can probably just make the tiles impassible (build walls, cause a cave-in, etc.) to force your visitors to appear at the map edge.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:44:35 am »

If only I had taken screenshots...or knew how to post saves...I believe it's that bug,because both times they appeared at the same spot.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 04:27:51 am »

If only I had taken screenshots...or knew how to post saves...I believe it's that bug,because both times they appeared at the same spot.

As long as you don't be that guy who's "Sosorry, I deleted the world and can never replicate that ever again!"
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:58:52 am »

I'd say do doublestrafe's contingency check first - if you have the proper architecture, you could also shut all known doors and designate a building outside; if there's really no legal access, you'll get a "no access to [furniture|building material]" note.

I'm pretty sure the bug exists - a fort of mine on a glacier got a handful of thieves and (mostly kobold) ambushes that popped up inside, with no walkable passages they could have taken. Most invaders spawn normally and will indeed fail to path into the fort if the bridges are up, it's just a few who somehow manage to presumably spawn already inside.
I suspect it's got something to do with a biome border - there's a glacier meeting cold woodlands in that part of the map, and the biome border is very visible inside, where solid ice gives way to sand walls.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:57:24 am »

Easier way to check than the sock thing is to close your main entrance off and then station a military dorf outside. If he can't get there, you have no accidental back door.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:05 am »

As long as you don't be that guy who's "Sosorry, I deleted the world and can never replicate that ever again!"

it will replicate itself eventually...and i still have the world  and the fort
also yup,i've locked the entrance and stationed my military to go outside...and as i expected,could not find a path,so that's definitely a bug

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:28:27 am »

I believe there is a known bug that occasionally causes creatures entering the map to spawn in non-edge-of-map tiles. I seem to recall it being discussed regarding diplomats who kept appearing at a specific location inside a fortress, though other "visitors" might also be affected. The bug seems limited to specific areas and tiles, so you can probably just make the tiles impassible (build walls, cause a cave-in, etc.) to force your visitors to appear at the map edge.

I've had the occasional soldier from a siege spawn inside my walls, so I can confirm the bug exists. Impassable tiles between the spawn point and the edge of the map doesn't matter, though, for preventing it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »

Impassable tiles between the spawn point and the edge of the map doesn't matter, though, for preventing it.

I doubt that. From my experience, all units spawned for a siege must be able to path to each other; separating the map into unconnected sections means that the entire siege will spawn inside a single section. (Of course, this means that if they choose to spawn in an isolated location, they will *all* spawn there.) But, more to the point, no creature will spawn *in* an impassible tile. This works with map edges as well, though they are significantly harder to make impassible (casting obsidian, or building raising bridges work). For tiles in the middle of the map, you can simply build a solid block of walls, or possibly just channel out the floor to prevent creatures from appearing there.
Pages: [1] 2