Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bay 12 fighter unit should be...

IJNAF elite A6M2 Zero unit Chitose Ku S-1 or its detachments or division(s)
- 3 (42.9%)
a IJAAF Ki-43 unit in Indochina, to be used in China/East Indies(mostly)
- 1 (14.3%)
a IJAAF Ki-43 unit in Burma(at least initially)
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 04, 2014, 08:49:03 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: War in the Pacific: PBEM, apparently closed, see last posts  (Read 38888 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War in the Pacific: PBEM, apparently closed, see last posts
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:03 am »

Howdy ho everyone!

The date is now December 20 1941, and the Empire of Japan has geared up its operations in China, invaded Philippines, Malaya, Dutch East Indies, Burma, New Guinea, Wake Island, Guam and many other places. The Germans are at the gates of Moscow and nearing Egypt while their submarines are about to win the tonnage war in the Atlantic. The old world order is about to be shattered under the iron boots of the Axis.

The game is Matrix Games' War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. If you've read my previous WitP:AE AARs you know the deal. Here they are:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76300.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94021

So once again I've started a PBEM, and we have about 2 weeks behind already. My opponent is Iroquois. You can follow and reply to the actual day-by-day AAR here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3590172

There are so far no screenshots, but I'm intending to include them later, as much as the first AAR had. Once the in-game situation clears up within a month or two there'll be more time to do in-depth planning analysis on a lot of stuff that doesnt turn upside down the very next turn...

On these forums, I've thought to write a diary of a fighter unit, from which each reader may claim pilots from. I want the air unit to have a fresh start history wise, but many fighters units have already seen action, including all CV units, all but 1 Navy land-based, some IJAAF Ki-27 and all the ones with modern Ki-43s. The options are now limited to the Chitose Ku S-1 stationed at Truk(Caroline Islands) with one of its detachments at Marshall Islands, or one of the IJAAF units stood so far in reserve that are currently being upgraded to the Ki-43-Ic.

Each Bay12er would claim a pilot and the doings of the them and the air unit, as well as everything else around the air units' base, gets tracked with written reports, small stories based on after action reports(by me and you!), screenshots and old wartime photograps. Whether we want to follow a Navy or an Army air group or squadron is up to you! Once we've started(and if your guy gets killed) you can of course still join by claiming a replacement pilot.

To make things more interesting, each pilot may also if necessary become a unit leader, get promoted, moved to reserve/training command, become missing(may be found later!), wounded, or transferred to another unit to fly even a different plane type. There are lots of skills and experience that get tracked individually, as do sortie numbers, kills and fatique(individual aircraft also have fatique and damage tracked). The only problem is that tracking which kill was which plane type can be difficult because the pilot names arent shown if the fighters engage bombers or strike aircraft, or if the enemy plane gets damaged in combat animation but actually does crash/there is enough evidence to credit kill. Though realistic in the way that in real life, pilots very often misindentified enemy aircraft and overclaimed their kills.

Remember to vote and reply your preferred or wanted qualities of your pilot! I'll let the poll run for 5 days.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:23:02 am by Erkki »

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in the Pacific: yet another PBEM, pilots needed and a poll!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:28 am »

These are always fun!
Signature goes here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:39:57 am »

I'm so in. If it's okay with everyone, I'll claim the unit commander.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:44 am »

I'm so in. If it's okay with everyone, I'll claim the unit commander.

Only if hes a flying one and not a desk officer.  ;) (some of them are)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »

Bump.

December 27 1941

"This is your favorite orphan Ann from Radio Tokyo welcoming all you poor GIs and Marines in the Pacific! How's tricks? Before we start the music, the Imperial Japanese Army Headquarters announces today that the ever victorious forces of the Japanese Empire have captured Rabaul and Palembang!"

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in the Pacific: yet another PBEM, here we go?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

Hmm I think I'm leaning towards the IJN myself too.

Heres the roster of the Chitose Ku S-1 stationed at Truk atoll, Caroline Islands. Claim your guys!

I'll have CPO Shiga, M.

It probably doesnt surprise that Petty Officer 1st Class Nishizawa, Hiroyoshi is easily the best pilot of the Group.

So far the unit has only flown CAP over Truk and attempted to catch those evasive high-flying Allied bombers that recon the base every couple of days... But with poor luck so far.

There are now rumors around about a possible rebasing of the unit in just a couple of days. The Australian airbase of Rabaul was recently secured by Imperial troops, and everyone knows the Solomons chain has been invaded too with probably many new airbases planned or already being built. There are also some captured airstrips along the Northern coast of New Guinea.

It is now December 29, 1941.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:50 am »

So I'll be Igarashi? Why is he in red? Also, could you copy/past your detailed AAR posts here? I don't have a matrix game account, so it's hard to keep track of where I was.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:24:27 am »

I'll take Shiga, then.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:30:43 am »

So I'll be Igarashi? Why is he in red? Also, could you copy/past your detailed AAR posts here? I don't have a matrix game account, so it's hard to keep track of where I was.

I'll be doing that from now on from the area near our unit - could it be a good idea to have the news written the way they'd arrive to the pilots themselves? As in major news plus everything that has to do with them and maybe the news where Navy is involved. What do you guys think?

Igarashi is red because hes the commander - that screen allows to move pilots to group or general reserve on a click of a button, and the color just shows that he'll stay in the unit unless changed manually from the main screen.

I'll take Shiga, then.

I already picked CPO1 Shiga, sry.  :)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:32:01 am »

Then I'll have whoever is next on the list. Nakaya.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:37:18 am »

It could be nice, but that would be more work for you. Up to you I guess.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:29 am »

Could I take Nagano?
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:37 am »

It could be nice, but that would be more work for you. Up to you I guess.

I'll do that still. Otherwise it'd be just copy-paste of the WitPAE forum AAR and hardly a story... I'll get started tonight already.  :) Lets hope we'll get more people still though!

The group is pretty large so in the future I'll probably merge it with the detachment now at Marshalls and divide it into 3 12-plane squadrons that operate from different bases.

Could I take Nagano?

Absolutely!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:48:49 am »

Post to watch. I've had a lack of good AARs to follow lately.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 11:57:37 am »

I will take Atake then please! Love these things... :)
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26