Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28095 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [insert gender-related title here!]
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »

I read the whole discussion and I don't understand what seemed to be the disagreement. I saw only snarky comments and talking past each another.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »

I read the whole discussion and I don't understand what seemed to be the disagreement. I saw only snarky comments and talking past each another.

It is because no one wanted to REALLY challenge his point.

It created a sort of "I know your wrong, but I really don't want to take the time to show you or look it up" situation.

It wasn't helped by the sort of tone the statement was made in, in which others interpreted as being made to be open to mocking, but still.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »

It created a "This guy is wrong, but he's just arguing to be an asshole so nobody is bothering" situation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »

It created a "This guy is wrong, but he's just arguing to be an asshole so nobody is bothering" situation.

Ehhh, same thing really. Well except with less honey and sugar.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2014, 02:30:08 pm »

I think people were mostly arguing with him cause he was a jerk. The one claim that he made, that testosterone has an effect on mens sex drive, is quite obvious, though doubtfully as simple as he was making it out to be.

Anyway, does anyone disagree that there is little difference between the innate biological sex drive of men and women, or at least, that there is less difference between the two on avergage than there is between individuals in the same group?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:45 pm »

I'd like to see a citation, but I wouldn't go so far as to oppose it.

Question: If you could switch your sexual orientation at will, would you do it? Why, or why not?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »

If I could do it any time I wanted, as much as I wanted, sure. Gotta come in useful some time or another. Be an interesting experience, too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »

No more than I'd want to be able to switch interests (e.g. strategy games) on the fly. While there are practical benefits in opening a new pool of partners it'd be erasing of my personality in a way that's uncomfortable to consider. Though maybe it's only uncomfortable because it's not a part of my personality that I have reservations about.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2014, 03:53:00 pm »

Anyway, does anyone disagree that there is little difference between the innate biological sex drive of men and women, or at least, that there is less difference between the two on avergage than there is between individuals in the same group?

Thanks for clearing the point up.

I will disagree, and state that men have innately much stronger sex drive than women, for biological reasons.
It could be because of higher testosterone, something else or combination of factors, but the most probable one is testosterone. That's also the reason gay men have much more sex than lesbians.
Women have just biologically another way of assesing sex drive.

And now citations -
Testosterone increases sex drive for men
Men have more testosterone than women. I know, pretty obvious but don't want to be called out on that :)
Men (homo and hetero) have innately stronger sex drive
Women and plasticity of their sex drive

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »

That's actually a pretty fascinating article that manages to encapsulate a few things I already knew in a good way, and also opened my mind to a different perspective on a separate axis. Thanks for the link!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2014, 07:33:56 pm »

This is an interesting post on one psychological interpretation of the Not All Men thing.
I'm not sure I can agree with that article. It assumes that everybody:

1) Wants to listen to other people's problems
2) Wants their problems listened to
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

I'm not sure I can agree with that article. It assumes that everybody:

1) Wants to listen to other people's problems
2) Wants their problems listened to

Not really. It assumes that talking about problems is a natural and helpful method of dealing with them for many people. It certainly doesn't assume the first. Just that for a lot of people, lending an ear is part of being a good person/friend.

I personally don't think it's a universal explanation for the Not All Men thing, because I think a fair amount of it is genuine anti-feminist trolling and deliberate derailing of discussions. But it is an interesting look at the people who do it by accident.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2014, 01:43:02 am »

The two hashtags are not mutually exclusive. They're both extremely true, and both should be fully respected by non-douchebags of all genders. The situation arises fairly simply, really:
A small number of violent people are forcing potential victims to act AS IF it were everybody out there that was violent as well, because they don't know ahead of time which people are the actual small number of violent ones. Rapists and the lot necessarily cause and lead to awkward interactions between various perfectly good hearted people. And we should be blaming for this... rapists. Only.

The classic metaphor is a plate of delicious home-baked cookies, one of which is laced with cyanide. 95% of them or whatever will leave you warm and satisfied and loved and happy and thinking of your childhood, and 5% will kill you dead.  Do you eat a cookie from the plate? Probably not. A small number of cookies would force all of us to treat all the cookies to some degree as poisonous.  Is that the good cookies' fault? No. Is that the cookie eater's fault? No.

This could be understood and accepted by everybody, without the need to ever blame or shame either the large majority of decent women or the large majority of decent men. The only people that need blaming are the sole source of the problem: murderers, rapists, flagrant harassers, people who aid and abet them, etc.

This doesn't seem complicated to me. It's not even at all exclusive to sexual crimes or misdeeds. It's true of ANY crime. I have to put locks on my doors and treat all my neighors as potential criminals at first, because 1% of neighbors are burglars or vandals. I have to go to the airport 2 hours early because we have to treat everyone like they might be a terrorist, due to 0.0001% of them being terrorists. Etc. etc.

Honestly, I'm fairly baffled why any of it is contentious at all. Why do we need hashtags? It should be common sense.  You don't see anybody putting up hashtags about burglary or home invasion called #NotAllNeighbors or #YesAllHomeowners
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:45:59 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28