Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Arrowflight: Island Nations - OOC Thread  (Read 21503 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Arrowflight: High Fantasy P&P RPG
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »

Welp, I can't make the prayers work with my character build properly, so I'm going pure berserker nutjob :) Now to just finalise skills. Should hopefully have a sheet ready for later tonight.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »

In place of a second weapon can my character have some form of stringed instrument?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »

https://www.mediafire.com/?cda0uwhncra5081

I'm...pretty sure this works as a sheet? :P I don't mess around much with files and junks.

The plus signs are where I bought skills, as opposed to having them from my lifeline, which I actually rolled for!

I'll polish it up and repost once someone has assured me it's mostly legitimate.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2014, 01:21:36 pm »

Ummm, I'm not positive on this, but did you spend all of your 30 points on skills? 

EDIT: Ah, whoops, I misinterpreted the rules on buying skills.  I'll have to fix that on mine as well. ^_^

EDIT 2: Wait, during character generation, you get 30 "skill points", while improving skills is done using "character points".  Is there any difference between the two?  In particular, do skill points correspond 1:1 with what you purchase (that is, akin to attribute points), while character points act in the manner specified for improving skills in game?  I ask mostly because I just did the math on that skill cap at character generation - to go from 0 to 5 points, you need to spend 41 points, or more than you receive unless you take a metric ton of liabilities. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:33:09 pm by Culise »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:25 pm »

* Haspen shall lurk about.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vva2bd40p27fz8q/AF2e%20Sarrak%20Charsheet.pdf

Whew. Done. I was short of ONE attribute point in the end  :-\

Wait, during character generation, you get 30 "skill points", while improving skills is done using "character points".  Is there any difference between the two?  In particular, do skill points correspond 1:1 with what you purchase (that is, akin to attribute points), while character points act in the manner specified for improving skills in game?  I ask mostly because I just did the math on that skill cap at character generation - to go from 0 to 5 points, you need to spend 41 points, or more than you receive unless you take a metric ton of liabilities. 
You earn character points in the actual game. And spend them on improving attributes/skills or learning new ones.

On generation, however, you have 'pure' 30 points. 1:1.

Whole score of attributes must be = 30 (sans aging), while skills (depending on backstory and taken liabilities) are >= 45 (+ 1 level in Islander language)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:42:20 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:18 pm »

I've seen games where you spend skill points 1:1 but later you spend XP in increasing amounts depending on skill level, and it just encourages maxing out a couple skills at the start. If you want people to have well-rounded characters you should give them a sum of character points to spend exactly as they would if they gained them during play.

This being Bay12 forums, one-sided, munchkin or just too spred chars would end up dead. Natural selection and everything.

As for "train as in-game"... In which skills did you have mentor? Which you studied yourself? I don't think that method is appropriate here.

Kyle, I think you misread a bit, as you have...38 attribute points. Sadly, we receive only 30  :-\

Oh gods. Improving skills is not the same as buying them at start. Well, it was so not a long ago..
I mean to say only that if you have a 1:1 point buy at first and then during play skills cost more to improve if higher, people will naturally have more powerful characters if they spend their initial points on only a few skills. That is, if you have one character who spreads their points out, and another who focuses on a few, after one adventure the focused one will be able to pick up the skills that the generalist took - but the generalist will take several adventures to reach the skill level of the focused one in his chosen skills. Only a very sensitive person would describe that as min-maxing. It's the same as not wanting to create a character who spends a lot of points in Cultural Sciences, Domestic Arts, and Literary Arts.

Secondly, if we're talking about role-playing, then yes there's no reason your character should develop differently before chargen than he develops after chargen.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:13:19 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »

Ummm, I'm not positive on this, but did you spend all of your 30 points on skills? 

Humm...well I bought four skills fresh, at the cost of 5 pts each.

Sharpshooter
Awareness
Social
Blackpowder (Rifle)
=
20pts

Then I upgraded Natural Science and Lore to Rank 3 from existing Rank 1, so...5 pts each. Rank 1 to Rank 2 is One Point-ranking up trained is current level times itself, 1x1=1-and from Rank 2 to 3 is four points 2x2=4.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

This being Bay12 forums, one-sided, munchkin or just too spred chars would end up dead. Natural selection and everything.

As for "train as in-game"... In which skills did you have mentor? Which you studied yourself? I don't think that method is appropriate here.

Kyle, I think you misread a bit, as you have...38 attribute points. Sadly, we receive only 30  :-\

Oh gods. Improving skills is not the same as buying them at start. Well, it was so not a long ago..
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »

I believe that I have fixed it.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2014, 02:08:34 pm »

In place of a second weapon can my character have some form of stringed instrument?
Of course.
https://www.mediafire.com/?cda0uwhncra5081
I'll polish it up and repost once someone has assured me it's mostly legitimate.
You can't be a very good dragon hunter without dragon bone or runic weapons, since those are the only things that can harm greater dragons.
Dragons in Arrowflight are not as common as they are in, say, D&D. They mate once every 10 years, and only produce about three or four offspring on average, and when they aren't mating, they're killing each other over territory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vva2bd40p27fz8q/AF2e%20Sarrak%20Charsheet.pdf

Whew. Done. I was short of ONE attribute point in the end  :-\

Wait, during character generation, you get 30 "skill points", while improving skills is done using "character points".  Is there any difference between the two?  In particular, do skill points correspond 1:1 with what you purchase (that is, akin to attribute points), while character points act in the manner specified for improving skills in game?  I ask mostly because I just did the math on that skill cap at character generation - to go from 0 to 5 points, you need to spend 41 points, or more than you receive unless you take a metric ton of liabilities. 
You earn character points in the actual game. And spend them on improving attributes/skills or learning new ones.

On generation, however, you have 'pure' 30 points. 1:1.

Whole score of attributes must be = 30 (sans aging), while skills (depending on backstory and taken liabilities) are >= 45 (+ 1 level in Islander language)
So, you get 30 points to put into stats, and 30 to put into skills. In chargen, raising a stat from 0 5 would cost 5 points, and skills work the same, with the exception of combat skills, which I explained earlier. Later, you will get character points (basically EXP) for defeating enemies, completing tasks, and just generally doing stuff. Raising stats with character points is extremely cost intensive, costing x20 the current level of the stat, so raising a stat from 5 to 6 with character points would cost 100 points. To put that in perspective, your average combat session would yield about 6 character points.
Skills, however, are different when it comes to character points. New skills, that is, skills you have 0 ranks in, cost 10 points to raise to 1. Afterwards, if you can get someone to teach you, (someone whose skill is of at least one rank higher than yours) the skill costs the current rank times itself to raise. Without a teacher, the skill costs the next rank times itself to raise. For combat skills, the same applies, but you also must add the skill's point value to its cost.
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

Seriously, I think you guys are misunderstanding a bit here. Character points are EXP. Nobody has character points yet. You don't spend skill points the same way you do character points.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2014, 02:14:29 pm »

My current sheet works right?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2014, 02:15:48 pm »

If there are any problems with mine character - feel free to PM. I think that I checked everything, but you never know.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24