Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152158 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I was playing around with Alien Crossfire's faction designer, and realized I was basically making the Human Hive by a different name.  I'm not sure what that says about me.
There's a bit of Yang in everyone.

No, no, we must dissent!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I was playing around with Alien Crossfire's faction designer, and realized I was basically making the Human Hive by a different name.  I'm not sure what that says about me.
There's a bit of Yang in everyone.

No, no, we must dissent!
No, no, we must bring vision and hearing to the blind eyes and deaf ears of men!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Am I the only one here whose favourite faction is Zakharov's University of Planet?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Not really.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's pretty popular as far as gameplay is concerned. People seem to have a thing for getting ALL the techs.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)

I was actually expecting them to anounce XCOM: Enemy Beyond.  At least I got one word right. 8)

I am way more excited for Civ: Beyond Earth than I would have been for the above, though!

My take on 1UPT:  It's like having tactical battles without having a separate tactical battle screen to break the flow. (A good thing.)

EDIT: In SMAC I always played Gaia.  They're pretty good at teching up (and MINDWORMS!)

MOAR EDIT: Fixed the typo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:03:06 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Murderous hippies!

As a factions though Gaians are the strongest because they can grow their population pretty quickly and can set mindworms on their enemies without any ramifications. That's only for players though, singleplayer any faction can do well vs the computer but University is normally a solid choice to get the huge tech advantage and then kill hordes of enemy units with only a few units.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

PTFing so very hard.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Anyway, I hope they make their factions a bit more nuanced than in say Pandora. Especially with the trends in gaming, or everything really, to go for a really black and white look.

The interesting thing about Alpha Centauri was that every faction had something good (and numerous bad things) going for it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

... and as long as they are true factions with idealogical differences too, and not some shit broad brush nationalistic sterotypes - I mean, a shallowly disguised "spacemerican capitalists", clichéd spacecommies, some kind of eurocrat or asian technogeeks  would really disappoint me here.
This is a blank sig.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... and as long as they are true factions with idealogical differences too, and not some shit broad brush nationalistic sterotypes - I mean, a shallowly disguised "spacemerican capitalists", clichéd spacecommies, some kind of eurocrat or asian technogeeks  would really disappoint me here.
You are expecting to much.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And it's still the minimum standards for any game I would buy... I don't think I will buy many games in near future.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Why? The original AC managed it just great.
This is a blank sig.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And it was so unique that we're still talking about it now.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Well, if we're lucky Sid will insist that that aspect be kept for this game. It's still his game, in the end, regardless of the name.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53