Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcements, they have gone dark  (Read 1889 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcements, they have gone dark
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

So the announcement page has gone to entirely 'No recent announcements', 100% of the time.

I thought gamelog.txt might be too big (it was approaching 12,000kb), so I deleted it. The new one is only 180kb, but this didn't solve the issue.

Any ideas?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcements, they have gone dark
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:36:20 pm »

How old is the fort  ive gone over 300 years in a fort and not seen bugs like that

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:25:20 pm »

How old is the fort  ive gone over 300 years in a fort and not seen bugs like that

300 years?!? In one fort?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:12 pm »

I have gone older. My brother and I made a stable sealed vault and left it running pretty much straight for a week on a really nice computer.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »

I have gone older. My brother and I made a stable sealed vault and left it running pretty much straight for a week on a really nice computer.

You'd expect madness doing that. Eventually your entire population would die and you'd need to reassign a horde of peasants. Did anything weird happen as the fort aged bugwise?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:02:59 pm »

Not really. You kind of let it grind slowly. After a while, you get a lot of ancestry. It doesn't get buggy, it usually gets just slow.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:54:31 am »

Get DFHack, and see if messages from it (for instance, from workflow and autobutcher) get displayed by DF
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:48:14 am »

Do you have soldiers sparring frequently?

The game will only remember the last 3000 announcements, and combat reports are included in that total, which a large military can generate in significant quantities.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »

Do you have soldiers sparring frequently?

The game will only remember the last 3000 announcements, and combat reports are included in that total, which a large military can generate in significant quantities.

New test: set seasonal autosave and pause after autosave. When the season is up, game should save, then pause. Then check announcements, which should note the arrivial of the new season.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »

I had some serious spam going on from undead body parts inside lava, flooding me with [undead] [body part] is on fire! messages. After fixing that and making a new save, the issue fixed itself.

ustrikemagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 12:11:14 am »

is there a limit of the dead/missing list, too?