Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28008 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

If they're so Roman why aren't they buildin they war machines and conquerin' they neighbors wit' superior group tactics?!? They don' seem very Roman at all dis guy says! :P

<BFEL is joking, please don't smack the BFEL>
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard 'gypo' as a slur, but I've heard anyone claim 'gypsy' is a slur here in Britain either.

The way I had it explained, in school in Britain, is that 'gypsy' is generally considered a slur. However, Gypsy is considered, by some sub-populations, an accepted term. Never use gypsy in any context, but maybe use Gypsy if you are sure you are talking to someone who considers themselves one. Getting it wrong is like using the N-word in Harlem.

More recently there has been a lot more online from Romani individuals decrying the use of the term by non-Romani groups who have adopted it, despite it's history of use as a slur against the Roma population. The vast majority of the use today is by people who have nothing to do with and no idea of the Roma people, basically inventing a fantasy culture completely detached from the actual population who it's a slur against.

Which is to say, on the one hand it's a term associated with ghettos, holocaust, discrimination and hatred, while on the other hand it used in a completely unrelated way to sell 'ethnic' clothing, music and a lifestyle to people who have no idea about the former. Needless to say this annoys some people.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard 'gypo' as a slur, but I've heard anyone claim 'gypsy' is a slur here in Britain either.

I hear "gypped" quite frequently. You know, like we used to have "jewed."

I think we should change it to "corped." Short for "corporation." "Man, that fucker at the shop really corped my ass."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't know the word "Jyped" actually was spelled gypped.

I always thought it was a offshoot of Jynxed.

The more you know.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

But is it really a slur? As that article points out, to many Americans, Gipsy is a profession, or a lifestyle, not a race (while Romani would be a race I guess).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But is it really a slur? As that article points out, to many Americans, Gipsy is a profession, or a lifestyle, not a race (while Romani would be a race I guess).

Yeah... no. Maybe to the current generation, but I really don't think that the previous sees it that way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Corped? I like that. I'm using that from now on.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The thing is, for it to be a slur you need an history of it being used in a offensive manner. That's why nigger is a slur, but african-american is not.

Now, I'm sure such an history exist for the word Gipsy in Europe, but in an American context? I don't know.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The thing is, for it to be a slur you need an history of it being used in a offensive manner. That's why nigger is a slur, but african-american is not.

Now, I'm sure such an history exist for the word Gipsy in Europe, but in an American context? I don't know.

As Vector pointed out, "gypped" has been in the American English vocabulary for a while. I remember hearing it as far as back as the late 80s. Now, Americans may not really know why it's a word but it definitely gets used. And I don't think ignorance of a word's origin is a protection against it being offensive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Funnily, 'nigger' used to be the sensitive term once. Insult treadmill.

AFAIK, the people themselves recognize themselves as 'Gypsies' rather than 'Romani', at least in the terminology here.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Once? So it's normal now to use nigger? o_O It's not an insult now!?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Gypped would be totally offensive, yeah.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

This is news to me. I've heard a lot of racial slurs in my time, but none more directly offensive than that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Once? So it's normal now to use nigger? o_O It's not an insult now!?

Sensitive, as in 'politically correct'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK, the people themselves recognize themselves as 'Gypsies' rather than 'Romani', at least in the terminology here.

Basically just about ANY term that is in use long enough becomes insulting.

Heck I believe "African American" is already on its way to being considered an insult.

Moron (or Idiot I forget) to Retarded to Mentally retarded to mentally disabled to mentally delayed to I have no idea what the PC term is now.

Oddly Idiot and Moron managed to become normalized because now adays it is just a term that refers to someone stupid. Moron more so then idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28