Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications and archery  (Read 839 times)

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications and archery
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:29 am »

I was thinking about planning an optimal sniper platform. It should be 1 tile wide to force the archers stand right next to the fortification and be able to fire through it. Are there any other "tircks" when building sniper platforms?

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications and archery
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

Platform as in like a tower, or do you mean along the walls?

If a tower have the dwarves come from below to make better use of material. If a wall, then your idea is the common one when it comes to fortress defense. Personally I prefer making the fortifications by first making walls where they would be, then having my engravers turn them into fortifications (its in the same menu where you dig/smooth rock). Also, make sure you have ammo stockpiles along the walls so your marksmen don't have to travel far to restock- and that you don't let the stockpile use bins (using the stockpile details) because a bug would make marksmen not recognize bolts in bins as existing.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »

You're gonna want the ammo stockpiles to be out of sight of enemies. Your dwarves won't reload if they can see enemies.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »

You're gonna want the ammo stockpiles to be out of sight of enemies. Your dwarves won't reload if they can see enemies.

Can enemies fire back at your dwarfs or are they safe behind forts?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »

Most enemies won't shoot through fortifications unless they're next to the fortification, so a single tile moat or other unwalkable tile is usually good enough protection.  However, with sufficient skill they can shoot through the fortifications at any time if they're in range.  Being so skilled, they often pick off your defenders in the process.  I think they're called "Elite Bowgoblin / Bowelf / Bowwhatever," but distressingly it's been so long since I've played I can't remember for certain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:31:24 pm »

Most enemies won't shoot through fortifications unless they're next to the fortification, so a single tile moat or other unwalkable tile is usually good enough protection.  However, with sufficient skill they can shoot through the fortifications at any time if they're in range.  Being so skilled, they often pick off your defenders in the process.  I think they're called "Elite Bowgoblin / Bowelf / Bowwhatever," but distressingly it's been so long since I've played I can't remember for certain.

Which is why I also give my crossbowmen shields to hide behind, which drastically improves their survivability in all situations.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.