Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152069 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my experience there's fairly frequent warring in Standard maps with 8 sponsors, and cities sometimes switch hands back and forth, but no AI player seems to make much progress towards decisive victory over the enemy. Most of the war activity takes place at sea, thanks to the melee boat spam, which in turn makes it doubly hard for the AI to transport troops and fight land wars overseas. The marine aliens also serve as a significant obstacle for the latter.

So the game, I believe, has become too hard for the AI to process. The mechanics creep since Civ5 have made it a far cry from the time the computer opponents could simply pool their units in a single tile, leaving pathfinding to only concern itself with the fixed landscape, and repeatedly smash the resulting stack into objects of interest.

I don't think the AI was ever good at overseas invasions, however, as I remember it had issues managing transports. They sought to address that with unit embarkation, but that was only a small solution for what's been a rapidly snowballing problem.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

I worryingly see that major mods are not being developed. I know the game has relatively little time out for any major mod, but besides the Dune one, there aren't any other in progress.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you mean for Rising Tide or BE in general? Civ5 had that problem as well. The modding is more streamlined but also more limited. In Civ4, modders had open access to the dll libraries and could add new mechanics that straight up didn't exist in Civ4 (or fix bugs, or make a better AI outside of just adjusting weights). There were still some limitations (the were some bugs with the "start game" screen that were hard coded in the executable and couldn't be fixed), but otherwise you had xml, python script/code, and C code to work with.

AFAIK, the most you can do in Civ5 and BE is change numbers and add graphic resources. In Civ4, this was equivalent to modifying the xml files.

I was certainly disappointed when I first noticed that was the case with Civ5, and even moreso that modders still can't do as much with Civ5 as they could with Civ4. At this point, they will probably never be able to.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

BE in general. It's sad how they made more difficult to mod the game, yes, but there where some good ideas and even pics with new models floating around, the same with Civ V, and after a while, nothing.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Something I've noticed after playing some vanilla BE alongside RT. Affinity levels are much much easier to obtain in RT, to the point that you don't even have to try and you'll just pile on a bunch of them, this makes playing with a single focus really hard because you just end up with a bunch of levels in all three just by researching the techs you regularly need. Compared to vanilla where it was kinda hard to get levels in affinities you didn't really care about, mostly because they seemed to be locked into specific leaf techs which meant you had to really dedicate to getting them.

As a result they feel kinda cheapend in RT and something that makes you that unique, since most everyone will have several levels in everything anyways :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is quite easy to get a good number of random affinity levels without any conscious decision in Rising Tide. Sometimes you can reach the hybrid units without even trying.

The list of things which need to be addressed is pretty long by now.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A shitty successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #756 on: October 23, 2015, 07:36:52 pm »

I just ragequit a game some 20 turns from a contact victory. Mostly because I was at war with that indian lady and was winning pretty hard thanks to the retardedly strong xeno titan (seriously, two hitting cities is stupid). She was down to two cities I think. One I took recently and so my titan was parked within. Then comes along a chirpy immortal who attacks the barely healed city and takes it, killing the full health titan inside without a fight.

Could've bought another one the next turn easily, heck, could've bought two, but fuck that, that mechanic is bullshit, units garrisoned inside cities should be putting up a fight, not sitting around uselessly while the city dies and then giving up without a fight :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A shitty successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #757 on: October 23, 2015, 10:43:12 pm »

I just ragequit a game some 20 turns from a contact victory. Mostly because I was at war with that indian lady and was winning pretty hard thanks to the retardedly strong xeno titan (seriously, two hitting cities is stupid). She was down to two cities I think. One I took recently and so my titan was parked within. Then comes along a chirpy immortal who attacks the barely healed city and takes it, killing the full health titan inside without a fight.

Could've bought another one the next turn easily, heck, could've bought two, but fuck that, that mechanic is bullshit, units garrisoned inside cities should be putting up a fight, not sitting around uselessly while the city dies and then giving up without a fight :V
Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't sitting inside a city protect the unit from damage otherwise? Still bullshit, but it makes somewhat more sense when you remember that the city is technically the only unit during city combat.

Also, technically the units garrisoned do put up a fight, it's just by slightly boosting the city's combat strength. And whatever they do on their turn, obviously.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

(thread title change has raised a stink, changing it back)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Check the title for Jopax's and IronyOwl's most recent posts before this one, on the previous page.  They posted after the title was changed and before Toady One rolled back the change, so it was preserved there.  It was a one-word swap with a petty curse. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:27:54 pm by Culise »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dizzlization Beyonce Arth - A spoopy succulent to Meta Centaurs by the Axis
« Reply #761 on: October 24, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »

You can see the thread title at the time a person posted at the top of the post, unless they changed it.

Edit:
dammit ninja'd

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

It's like someone added the worst aspects of AC with the worst aspects of Civ

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Here we go again.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's like someone added the worst aspects of AC with the worst aspects of Civ

Part of me believes that these mistakes HAD to be made so that the developers never try to half-heartedly recreate AC again.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53