Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Arrowflight: Island Nations - OOC Thread  (Read 21491 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Arrowflight: High Fantasy P&P RPG
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 01:34:23 pm »

Well for you to have that I would also need a pretty good story reason from you as to how your character earned enough favor with the gods to be granted that kind of gift. I'm not saying I'm discouraging it, but that's kind of a heavy thing to give out.

I know. That's why I'm still thinking about my character. No concrete ideas yet.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

Rolled on the inheritance table, character is now an innkeeper with magic powers.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »

Rolled on the inheritance table, character is now an innkeeper with magic powers.
Well, you aren't necessarily running the inn, you just own it. Like a landlord.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

Character concept created, dice rolls abolished altogether. Now to the number fidgety.

I slightly misunderstood the pricing by which to buy complex combat skills. Let's take, for example, Dalahar style (2). If I chose to study it, I must spend (1+2) skill points on each level of it, yes?
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:13 pm »

But I can still be an innkeeper?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 02:42:21 pm »

Character concept created, dice rolls abolished altogether. Now to the number fidgety.
I slightly misunderstood the pricing by which to buy complex combat skills. Let's take, for example, Dalahar style (2). If I chose to study it, I must spend (1+2) skill points on each level of it, yes?
That part has always kind of confused me, too. It's just kind of poorly worded is the problem. I'll ask somebody about it and get back to you, but for now just assume that it's the way you thought it is.
But I can still be an innkeeper?
You own the place, you can do whatever you want with it. I'm just saying that usually adventuring is a full-time job, so inkeeping would probably get in the way of that.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

Ok, I'm planning on making a barbarian/shaman type character. Not entirely sure how feasible it is, but it looks reasonable.

EDIT: Do we get Islander as a language for free?
Also, I can't see the number of prayers you start with anywhere? I assume further purchase is the same as for spells though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:05:52 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »

Ok, I'm planning on making a barbarian/shaman type character. Not entirely sure how feasible it is, but it looks reasonable.
Heh, we have same ideas (at the very basic level). But they will probably end up developing into very different characters  :)

That part has always kind of confused me, too. It's just kind of poorly worded is the problem. I'll ask somebody about it and get back to you, but for now just assume that it's the way you thought it is.
Thanks a lot. Probably additional points are only invested once, when studying the basics. Or else everything (especially learning) is very complicated.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

Alright, so the official word from the co-designer on combat skills is that, during chargen, if you want a combat skill, you have to pay its point value to get the skill, and then you pay 1 point for each rank in the skill. So if I wanted to put 2 ranks in Gladiator, I would pay 2 points for the skill, and then one point for each rank, bringing the total to 4 points. If you want to increase your rank after character generation, you have to pay the point value of the skill in addition to what you would normally spend in character points.
I hope that cleared everything up.

Also, I would recommend putting the point value of each combat skill on your character sheet, so you don't have to go through the sourcebook to find it all the time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:11:25 pm by AlleeCat »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »

This looks rather interesting.  I rolled a bit for the Lifeline, more out of curiosity, and received a freedman with an urban forest background, apprenticeship in finance, and an inheritance of an old keep.  My immediate thought was to finish building the character as an orcish lawyer.  I...think I may have gone off on a bit of an odd tangent with this. ^_^

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »

Well, there's always a job for bankers in the Kainal Islands. It's pretty much renaissance Italy around there.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »

Stupid questions, still far from being over:

1) Where to put assets/liabilities (detailed bio later, maybe) on the sheet?
2) As a cleric, is it strictly necessary to get 3 Common Prayers at the start?
3) What is prerequisite for Devotion in case of Shamanistic way? It says in Theoretical science that it is required for Devotion, but, as seen from tribal shaman generation, it goes through Natural science just as well. Natural science NOT being prerequisite. I'm a bit confused.

Also, it can be possibly added that spells and prays are both paid in DIFFx2 skill points. It's only stated for magic for now.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 04:43:21 pm »

1) Where to put assets/liabilities (detailed bio later, maybe) on the sheet?
I usually put my assets and liabilities at the bottom of the lifeline section. As for a bio, you can just put it in a text document. I'm the only one who needs to read it anyway.
2) As a cleric, is it strictly necessary to get 3 Common Prayers at the start?
The rules say yes, so yes.
3) What is prerequisite for Devotion in case of Shamanistic way? It says in Theoretical science that it is required for Devotion, but, as seen from tribal shaman generation, it goes through Natural science just as well. Natural science NOT being prerequisite. I'm a bit confused.
Shamanistic prayers use Devotion just like any other, the difference being that Shamans are not limited to prayers and also use magic.
Also, it can be possibly added that spells and prays are both paid in DIFFx2 skill points. It's only stated for magic for now.
For chargen, I'm going to let you have as many free spells as you have ranks in the corresponding theory. Prayers are the same way. outside of chargen you will have to purchase spells/prayers normally.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:48:44 pm by AlleeCat »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 04:59:54 pm »

Thanks a lot. You actually answered another question in the third  :)

Mine was mostly this: "Does Shaman needs to learn Theoretical Sciences for his Devotion?"
Theoretical Science has in its description: [TS] is prerequisite for both Arcane Theory and Devotion
While dicerolling tribal shaman, you get Devotion, but no TS. Only Natural Sciences.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 05:58:07 pm »

Also, dragons are not playable.
Which is sad.

This looks rather interesting.  I rolled a bit for the Lifeline, more out of curiosity, and received a freedman with an urban forest background, apprenticeship in finance, and an inheritance of an old keep.  My immediate thought was to finish building the character as an orcish lawyer.  I...think I may have gone off on a bit of an odd tangent with this. ^_^
I like the way you're thinking.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24