Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19378 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2014, 09:11:30 am »

Yeah, should probably be more specific. Is the advice given in the rulebook about GMing good advice to follow for running a game of Paranoia or is there any pieces of knowledge that would be handy to know when just starting out? I'm an experienced GM and I've played Paranoia before, it's just that I've never GMed it.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:38 am »

So...
Who here heard of Fate Weavers?
It's a decent, free rules-lite RPG. Played it once or twice with 3 friends, me as GM, and it was fun for most of us. I really liked the Weave mechanic, which replaces spells, and allows for spells to be open-ended.
Well I hadn't 'til now, but it looks quite nice, and fits with the lore of the world I like to use. I may well be using this in a forum game at a later date. Cheers :)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2014, 11:00:41 am »

Yeah, should probably be more specific. Is the advice given in the rulebook about GMing good advice to follow for running a game of Paranoia or is there any pieces of knowledge that would be handy to know when just starting out? I'm an experienced GM and I've played Paranoia before, it's just that I've never GMed it.

Please colour code your inquiry.
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2014, 01:25:55 pm »

Paranoia is fun to gm because you can go completely over the top and nobody bats an eye. You do have to start slow and build up the environment a little bit, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2014, 04:57:54 pm »

Paranoia is fun to gm because you can go completely over the top and nobody bats an eye. You do have to start slow and build up the environment a little bit, though.

That and someone can die and it doesn't seriously harm the game... without making death entirely meaningless.

And I know how much it just halted the game when someone's arm was chopped off.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:03:15 pm by Neonivek »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2014, 08:14:46 pm »

I just came up with the perfect filk song for Paranoia. To the tune of Friends (Forever).
The session went great by the way, and everyone had a good time. Thanks for the advice!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 11:05:41 am »

I've been running a game of Fate Core in the setting "Camelot Trigger" for a couple of friends every week (or at least, trying to play every week, but so far only about 4 sessions in 3 months) and having a lot of fun. I still suck at this Game Mastering business, but I hope I'm getting better, and I've learned that I did a lot of things wrong so far (but we're all learning I guess).

So what we have is space knights piloting giant robots, in the Solar System that's a lot like feudal europe. Base rules plus everyone gets a robot (quite a bit of on-foot and on-armor game seggregation here) which is a combination of extra hit points plus extra abilities (which you lose gradually as you lose those hit points).

I've borrowed a copy of Atomic Robo, and I must say, damn is this system hackable... it uses the "skill modes" (which I think it's part of the Fate Toolkit) and I feels it adds more personality to the characters. Other than that it's pretty much vanilla Fate.

Anyway, this was mostly my PTW post but I thought I'd add some ramblings.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2014, 11:56:39 pm »

I just found this thread today while browsing on a whim. And odd place for it, since this subforum is mostly about videogames, but I suppose we don't really have any proper place for tabletop rpgs on this forum.

Anyway, Fate Core. I have mixed feelings about that game. When I first read through it, I felt it was a lot more wishy-washy than previous incarnations, especially with them saying there are basically only four different actions. But, in playing Tianxia with my D&D group, I found it doesn't limit your creativity like I thought it would, and using Create Advantage is both fun and versatile.

One thing I don't really like about Fate Core is Stunt-building. It forces players to dig into the mechanics of the game before they've even started playing, and it makes you worry about whether what you're doing is too overpowered/not useful enough in the game for the points you've spent. I kind of wish they had a base list rather than just a couple of examples per skill of Stunts or at least made them more optional, since it's not a very beginner-friendly way of doing things. Also the idea that they have a certain set power-level makes them less interesting than in previous games (though I will admit things could get a bit ridiculous in Dresden Files with Powers. My were-ferret at one point rolled a +4 and, with my bonuses to Stealth for being tiny combined with that skill being moved higher in beast mode, I was able to easily reach past Legendary in my hiding attempt, and so became invisible for the rest of the scene).

