Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152216 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Mictlantecuhtli: I have 83 health right now. I think the conqueror penalty was way more severe in Civ 5. Past the mid game you'll be swimming in health.

In the early game what I did was just buy out all the health buildings as they were so cheap.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, health is not as much of a hard cap as happiness was, so it's actually pretty okay to dip under in health, even to -20, which the bad happiness effects get the most severe.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am quite excited that this is sounding good! Now, uhh, anyone want to spot me 40 bucks?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Also, health is not as much of a hard cap as happiness was, so it's actually pretty okay to dip under in health, even to -20, which the bad happiness effects get the most severe.
Yeah, I spent the first 80 turns or so in negative health too. I didn't notice any real drawbacks.

By the way, a demo has been released for anyone who wants to see how it is for themselves. I think it's pretty good but could use a few expansion packs to really get going. I was tempted to say it sucks but even while thinking that I wanna go play it some more... so it must be doing something right.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Mictlantecuhtli: I have 83 health right now. I think the conqueror penalty was way more severe in Civ 5. Past the mid game you'll be swimming in health.

In the early game what I did was just buy out all the health buildings as they were so cheap.

On marathon?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

You can make captured cities into puppets or directly annex them. For some reason this gives you a huge malus to health. I just raze cities, instead of taking -9[Seriously! This is about all the low-mid tier health building outputs combined!] health for every occupied city. That needs to be changed. As it is, there's literally no benefit to annexing/taking hostile cities from others since it harms your health level so much.
Pretty sure in Civ 5 this penalty started high and then a portion of it timed out as the city got accustomed to being under your iron heel. I wonder if it does something similar here.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In Civ5, the happiness penalty for annexing cities was fixed but could be eliminated with the courthouse. I don't think it ever "timed out" in other ways... although it might also be eliminated if you defeat the civ entirely, not sure on that.

In Civ4, culture had an effect because cities could be comprised of culture from multiple civs, so if you captured a city on the border that was largely your culture (because your culture was pushing it hard) the happiness malus wasn't as a large... but that was actually kind of separate from conquering in the first place, I think. Like, it was just the effect of the mixed culture itself (a bonus or malus based on city pop, percentage of mixed culture, and diplomatic status with the other civ) rather than applying only when you annex the city. If you conquered the city you probably had a poor relation with the civ, so any of its culture in your cities would cause a minor happiness hit, which would slowly recover as the mix reduced and cities developed back into your own culture, including annexed cities (provided they aren't still being pushed by an opponent civ).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:11:08 pm by Niveras »

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

as soon as someone makes a dune conversion mod for this, i'll put it on my buy it list!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Ah, my first crash.

Seige worms have an interesting habit of sitting next to your cities and letting you rocket them to death.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like it thus far. My biggest problem is that trade isn't possible to automate, and that there's no option to make automated workers not remove miasma. I like the satellite stuff and as a Harmony civ I want to cover everything in miasma. I'm currently pretty far in, been at war with two of my smaller neighbors (Slavs and Africans) who sneak attacked me at the same time a long while back but I managed to repel them and take one city, and they haven't managed to field anything dangerous since. I've struggled with health the whole game despite not actually being particularly big (4/5 cities) and researching/building most the health buildings. so it seems to me like conquest and going wide in general is ridiculously unfeasible. There is an improvement which acts like a farm but gives health in exchange for maintenance so maybe with copious amounts of them it's possible. Covert ops is nice and I like how you don't actually know specific numbers, managed to steal a tech once and otherwise it takes a bit too long to do any ops.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:03:54 pm by Rakonas »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Get health by investing in the expansion culture line or getting the health techs. Also a lot of buildings have their special event things and will give you permanent bonus health.

Or ignore it as it doesn't really make a huge difference unless you're at -20+.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm liking the affinities and the quests, although I feel like the quests might be a little too frequent and may result in too much "trying to do too much at once" (playing on standard speed). I'm also on the fence about the affinity upgrades increasing the cost of producing the units, but that might not be a big deal late-game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I just realized there's no way to find out the diplomatic status of other countries with each other.

----

Hmm... unlike Civ 5 this game actually gets better and better the longer it goes. Late game is where all the fun is at.

---

There's no score screen or anything when you win. Just a single image. Very, very lame.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One major quitessential "Civ" thing I'm not seeing so far are natural wonders. I did see one fairly unique feature, looked like a large crater (very similar to the Barringer crater in AC) but it appeared to be purely visual and without any bonuses: mousing over the central hex (the mouth of the crater) and surrounding hexes (the rim) just returned "mountain" (ironic, actually), grassland, grassland/hill, etc. The pedia only refers to wonders you can construct so I guess natural wonders don't exist (probably slated for an expansion, greedy bastards). Also missing great people. I guess AC didn't have them either but... yeah.

Lots of resources. I usually play Civ5 with abundant resources, but so far in a normal game I have a hard time saying "I should put a city exactly here to maximize workable resources". There's still some selection pressure but I don't feel it is as strong.

I don't like not being able to direct a city's next tile expansion without directly buying the tile.

The tech web doesn't specify whether a building unlocked by the tech is just a building or is instead a wonder. You can still kind of pick them out because it has a much, much higher production cost and usually has an obviously unique bonus (like free virtue, 'all x +something'), but IMO should be labelled explicitly. (This is obviously just a nitpick.) (I guess the aura around the icon also differs between wonders and buildings.)

Trade route management could be improved, such as being able to view active and available convoys from the overview as well as assigning them, rather than simply seeing what routes are in progress.

Civilian assignment in the city screen is a little crowded at the default zoom. It's easier to manage if you zoom in one tick of the mousewheel but the civ icons could do with being shrunk a little.

Likewise, selecting units in cities - particularly a sleeping trade unit - is difficult because they overlap and city label has a higher priority than the trade unit, obscuring it.

Overall I find the interface very intuitive and smooth. I'm only 150 turns into a standard game so maybe there'll be more slow down, but I feel it loads faster and runs better overall than Civ5.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:26:04 pm by Niveras »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

One major quitessential "Civ" thing I'm not seeing so far are natural wonders. I did see one fairly unique feature, looked like a large crater (very similar to the Barringer crater in AC) but it appeared to be purely visual and without any bonuses: mousing over the central hex (the mouth of the crater) and surrounding hexes (the rim) just returned "mountain" (ironic, actually), grassland, grassland/hill, etc. The pedia only refers to wonders you can construct so I guess natural wonders don't exist (probably slated for an expansion, greedy bastards). Also missing great people. I guess AC didn't have them either but... yeah.
Odd.  Are natural wonders/landmarks actually a Civ thing?  Other than Civ5 and Alpha Centauri, I don't recall any natural wonders of the sort you describe.  The only ones I can think of were certain scenarios and mods in Civ4, where they were refluffed resources.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53