Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152173 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could never get into civ, I don't like the art style or the interface and the games always just seemed.. Boring.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube

Anyone know if this is midnight PST release?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone know if this is midnight PST release?

Here's a map with global unlock times: http://i.imgur.com/hLhoeWm.jpg

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile

Can you design custom military units like in SMAC?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I think there's a least some functionality in designing your own units.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't design units like you can do in SMAC. You can upgrade them differently depending on which affinities you have, but that's about it as far as customization goes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Following for people's impressions. I'm not seeing so much draw to this, but I'll let other people throw money at it and then steal their opinions to better inform my own.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just pre-ordered this because the intro video made me tear up. Unfortunately everything space related seems to make me tear up. Hopefully I won't regret this.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I'm playing my first game now. Unimpressed with the UI so far, and the options menu is pretty bare. My computer thought the game locked up on boot and during world gen because there's no loading bars, which will likely be fixed. I recommend putting map tooltips to instant. Game's pretty, but that obviously doesn't matter to someone like me.

Game setup is rather detailed, I like the options presented and I didn't go into the advanced bits.

In game look for that little 'eye' in the top right, it hides ALL the critical map overlay information. I thought there was no grid map option until I saw this little menu. I'll get more actual gameplay critique when I play, but to be honest after Pandora ruined itself by badly implementing spies, I can't see myself being too upset with this.

The research menu is kinda a clusterfuck once you figure out where it is. Looks relatively deep, though. The accessible menus I can find don't show anything about customizing units, just something about unit upgrades. So I can say with relative certainty there's no Alpha Centauri customizing of individual units, just upgrading to templates[?].
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:44:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I am skipping this game.

Its... Civilization 5 in disguise and that is what kills it for me out of the gate.

I know Alpha Centauri was the same way, but it still worked with the setting and made it its own with mechanics you wouldn't see in a Civilization game.

But Beyond Earth doesn't even hide the fact that most of it is a reskin and they even point out where they actively avoided change.

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sounds like this is more akin to a total mod.
So wait for 2 expansions and a summer/winter Steam sale, eh?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sounds like this is more akin to a total mod.
So wait for 2 expansions and a summer/winter Steam sale, eh?
Yup, even there, i think i saw total convertion better than this... wich is quite sad thinking they are selling their game while major convertion are free.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Pretty much Civ V IN SPAAAAACE?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I have it downloaded too. Will give impressions after I go through a few hours.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53