Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152243 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow the tech web is such an improvement over the tech tree, loving it. It's also great how the factions have a flavor to them, but instead your playstyle is determined by the affinity you choose. Some really great improvements over regular civ here, imo.

Only thing that bothers me is trade routes? I don't know, is anyone else generating more food, production and science through trade routes than in cities? This game I'm in I have trade routes with my own cities giving up to 12 production, and that's only one side and plus a good amount of food only around midgame too. I don't know, the numbers seem way off here.

Having good fun but some of the numbers definately need tweaking. Those trade routes are just rediculous, and there's not enough options to increase health until lategame. Better get to modding.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really susre what the problem with trade routes is... every 30 turns or so, you click a couple of buttons. Job takes less than 30 seconds.

It becomes a problem when you have 15+ of them [because they're so powerful]. Or if you're like me you have 2, 3 trade routes every turn that expire that need to be re setup for the same places they've always been.
Ohh so much this. I'm doubling the duration of trade routes, at least. Every turn I'm setting 2-3 trade units back on track, it's pretty much all I do all game.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The trade routes are hilariously unbalanced with the gains from them. For even more shenanigans, grab the Industry virtues that give you +6 energy from trade routes per Station tier, and the one that gives you a bonus income of 1% of your stored Energy once the money has started rolling in.

One thing that I dislike is that you can only increase in military power by gaining affinity. The game could do with a couple of "basic advanced" units that doesn't require an affinity rating. As soon as somebody hits their Affinity 4 units, you need to get there as well unless you want to get steamrolled.

As for the fluff of the game, one of the quests mention that people are still uncomfortable with cloning. 600 years in the future and people are still bitching about stem cell research? I wonder if it was okay for a while but then something horrible happened? :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:57:25 pm by Sartain »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know about cloning. Didn't the great mistake set earth back a good bit on technology or something? Some other tech mentions for example the reinventing of the global network, implying it was lost back on earth. Nevermind techs like biology and physcis and the like needing rediscovery (how did they even build rockets without a knowledge on physics what).
Don't know that much about the backstory though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:04:49 pm by Jelle »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is there even a backstory? an external site maybe where they posted all the flavor stuff? i'm honestly just looking for incentives to keep playing this game atm 

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pardon the multitude of posts or the recurring theme of trade routes, but I have to ask since I'm not finding any information on it. Has anyone figured out how exactly the gains from trade routes work? Seems like the base yields from both cities are factored in somehow, but I haven't figured out exactly how...

As an aside, these yields are looking much more balanced already. No idea what I did though heh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a question. I'm trying to win the game but I can't figure it out. How do I go about building an Emancipation Gate? I have level 14 in Supremacy and I have hypercomputing researched. Are there any other pre-requisites?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trade route management really needs 4 options:

1) automatically renew the selected trade route
2) automatically select the highest value internal trade route
3) automatically select the highest value foreign trade route
4) always ask me to pick a trade route

1-3 wouldn't bother you again unless you went in and manually canceled them.

It's a trivial task to manage trade routes early game (or on small maps) when you've only got a handful of cities, but once you're up to 10+ cities with 3 trade routes each and 3 clicks to select and confirm your choice of trade route whenever it expires, it gets tiresome. 

It's not as though there's particularly interesting decisions to be made either - most of the time you're just deciding production/food vs money/research and then you choose the one with the biggest numbers - so it's largely just busy work you have to deal with before the things you actually want to focus on.  I found it very frustrating fighting a fairly tense war in my last game where each turn I was eager to direct my units but it'd pull me away so I can tell it "really, just do what you did last time" on 2 or 3 expired trade routes.

I have a question. I'm trying to win the game but I can't figure it out. How do I go about building an Emancipation Gate? I have level 14 in Supremacy and I have hypercomputing researched. Are there any other pre-requisites?

I've not done the Emancipation victory, but if it's anything like Transcendence or Promised Land it'll be an option in the Wonders section of your cities' production list and it'll prompt you to place it on a map tile when you start building it.  There may be other prerequisite actions required before you can get to build it though, as shown on the Victory screen (you may have already seen/done those - the first step is launching a Lasercom satellite).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:29:48 pm by Biowraith »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Wait, people still make mod for Civ3?

Woah.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=352057

One of the biggest ones I can remember, with a patch this month..
Oh, my, that's rather fascinating, but I'm not quite sure I should...
CCM Modification Index
1. ICS-tactic (Infinite City Sprawl) stopped.
* Culise vanishes in a flurry of Civ 3 modding

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really do hope they release a patch that tweaks the trading.  I also hope they tweak the search option for techs to find, for example, that one building that gives +1 food for tundra and godamn it where the hell is it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really do hope they release a patch that tweaks the trading.  I also hope they tweak the search option for techs to find, for example, that one building that gives +1 food for tundra and godamn it where the hell is it.

It's a building called Mass Digester.

In regards to the background material of the game it's left rather vague of purpose I guess, so as to not offend anyone in particular by saying that it was the racists/conservatives/pastafarians or whatever that caused the Great Mistake. And while it's a total nitpick, it seems like a very convenient coincidence that the public opinion of cloning in the year 2525 just happens to be the same as it is now, in our time  :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

On a side note, a whole lot of their tech flavoring and plot is hidden in the in game wiki.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

It's a building called Mass Digester.

In regards to the background material of the game it's left rather vague of purpose I guess, so as to not offend anyone in particular by saying that it was the racists/conservatives/pastafarians or whatever that caused the Great Mistake. And while it's a total nitpick, it seems like a very convenient coincidence that the public opinion of cloning in the year 2525 just happens to be the same as it is now, in our time  :)
It's one coincidence that is impossible to explain.

500 years ago, the world was so different; 500 years into the future, the world will be even more different.
._.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

The game is fine, but... it lacks something. I guess the original AC was dominated by the strong personalities of the leaders. The female fanatic was especially fun with her speeches in technologies etc. Compared to them, the leaders present now are quite bland. I can't help but feel they went an extra mile to avoid offending anyone. The result is bland factions without much difference between them. Oh well. At least it is better than Civ 5. :p 

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a problem with the whole "bland leaders and uninspired quotes" is that the game is trying really hard to capture the uniqueness of Alpha Centauri, but you can't just recreate inspiration on demand.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53