Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So my expedition leader just became a wereskink.  (Read 2768 times)

brimwiz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Patiently waiting for next !!CHRISTMAS!!
    • View Profile
So my expedition leader just became a wereskink.
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:24:20 pm »

My expedition leader got in a bit of a quarrel with a wereskink that decided to prey on my dwarves. The battle was short, as my expedition leader simply beheaded the wereskink with one blow. Working as a woodcutter has its benefits, including a battle axe. However, the wereskink got in a hit before it got decapacitated, bruising the fat of his left hand. Thus, he is now infected and transforms once a month.

The kicker is: My fort is under a year old, with only 19 dwarves. Thus I didn't have enough force to kill him while he was transformed, and he killed three of my dwarves and transformed back. Now he is back as a citizen of my fort. However, he does not listen to orders. He has resigned to hang around aboveground about 20 tiles from my entrance, listed with no job. I can still access his thoughts and preferences screen, and he is apparently content. However, if any of my dwarves get too close to him, they will cancel their jobs and run away. In the nobles screen he is still my expedition leader.

Now, what do I do with him? He will transform again next month, so I don't have a lot of time to find a solution. I could probably kill him now before he transformed, but I worry that it would cause a loyalty cascade, considering he is still a member of my fort. He still shows up on the citizens list. I was planning on using burrows to place him for an unfortunate accident involving drawbridges, but he refuses to listen to orders and I can't build around him, since my dwarves get spooked.

Here's his thoughts and preferences:
Uh oh, looks like I've got goblins stuck in the machinery again.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: So my expedition leader just became a wereskink.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

See if you can burrow her in a room and wall it up.

brimwiz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Patiently waiting for next !!CHRISTMAS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:14 pm »

See if you can burrow her in a room and wall it up.
As already stated, he does not listen to burrows. Or anything at all, for that matter. Even using the millitary alert to restrict everyone to the panic room doesn't work on him.
Uh oh, looks like I've got goblins stuck in the machinery again.

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:32 pm »

Were-skinks
Now you know why you fear the night
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »

Recruit some military, with crossbows if you want to play it safe, and station them near him, hope they get him?

Or do a cave-in from below to get him isolated. If the drop from the cave-in is large enough, he may even die from it. (I'm assuming an insta-death cave-in from above or glassing/freezing are not possible due to civilians being afraid of him.)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »

Build some cage traps at the fort's entrance, so the next full moon he'll make a beeline for your dwarves and get caught.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »

If you look at that dwarf more closely you can see that they're already an enemy of both the civilization and the fortress governments. I say order your dwarves to bludgeon her to death, or admire the insanity of having a one-dwarf wereskink hermitage.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »

I'll second the idea of a cave in under her, or a line of cage traps for her to run into when she transforms.  The cage traps would be by far the simplest thing to try, and I don't think werecreatures are immune to them.  It would be interesting to find out if you're even able to target her with the military before she transforms.  I'm going to guess you can't since she's still treated as a member of your fort.

If you do go the cave in route, take care that you can isolate her if she doesn't die.  Even if you break her spine, if you don't kill her when she transforms she'll heal and go maul someone.  A remotely operated door or drawbridge would probably work fine for this.

On another note, it's unlikely but possible that she'll go back to obeying orders after she transforms, then back into a dwarf.  I've never heard of this happening before, but it's possible that some glitched out settings will get corrected when that happens.  I'm almost sure that werecreatures are supposed to go back to normal control once they turn back into dwarves, even if they've murdered someone in the process.  It's also strange that she got infected from a bruise.  I was under the impression that only attacks that broke the skin would work, but clearly that's not the case.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »

Traps are the best bet. But, if you don't mind me asking, can you upload the save before you attempt to do anything? I would just LOVE to do some experiments that involve a were creature. ^^ (involving but not limited to making an entire army) so if you can do that, it would be great. Thanks! :)

Oh and when/if you catch her make sure to have an isolated room where you can drop food and drink down to her. You don't want her dieing, do you? :P Then again, maybe you do. In which case just flood a room with lava/water to kill her.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:46:29 pm »

(I'm assuming an insta-death cave-in from above or glassing/freezing are not possible due to civilians being afraid of him.)
One could always build a scaffold up and over from further away. She might transform and move by the time it's done, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:09:14 am »

Werebeasts (i.e. the beast transformation) are always trapavoid and building destroyers. If they're part of your civ (expedition leader), they'll also avoid all traps when untransformed.

With own-civ werebeasts, you have the advantage that they'll follow orders and observe burrows while untransformed, so you can direct your werebeasts into a safe place (or a place where they can be killed with little risk to the uninfected) when the next full moon is near. Working out a "safekeeping" schedule could be more work than it's worth, because the time between two full moons is a bit under 26 days, not easy to keep track of.

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:28:01 am »

With own-civ werebeasts, you have the advantage that they'll follow orders and observe burrows while untransformed, so you can direct your werebeasts into a safe place (or a place where they can be killed with little risk to the uninfected) when the next full moon is near. Working out a "safekeeping" schedule could be more work than it's worth, because the time between two full moons is a bit under 26 days, not easy to keep track of.
Did you read the OP.

Why don't you use the werebeast to create a shrine to Armok? Build a wall around it (far enough away so that your dwarves don't run away) and then build a roof over it. Then, build a retracting bridge over a hole, and burrow dwarves on it and let them drop in for a monthly sacrifice.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:29:34 am by Ramaraunt »
The moment you realize that there is no iron.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 08:48:41 am »

Ah right, didn't realise there _already is a loyalty problem_. She'll still be 100% trapavoid in both shapes. If she's non-military right now, she shouldn't hunt the loyal dwarfs, so it should be possible to wall/dig around her while she's in dwarf shape, to produce a safe enclosure for later transformations (a beast-shaped werecreature seems to be treated as berserk, i.e. hostile to everything and actively pursuing anything that moves).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »

Werebeast attacks and undead attacks don’t really have a population or wealth trigger, so you can have them occur pretty much immediately.

The best you can do is isolate the werebeasts from the rest of the population, at least during the full moon. They don’t seem to need to eat or drink, and (please confirm) unlike vampires, they don’t get alcohol withdrawal.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 08:27:00 am »

If you look at the membership description she is listed as both the present and former expedition leader while at the same time remaining hostile to the civilization. I believe she's bugged beyond control so the best courses of action are:
a. lock all your dwarfs inside before she transforms
b. as mentioned dig the ground from under her feet after digging a pretty deep hole/trap room
c. build traps near your fort entrance with cages and when she's over them order your military to attack, she'll eventually dodge right into a cage.
d. use magma :D
e. build a carttrap system at your fort entrance and activate it when she's entering the fort :D

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2