Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Don't use Gamefly! I got scammed.  (Read 10615 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't use Gamefly! I got scammed.
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:48 am »

I bought it (crusader kings 2 collection) from GameFly this morning as my friend loves it and I want to join him. GameFly is only place with a sale on collection. But GameFly refused my order even if my debit card/bank has plenty of money. They wouldn't accept my fake account info like steam does even though when I put in my credit card and other info it was real info. That is obvious. I just never put real info in my profile since many sites get hacked. GameFly has sucky security too.

GameFly then wants to call me and refuses to use email. For one my hearing is damaged from an accident...I can sorta hear but not with construction going on here. And I have a huge speech problem. GameFly support doesn't care. And refuse to remove my credit card until they call me and I can't remove it on site. Literally says I can't remove a primary card when I attempt to do so.

Really want to play ck2 (with collection) with friend. But GameFly is only one I can find with any deals. And I have to contact the police and tell them they are attempting to steal my credit card and contact bank. Luckily both are in walking distance. They refuse to remove it, so I assume they are illegally using my info. Such bullshit.

Should have waited for a real site for a ck2 collection deal...but I really wanted to play with my friend :(

They also charged my bank even though they won't give me the game till I call them. Its in my bank info of purchases etc. They charged the sale price of ck2 collection. And they refuse to give it to me till they call me. And I can't use a phone.

At least banks are good at giving money back from frauds.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:22:31 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Don't use Gamefly! I got scammed.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

Yea i was about to say, if they refused to provide you goods or service but didn't refund go to your bank, sucks since they probably will get you a new card but thats some stupid shit.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »

I will be getting my money back and a new debit card. I got a temporary one for now.

Such a bad experience. Guess I should have waited for gamersgate/amazon or steam or one of the other sites I use a lot.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:52:01 pm »

Whats this about a fake account?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »

I agree that you shouldn't have to give everyone your name, and paranoia about giving your personal information out online is only prudent, it wouldn't surprise me if Gamefly simply wanted to verify that you weren't using a stolen credit card by matching the information you entered to the credit card's owner's information. I assume they did ask for things that weren't on the card.

... Of course, going on to charge the card despite concluding that it was possibly stolen is particularly dumb of them, so they deserve the chargeback.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »

Yeah, chargeback was probably the right move.

In the future, however, you might as well give your name to anyone to whom you also gave your credit card number. Seriously. This goes double since there are plenty of places that check to verify your name/address matches the one on the card, which is meant to prevent people stealing your card.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:11 pm »

I would think the part where you input false information for a site that handles money would be very suspicious :P

Also chargeback means that you probably can't use Gamefly in the future, regardless of  legitimacy.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »

I use fake info on my steam profile. Give real info when buying. Steam works fine.

I shouldn't need to use real details in my profile or account details. I only do that when buying it. Then I prefer not having my credit card info forced onto my account with no way to remove it.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »

Wait, what? So you knowingly committed fraud by providing false information with a financial transaction and now you are upset that they are treating the situation very seriously? Or am I missing something? Cuz just because Steam lets you do it is completely irrelevant. That is like claiming "hey, the beer store down the road sells underage people alcohol with no problems, but this one over here actually had the nerve to not give my fake ID back when I tried to use it, ermegerd!"
or
"hey police, I tried to present a false identity with a financial transaction and these people didn't willingly go through with it, arrest them!"
It is totally within reason that they would treat the transaction suspiciously when you try to use 'someone elses' info for the purchase compared to your other (fake) account info

Thanks, this thread makes my day  :D

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:23 pm »

No. When I bought the game it was real info. I refuse to put real info on my profile or anywhere in account page.

But obviously I use real info when buying games :p they always ask all the info needed when I put in my credit card.

Steam does it and works fine even if my account has a fake name and any other detail that is private. Again, I put in real info when it asks when buying.

When I buy a game at a store with a credit card it doesn't treat me like Facebook wanting all my personal details. I refuse to share that in my profile. So putting in my credit card and other info on the buy page should be all I need to do. Like how other digital stores do. Not force me to put that info on my profile.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:42:48 pm by Vendayn »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:36 pm »

No--he has a different name for his Steam iD and his billing info. That's not a crime. However, Gamefly thought it suspicious and wanted him to call to verifg that he's himself. Because the OP can't take calls, he at least hoped they didn't precharge him for content he couldn't even access.

Neither side scammed the other.

Ninja'd

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:09 pm »

No one should ever use email for security verification, so good on them. Most people re-use passwords, so if someone had compromised your account, there's probably greater than 50% chance they now owned the email account associated with it as well. A phone call isn't necessarily the most secure means of contacting the owner of the card, but it would likely prevent 99% of the problem, as it would probably be prohibitively troublesome to carry out a large scale attack and small scale casual attacks.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »

No--he has a different name for his Steam iD and his billing info. That's not a crime. However, Gamefly thought it suspicious and wanted him to call to verifg that he's himself. Because the OP can't take calls, he at least hoped they didn't precharge him for content he couldn't even access.

Neither side scammed the other.

Ninja'd

Yeah that is what I mean. Still shouldn't have charged me and refuse the game.

If my hearing was good and my speech wasn't so terrible, maybe it would have worked out different. In any case, what is done is done.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »

Ok, fair enough, but the point still stands: as I and Skyrunner mention it is within reason that they are suspicious when the purchase is charged and "delivered" to someone different than the account holder. Just because the account holder is 'fake' doesn't make any difference because they do not know that. You should actually be happy that they are diligent like that, imagine if someone tried to do that by putting YOUR credit/financial info into a purchase for their account, by catching it early like they did in this case it only helps you.

I understand that you are upset the way that it turned out but it is immensely silly that you accuse them of scamming you when ultimately you were the one attempting to deceive them, whether warranted or not. I hope you can at least acknowledge that providing fake info is, while not 'illegal' or 'scamming', at least deceitful; while diligently investigating a situation where the recipient of a purchase and the payer are different people is also not 'illegal' or 'scamming' but even 'good'...

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:41 pm »

Honestly they did do the right thing. Even if you explained your difficulty with phones, its still really suspicious. Its not like they have doctors on staff to verify whether you have a legitimate disability.

Personally I think they should just make the whole profile thing optional, but possibly selling your data is part of their business model.
Pages: [1] 2