Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152181 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Interesting that a lot of people see the crazed PETA faction as the good guys. A faction that wants to exploit enslaved mind worms to literally burrow into their enemies brains... ???
Well, the mindworms don't exactly know what they're doing is wrong. They're animals before transcendence. And exploiting them isn't very PETA. Cult of Planet would be closer to PETA. The Gaians just want to reach a point where humans can live symbiotically with Planet, so that we don't, you know, destroy it like we destroyed Earth. That said, I wouldn't say everybody sees the Gaians as the good guys. There was that part where they domesticated the mind worms and had them eat the Spartan's minds, after all.
Whereas the capitalist and especially the religious factions get all the hate even though on the gray-black scale they are the most gray factions... Liberal hypocrisy at its finest.
Now that's just uncalled for.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I err too much on the turtlish side of 4x playstyles. Would explain why I failed hard at Sparting.

Re Gaia:
I guess most people miss the Gaian dark side since, well. They're ostensibly one of the good guys and lead by a pretty young lady. They treat their people well. So what if they commit some warcrimes on the side. And like I said, the game doesn't have anything related to banning mindworm use, so surely it's not reprehensible to use a few worms here and there. Certainly something like nervegas is a hundredfold more terrible than worm-use.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been a while since I played, but ISTR Morgan could crank science pretty well once he got in gear.  Well, player Morgan anyway...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It's been a while since I played, but ISTR Morgan could crank science pretty well once he got in gear.  Well, player Morgan anyway...
Well, yes. Morgan doesn't need research bonuses of his own. He has people for that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

I guess I err too much on the turtlish side of 4x playstyles. Would explain why I failed hard at Sparting.

Re Gaia:
I guess most people miss the Gaian dark side since, well. They're ostensibly one of the good guys and lead by a pretty young lady. They treat their people well. So what if they commit some warcrimes on the side. And like I said, the game doesn't have anything related to banning mindworm use, so surely it's not reprehensible to use a few worms here and there. Certainly something like nervegas is a hundredfold more terrible than worm-use.

You would rather have a worm paralyze you then tunnel into your brain...

???
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sarcasm, internet, etc..

My bad.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So basically the gaians are a more planet-friendly America?
Both are ostensibly good guys, both occasionally have a few war crimes, both are pretty good at winning...

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, most factions can use mindworms if they want to. Especially University as it is fairly tempting to go Green with them for a while at least. (So they can kill stray mindworms.) Spartans and Peacekeepers too, sometimes. I don't see that Deirdre is particularly unique there. She's just better at it.

As for expansion factions, as far as I recall Mr. Yo Ho Ho Svensgaard's only crime is being cheap, and the Cybernetics and Data Angels don't seem like too bad sorts except their bases probably smell like 100% dorm rooms.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

Morgan all the way.  Rape the planet for funprofit and profit.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoyed playing Lal, going full Green, building all the eco-nut wonders, raising armies of mindworms, and basically out-Deidreing Deidre. She seems to make a terrible temporarily wonderful ally even when our policies and such are completely compatible, in that she always tried to backstab me once I was more powerful (and always failed (and I always allied with her even though I knew she would eventually do it)). Later on, of course, I would crush my enemies with psionic helicopters along with hovertanks (since the helicopters could attack a ridiculous number of times per turn, but couldn't capture cities).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, Morgan all the way. There was no greater philosophical calling or false veneer of righteousness, just "I'm going to make money, then use that money to buy more money." Even the Spartans seem to go on and on about the moral imperative of might makes right, but Morgan's ideals (or lack thereof) were charmingly simplistic and wholly self-evident.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile

Get excited!  :D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I agree, Morgan all the way. There was no greater philosophical calling or false veneer of righteousness, just "I'm going to make money, then use that money to buy more money." Even the Spartans seem to go on and on about the moral imperative of might makes right, but Morgan's ideals (or lack thereof) were charmingly simplistic and wholly self-evident.

Morgan is pretty chill most of the time, but he slips into Bad Stuff later on. But his colonies are pretty much free to do whatever, as long as they pay up and produce, and if he can buy you out cheaper than it would be to beat you up, he'll gladly avoid warfare. Mixed bag.

Santiago is a literal Blood Knight, every single thing the Spartans do is military-focused. And they absolutely don't mind instating a police state or committing atrocities casually.

As Mr. Strange posted, I don't find the expansion races canon, as they seem less thematically fitting.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As Mr. Strange posted, I don't find the expansion races canon, as they seem less thematically fitting.

I don't think that word means what you think it does.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Inconceivable!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53