Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why you no pick up ammo ?  (Read 1617 times)

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why you no pick up ammo ?
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:51:38 am »

Ok so I have a squad of 10 marksdwarves, they have stockpiles in their barracks for weapons, armor, and ammo. The ammo stockpile contains over 6000 iron bolts. I check checked the ammo settings for the squad and it is set properly. They were picking up ammo fine for the first couple years on this setup but now all but one will not grab a single bolt. The one who will is the commander. All the other gear is being picked up properly.

I tired removing the stockpile and recreating and triple checked everything. I tried toggling orders and schedule.

What do ?

PintOfBass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why you no pick up ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:55:41 am »

My ace in the hole for any situation where military is not picking up gear is to delete their uniform, remake it, reassign it.  Also if you are making iron bolts then have the ammunition be iron bolts instead of bolts in general.  This seems to fix it sometimes as well.

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »

Yeah I tried setting iron bolts, and then also metal. Then for fun I junked out some bone ones which they wouldn't pick up either. I'll try and do the uniform thing today.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »

Are your ammo stockpiles using bins? There's a bug where dwarves won't take ammo out of bins.

Krawdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:07:40 pm »

I also used to have problems with marksdwarves not picking up bolts, even when they were properly assigned. Then I glanced in the DFHack init file that came with Accelerated Modest mod and saw there was a binary patch to fix it. Here is what it says about it:

# Bug 4530 - marksdwarves not training when quiver full of combat-only ammo
binpatch apply training-ammo

I haven't had nearly as many ammo related issues since using that patch. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:09:16 pm by Krawdad »

PintOfBass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:43 pm »

Are your ammo stockpiles using bins? There's a bug where dwarves won't take ammo out of bins.

This is likely it.  I am so used to not using bins in ammo stockpiles that I forget there is a reason.

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:31 am »

Stockpile sure does use bins. I am guessing that is the issue but at least it seems to be intermittant. When I loaded up yesterday I noticed for no apparent reason they started grabbing ammo again and in fact blew through 2k iron bolts at the practice range. I also have now set the max bins to lower by 5 than what the stockpile could support so I am hoping that mitigates any future issues.