Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A text RPG based on Worm  (Read 4375 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: A text RPG based on Worm
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 12:25:50 pm »

I admit, I would be very very interested in seeing how a Worm RPG thing could be created, if only so I could kill Contessa and Taylor multiple times.

Was it just me that felt like this, or did the author of worm indeed create a very interesting setting with great powers and creative use of them, only to screw up with an annoying as hell protagonist and tweenage ruhmanse?
No, I'm with you. Mostly because I read it in a single sitting rather than over a few weeks like you're supposed to, but eh.
Yeah, maybe in small packages it would be easier to swallow. As is though, I sometimes found myself thinking "If the protagonist died right now, I wouldn't mind one bit, as long as we could continue to explore the setting." Maybe I'm just a cynical person though.

So, right now it's 2 against and 2 in favor of Taylor/them romances being at least a tad annoying.
I never found it annoying- I just enjoyed the battles and intrigue/politics more. Mainly because they were more interesting. Though I never found Taylor annoying, honestly. She just seeming like a good protagonist. To me at least.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »

I admit, I would be very very interested in seeing how a Worm RPG thing could be created, if only so I could kill Contessa and Taylor multiple times.

Was it just me that felt like this, or did the author of worm indeed create a very interesting setting with great powers and creative use of them, only to screw up with an annoying as hell protagonist and tweenage ruhmanse?

I'm always annoyed by teenage romance. But knowing someone who killed themselves over bullying and seeing all the stories in the news about rape and bullying going entirely unpunished, my respect for highschool and college authorities is incredibly low. I suspect that its hard to like Taylor if you don't identify with her problems with authority. It definitely makes her rationalizations harder to swallow if you don't understand that part of her backstory personally.

If you have issues with Worm, there is a guy on the Worm reddit, which I visited for the first time yesterday, who has some great criticisms of Taylor's characterization, as well as several issues with Wildbow's writing. For instance how the Slaughterhouse 9 and Legends are always fucking losing even though they are supposed to be incredibly powerful. Its actually pretty interesting to read his critiques of the various parts of the story.

Note that Taylor lacks characterization in a lot of ways. Since Wildbow was not an experienced writer at the beginning, a lot of the early parts, especially ones he didn't rewrite later, are pretty terrible. Even though I understand Taylor's motivations from personal experience she wasn't written super well at the start which bleeds into the whole story even when the writing gets better.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 12:54:41 pm »

I didn't care about Taylor's romance, mainly because I didn't realize until the thing was over that she was even in any. I just didn't like how she won against everything.
That, too, was kinda hard to swallow. And not just with Taylor, sometimes one side won a fight even though it really didn't 'feel right' that they did. I was kinda annoyed at how incompetent the heroes were most of the time.

@Mo: I'll have to read that sometimes, thanks for the heads up.

Just for the record: it's not that I didn't like reading worm, I really did (most of the time). It's just that I fell like it could've been so much better. But I readily admit that if I can't identify/resonate with the main character, that will take away from my personal enjoyment, but for someone else this might not be the case, so don't think I'm stating this as fact or anything.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 01:04:56 pm »

M'about half way through (I think. Arc 15.) and T hasn't really gotten on my nerves, yet. Not exactly the most enthralling character either -- t'be honest, most of what I've read so far, the characterization has felt like the weakest part -- but I've enjoyed stories with worse. Romance subplot even kinda' cute, in a clumsy sort of way -- not so much the interaction between the characters, but the way it's written. Stylistically somewhat endearing even if the content falls kinda' flat? Something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »

I'm always annoyed by teenage romance. But knowing someone who killed themselves over bullying and seeing all the stories in the news about rape and bullying going entirely unpunished, my respect for highschool and college authorities is incredibly low. I suspect that its hard to like Taylor if you don't identify with her problems with authority. It definitely makes her rationalizations harder to swallow if you don't understand that part of her backstory personally.

If you have issues with Worm, there is a guy on the Worm reddit, which I visited for the first time yesterday, who has some great criticisms of Taylor's characterization, as well as several issues with Wildbow's writing. For instance how the Slaughterhouse 9 and Legends are always fucking losing even though they are supposed to be incredibly powerful. Its actually pretty interesting to read his critiques of the various parts of the story.

Note that Taylor lacks characterization in a lot of ways. Since Wildbow was not an experienced writer at the beginning, a lot of the early parts, especially ones he didn't rewrite later, are pretty terrible. Even though I understand Taylor's motivations from personal experience she wasn't written super well at the start which bleeds into the whole story even when the writing gets better.
Could you get a link to the thing? I can't quite find it on the subreddit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »

Could you get a link to the thing? I can't quite find it on the subreddit.

He has a lot of posts about this stuff, just search his name on the subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/1y38s9/what_i_like_and_dont_like_about_worm/

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:11 am »

Am... am I supposed to know what Worm is?  I thought this would be text-based Wyrm, which sounded neat.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 02:43:49 am »

Am... am I supposed to know what Worm is?  I thought this would be text-based Wyrm, which sounded neat.

Worms has an S. Wyrm has a Y. How are people getting confused.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 04:16:50 am »

I thought the same thing.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 08:56:46 am »

It does not have an S. And yeah, shame to the OP for not putting up a link, expecting people who lurk around a gaming section to know about a web novel.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 01:02:44 pm »

It does not have an S. And yeah, shame to the OP for not putting up a link, expecting people who lurk around a gaming section to know about a web novel.

Worms the game has an S. Wyrm the w/e that is because google didn't help has a Y. Worm has neither.
Pages: 1 [2]