Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156864 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1005 on: April 18, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »

What? Of course you eat bulls in France. I ate bulls in France.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 18, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »

Still, I wouldn't like to be an Estonian right now.

Absolutely nothing is happening here. First of all we finally completed our military airfield and we have Danish fighters coming in at the start of May. The Estonian Defence Force is buying 44 armoured assault vehicles that can provide light artillery fire. There was actually a poll held in Narva(the most Russian town in Estonia, right at the border) and the majority did not want to have anything to do with Russia. Russian elite in Estonia recently formed Memorandum 14 in which they cite that absolutely no country should attempt to disturb Estonia's sovereignty in any way.

However there was a protest so to speak organized in front of the Russian embassy by pro-Russia people. There were under 50 people there and they were showing support for something which Russia doesn't want anything to do with, the USSR. The organiser of that event and his assistant have both served time in jail due to their involvement in the 2007 Bronze Night.

With actually increasing amounts of NATO troops in the Baltics, I would say that people are actually not as worried here anymore.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:36 pm »

well, italy in world war 2 played a not indifferent part in harming germany's efforts, opening new fronts and then failing utterly, forcing germany to get there and help. it might not have been a decisive blow, but it weighted them down. Hitler himself asked Mussolini to stay out of the war for a couple more years, until the italian army was actually able to fight, but this sound advice was ignored.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 18, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »

Any news?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:59 pm »

Cool Stuff.

Nice. I actually had a dream recently about joining the Lithuanian Foreign Legion (I don't care that it doesn't actually exist) to fight off the Russian. Glad to know it won't happen.

Although it makes sense. Ukrainian economy is even shittier that Russia's on many measure, and pensioners for example have a massive advantage in joining Russia. Not so for Baltic Russians.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »

You know that Russia was "peacekeeping" in Abkhazia and South Ossetia until 2008?
Russian peacekeepers were placed there by the Sochi agreements of 1992 and 1993 that ended the Georgian-Ossetian and Georgian-Abkhazian wars. From 1993 to 2008, they preserved the status quo.
In the immediate beginning of the 2008 war in South Ossetia, Russian peacekeepers in South Ossetia got hit by a purely defensive Georgian rocket artillery strike on Tskhinvali and then aggressively violated Georgian territorial integrity by defending themselves from a purely defensive Georgian offensive until Russian reinforcements arrived.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:30:17 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 18, 2014, 01:30:42 pm »

Well, yeah, after month of bringing in forces above and beyond the agreement, shelling on Georgian position by Ossetians operating from within the Russians camps, and the day after an armored column crossed the Roki tunnel...

I actually would like to debate the Georgian war with you. I am ferociously pro-Georgian on that one (My dad was working for Saakaashvilii at the time, and was in Tbilisi when Russians planes bombed it) but it would derail the thread. Can we discuss it in PM?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1012 on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »

That is not a coincedence that Russia has most success in the poorest Ukrainian region so far.

Why is it poor? Many reasons: high population density, high average age, outdated industry, low prices on coal. But the main one - Highly corrupt system. Yanukovich and all his team are from there. But if in Ukraine they got full power since 2010, there, in Donbass, they ruled since 1990s
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 18, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »

Well, yeah, after month of bringing in forces above and beyond the agreement, shelling on Georgian position by Ossetians operating from within the Russians camps, and the day after an armored column crossed the Roki tunnel...

I actually would like to debate the Georgian war with you. I am ferociously pro-Georgian on that one (My dad was working for Saakaashvilii at the time, and was in Tbilisi when Russians planes bombed it) but it would derail the thread. Can we discuss it in PM?
I don't have time for this at the moment, sorry about that.
I've read your posts on the 2008 war in the European Politics Megathread, so I know your position on the conflict.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 18, 2014, 01:36:06 pm »

Ok, as you wish Guardian G.I.

UR, aren't the Western regions the poorest?

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 18, 2014, 01:53:02 pm »

I'm pretty jelly right now, at least their prime minister has shown some backbone when talking about Russia...

Vagel, any chance we could borrow him for a while?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:40 pm »

Mr Strange, you're Lithuanian?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 18, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »

Absolutely nothing is happening here. First of all we finally completed our military airfield and we have Danish fighters coming in at the start of May. The Estonian Defence Force is buying 44 armoured assault vehicles that can provide light artillery fire. There was actually a poll held in Narva(the most Russian town in Estonia, right at the border) and the majority did not want to have anything to do with Russia. Russian elite in Estonia recently formed Memorandum 14 in which they cite that absolutely no country should attempt to disturb Estonia's sovereignty in any way.

However there was a protest so to speak organized in front of the Russian embassy by pro-Russia people. There were under 50 people there and they were showing support for something which Russia doesn't want anything to do with, the USSR. The organiser of that event and his assistant have both served time in jail due to their involvement in the 2007 Bronze Night.

With actually increasing amounts of NATO troops in the Baltics, I would say that people are actually not as worried here anymore.

I was like "Wut?" for a second there, thinking I had missed some important piece of news and that we got invaded or something.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 18, 2014, 02:04:16 pm »

I have a fondness for Estonians since my dad brought a few homes from the famed "Estonian Kitchen" of Tbilisi. As far as I'm concerned, Estonia is Best Baltic.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 18, 2014, 02:21:14 pm »

Mr Strange, you're Lithuanian?
Finnish, our (pro-money) government seems to think that Russian trade and turism is more important than criticising Russian involvement in Crimea and east Ukraine. I am not happy.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 136