One thing I've always liked about Fate is the idea of Aspects, since they're like Advantages/Disadvantages in other games, but you don't have to worry about whether you've misspent points on something useless, and the GM doesn't have to worry about whether he's punishing you enough to make sure you didn't just get some cool stuff for nothing. However, when we played, our personal Aspects didn't factor in at all (though we did use a lot of Situation Aspects). Granted, this could have come down to a lot of things, from our group being unfamiliar with the concept (we probably only Invoked and Compelled a couple of times in our Dresden Files one-shot), to our GM not being much aware of our Aspects, to the fact we only played a single session of Tianxia, and it was mostly combat, but the fact remains that the uninvolvement of personal Aspects was very much a thing in that game. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I will say that the official rules do seem to place a lot more emphasis on Aspects being flavorful and interesting and not so much on them being useful or applicable to the game, which may not be very helpful advice for someone new to the game.

Also, probably the reason why so many Situation Aspects were created in that game was just because one of the martial art Stunt-like Extras I picked for that game gave me bonuses for using Situation Aspects. One of my fellow players spent a lot of effort trying to get a consequence on an enemy so that he could use his abilities properly. I suppose this isn't really Fate Core's fault so much as Tianxia's, but I do believe they encourage you to tie Stunts to specific mechanics, and I do believe that can cause a problem of players focusing too much on mechanics and not as much on what's happening in the narrative. I suppose this problem could be easily enough solved, however, by encouraging players not to build Stunts that are set off by specific mechanics, but more by certain things happening in the story.

At some point I'd like to talk about retroclones/the OSR movement, but I'll save that for another post, since I think I've rambled on enough tonight.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2014, 05:38:43 pm »

So a comic store not far from my house is having a PnP "mini-con" in August, which I'm pretty sure is just a fancy term for a bunch of people cramming into their gaming room to play a bunch of games. Sounds like fun!

Apparently they do this every few months or so, with a bunch of people registering as GMs and people just... showing up to play, basically. The only game fully registered so far is Deadlands, which looks pretty cool. I'm a bit nervous about showing up, having never been to one of these before, but I'll most likely have a good time anyway.

Has anyone played Deadlands? What is it like?
More importantly, what sort of character should I make? Can I be an evil self-serving bastard, which is always my preferred kind of PC? 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:12 pm »

Deadlands has great flavor and a great theme....and pretty terrible mechanics. If you want to dive head first into those mechanics, play a Huckster. Even without playing a Huckster, I found a lot of its mechanics, like skills and what not, needlessly complex. Deadlands is basically the epitome of a game doing its own thing, for good or ill.

Can I be an evil self-serving bastard

They're a staple of Westerns, and the Weird West is no different.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:28 pm »

Can I be an evil self-serving bastard

They're a staple of Westerns, and the Weird West is no different.
Good enough for me! Just making sure, since the blurb on it said something about "battling against evil" or some such nonsense.
I'll have a look through the rules later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2014, 05:57:42 pm »

Classically that's what the game is about. "Gettin' them Zombie Rustlers to skeedaddle of'n this lady's properties."

But there's no reason you can't play a Huckster with an unhealthy interest in dark secrets, a gunslinger with next to zero morals, an outlaw who'll kill men or the weird just the same, a posse rider who has to clear out a town of weird shit so their landboss can take it over, ect...
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »

Deadlands has great flavor and a great theme....and pretty terrible mechanics.

The mechanics are well suited to the theme.  It uses a combination of dice, poker chips, and playing cards -- it seems a bit complex but it lends well to the immersion of the 'wierd west'

Now, why they've taken and made a whole line of games under the 'Savage Worlds' system that uses those exact same mechanics -- and why those games and that system is so popular, I'll never figure that out. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2014, 06:10:15 pm »

Like I said, it has great flavor. It just doesn't exactly play very elegantly.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:54 pm »

Fate stuff...

Kadzar, I have to agree that Stunts are the thing that gets me stumped the most when making characters or trying to help my players come up with decent ones.

About character Aspects, it's a good trick that players get into the idea of self-compelling to get points from the GM. It's a good rule of thumb for the GM to at least compel 3-4 times in a session, having a list of all the PC aspects is very useful too, and sometimes aspects just aren't very compel-able. One good thing vs. those games where you think you messed up with bad Advantages/whatever is that you can replace at least a stunt/aspect almost every session (and swap a skill). And if you're not sure, leave some stunt slots open and fill 'em in play.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14