Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms [FPS, Steam game, F2P]  (Read 4885 times)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms [FPS, Steam game, F2P]
« on: April 19, 2014, 03:06:18 am »

Hmm, I've never done of these before so here's to hoping I don't horrible mangle the top with my mostly dead on my feet description about the game. Eh, I'll just copy the steam description of the game and add in a few things.

Pick from three Classes: Assault, Support or Recon to suit your play-style; each with unique Abilities to gain the upper hand against your enemies. Develop your character as you level up and unlock new equipment.

Engage in fierce 16-player firefights with your fellow Ghosts, friends and clan mates. Playing together is easy with the fireteam feature and intuitive squad systems. Join or create your own clan to get in on the competitive action, where victory goes to the most coordinated team.
Experience all this and more for Free.

KEY FEATURES
•   Free-to-play and download on PC
•   3rd person, team-based, tactical shooter
•   16-player firefights and clan matches
•   Convenient clan and fireteam creators
•   Multiple game modes and maps
•   Intuitive squad systems
•   Dozens of weapons and unlockable equipment
•   Ladder rankings and player statistics

Alright, basically, from what I've seen there are two maps so far in the game. [Mind you, I've only been playing in the beginners league so there might be more maps available when you get out of it.] There are three different game modes as well as three different classes. The cover system in the game takes a little while to get used to but it's pretty fun. All three of the different classes have different abilities they can use on the battlefield. Each class has three slots for six abilities. One active ability, one passive ability, and one consumable ability.

The classes seem balanced enough. And unlike most of the free to play shooters I've seen, you can actually keep your weapons permanently after you buy them with the in-game cash! It's a miracle, I know. There are a few premium items in game but it all seems mostly balanced out to me. Though I can imagine buying the higher tier weapons would require a bit of a cash grind, assuming you don't earn more of in-game cash out of the beginners league.

Anyways, It's free to play. It's on steam. Check it out. Didn't see a thread about this so I thought eh. Bay12 has clans in bunches of other guys, might as well make one in this one as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243870/

*Edit* I'll probably clean this up a little bit more tomorrow and add in a more in-depth description of the classes.

*Second Edit* It appears that the game also uses punkbuster*
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:08:51 am by Xardalas »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms [FPS, Steam game, F2P]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:02:58 am »

It might be worth mentioning that it requires Punkbuster to play (and attempts to install it when you first launch the game, but obviously if you're using vista or newer you have UAC to stop it, although I expect the servers still require it*). It's also not mentioned on the Steam Store page, not that there's anything you can do about that.

* I didn't bother to check - I downloaded it, launched it, denied its attempt to install PunkBuster, closed it, and hit 'delete local content'." (If I had known it included PunkBuster I wouldn't have downloaded it at all)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:07:33 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »

Its fun, But recon seems a little better than Assault, and I have no idea how to play support class, the machine gun just confuses me.

Other than the lack of maps its pretty fun and It actually lets people use cover, which is pretty cool.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:41:07 pm »

It's also blatantly Pay to Win.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:52:18 pm »

It's also blatantly Pay to Win.

Oh yeah, Ive had my entire team screwed because a recon player has a P90 or a PP-21something that just murders assaults. And this is in the Beginner area

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:03:38 pm »

Its fun, But recon seems a little better than Assault, and I have no idea how to play support class, the machine gun just confuses me.

Other than the lack of maps its pretty fun and It actually lets people use cover, which is pretty cool.

Once you get out of the beginner leagues, There are like sixteen maps. And I've discovered that using the oracle tends to fuck up with P90 recons who cloak.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »

The game is good fun. but as previously said, Its pay to win.
when everyone got about the same grade gear its fun. but then someone with max heavy armor which laugh at your bullets while he kills you off in an instant.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »

Ugh, After about a dozen matches outside of the beginner league, the game is starting to piss me off. It's kinda funny, in the beginner leagu I really enjoyed the game and the matches. Outside of it I'm just like ugh.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »

Beginner league so far seems fairly fun, there is a good emphasis on teamwork if you don't like being shredded. Each class has its own niche, although Support seems to only get sub par abilities and a decent LMG. Assault and Recon seem to be the most popular though, since the SMG and Rifle both offer better killing power than the LMG.

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:15:04 pm »

pay to win game ::)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »

Yeah, I have yet to play outside of beginner matches but judging from the cash shop of superior armour and guns available from the get go with premium currency, it seems pay to win.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 04:15:58 pm »

I've tried this game, but really all it does is make me long for the days when Future Soldier had a decent population on 360. That game was great, and probably the only game that I bought all the DLC for. Phantoms isn't too bad, but it doesn't feel as good as FS to me.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 05:41:02 pm »

Gah. I'm Xardalas in-game if anyone wants to play with me. Might be pay to win but I am having fun. I've found it gets a lot easier if you actually play with one or two people with comms.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:17:32 pm »

Downloading now, want to see how much pay to win this really is.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:20 pm »

Beginner rounds in my experience and most others are pretty good and fun, although most people say otherwise about after beginner.
Pages: [1] 2