Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 83105 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »

That's like saying the Vice-President is bad because BLM protestors engaged in mob violence. Being important doesn't give you mind-control powers or omnipotence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »

That's like saying the Vice-President is bad because BLM protestors engaged in mob violence. Being important doesn't give you mind-control powers or omnipotence.

BLM isn't a radical group of vice president supporters.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:17 pm »

Fine, Haile Selassie and the Rastas lynching LGBT people. What more can you do than say "stop being assholes, you assholes, I command you"? Thailand is a military state by now, if people are caught up in royalist mob mentality then no, even the king being against them won't stop it.

God Himself could come down from the clouds and tell Abrahamic faith followers to stop being assholes, and nine-tenths of them would find a reason to not listen. The devout are not devout to a pure ideal, they're devout to their own desire to follow their own interpretation of an ideal.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:49 pm »

Yeah you aren't going to fix it easily and quickly but the guy was king for decades.  Even in a purely symbolic role that is plenty of time to get dialogues going.  It doesn't make him horrible but if your legacy is angry thugs you cant be that great leader.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2016, 09:11:46 pm »

He was up against something that doesn't work well against. It would be one thing for the state to be one structure with him at even just the symbolic helm, trying to spread a more moderate and reasonable ideal down through the government. As is, he was up against the active forces of the Thai military apparatus, who were in the rarely observed position of being loyal to but utterly against him. Not to mention they're kind of fractured out of the normal state, but have wide-ranging authority.

And unlike the king's attempt at dialogue, the Thai military apparatus has batons and guns. One is somewhat more persuasive, and this was starting from a point where listening to the actual king was going to be difficult for a lot of Thais just out of circumstance.

One only wonders what actual imitations the military put on the guy himself. "Sorry Your Highness, you can't go out today. Security concerns."
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2016, 09:23:39 pm »

Not really seeing how that matters.  I'm not saying he is responsible for the military.  I'm saying he is responsible for his own fanboys.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2016, 09:35:44 pm »

His fanboys who run the military? Besides, they're not personal fans. They're fans of kinglyness and TRAAADDDIIIITTIOONNNNNNNNNN!
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2016, 12:26:31 am »

His fanboys who run the military? Besides, they're not personal fans. They're fans of kinglyness and TRAAADDDIIIITTIOONNNNNNNNNN!
+1 to the thoughts behind these ._.
Sometimes there are followers in name who follow the concept rather than the person's meaning--and a ruler cannot control a person's free will; it's also in their understanding and a social issue, which is at many times in history far more complex than the mere idea of them being extreme. You can be a great leader, but your country can have not-really-great-at-all behaviors in the people, and they can possibly be not connected altogether. Hence context.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:35 am »

It's hard, because the king is supposed to be above the day-to-day fray of politics. His hardcore "supporter", the yellow shirts, are actually the traditional middle-class and elite based in and around bangkok using royalism as a stick to put down the populist red shirts. If the king intervened one way or another it would destroy his standing and support.

This need of neutrality go so far that the royal color was changed from yellow to pink after the yellow shirt started using it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2016, 07:06:39 am »

Why is it that it always seems the well loved, long lived king is inevitably followed up by the horrible child?

Because a long reign with a revered king give the prince a sense of entitlement (since his father was so loved) without any actual reponsability.
Not always though :P There's a long list of Asian literature that has this happen--but the child is also as strong-willed and thoughtful, primarily because the entitlement is shaven away by experience and exposure, but especially understanding.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2016, 08:07:12 am »

As I said before, I see the parallels to the Japanese Emperor in the 1930's. Hirohito wasn't particularly interested in expanding Japanese territory or going to war with the major European powers, but he had to tread carefully because the real power lay with the military. And even the military leaders had to tread carefully because the *real* power, the folks who were likely to kill you for saying "Maybe we should think twice about this" were the junior officer cadre. As in the 2-26 Incident, where a group of junior officers tried to assassinate most of the civilian government and several of the more democratic-leaning senior officers.

Like Turkey and Pakistan, Thailand has a checkered history as far as both military and civilian rule are concerned. They've been under military rule for most of their modern history (certainly since becoming Thailand instead of Siam).

1932-1946: Military government (with young king in exile)
1946-1947: Civilian government
1947-1973: Military government
1973: Student-led democratic protests. King sides with the protesters, criticizes the military for their handling of the protests. Military PM resigns, is replaced with a civilian PM.
1973-1976: Unstable democracy which quickly veered to the Left, while the middle class stayed conservative. Military takes over in a coup (with US blessing).
1976-1992: Military government
1992-2006: Civilian government
2006-2007: Military coup
2007-2008: Civilian government
2008-current: Military government

As you can see, the period of civilian government from 1992-2006 was actually the longest period of civilian rule in modern Thai history.  :-\

It kind of follows the trend of a lot of Southeast Asian and Latin American countries in the 20th century -- conservative royal/military rule gives way to democracy, but the leaders of the democracy go too far to the Left too fast, freak out the military (and after 1945, the military's ally in the US), and the military steps in to prevent "the spread of Communism".

In the modern post-Cold War era, the pretext has been political corruption rather than rampant Leftism. And, as in Turkey and Pakistan, it's not a total fabrication -- Thaksin Shinawat's government *was* corrupt as hell. He even had an anti-drug campaign not dissimilar to Duerte's in that thousands of extra-judicial killings too place as a result.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:39 pm »

Japan just had a 7.3 quake, Tsunami warning as well.

edit: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/asia/japan-earthquake/index.html?adkey=bn  Crap, Fukushima prefecture again. Same fault as the Fukushima quake a couple years ago? edit2: Actually, it's further south from the epicenter of the one five years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami (compare that map to the CNN one)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:33:10 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2016, 04:51:41 pm »

Tsunami warning has been issued for the entire Pacific northern coastlines. I hope they finished sealing the Fukushima reactors :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:42 pm »

I wonder how it'll affect that ruined Fukushima nuclear plant. The quake shouldn't affect it, it survived the bigger one five years ago, it's the tsunami that got it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:02:30 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2016, 06:59:59 pm »

Stay safe, Japanese and pacific coastliners.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40