Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AvP RTD OOC Thread: Now with 50% more potpourri and philosophy  (Read 3638 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Please feel free to discuss all that stuff you lot were discussing over there, over here.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AvP RTD OOC Thread: Now with 50% more potpourri and philosophy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »

Deffffiinnitely the wrong board, Hans.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »

What the frak is this?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:55:32 pm »

Deffffiinnitely the wrong board, Hans.

No, it's not actually part of the RTD. It's a discussion of another game that is by someone else. Thus, I put it in Other Games, where you discuss other games by other people. This is logic, Frumple. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:28:02 pm »

Is this a game? Or an imaginary game? A roleplay thread? A spam?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:31:08 pm »

It's an out of context thread. Where people discuss things unrelated to the game I am running so they don't spam my game thread. It's a discussion thread. You can go ahead and hijack it with inane questions that are answered by the topic line though, thanks.
He's fucking with us.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »

Well. Title has philosophy in it. And guessing its sci fi. And about space. Rtd may stand for a scientific term I am aware of.avp may do with extraterrestrial lifeforms. But since its about space and aliens...

What if the universe is among other universes? And there is an infinite amount of universes and an infinite of dimensions in each universe. And time travel is going to a dimension in the past, and anything you do has no effect anywhere else as its its own dimension.

Now aliens. What if an alien species was so ancient and advanced people thought they were gods or a god. You could put this into your game for people to worship gods. But they are actually a super ancient alien species that were godlike. This would add interesting stories to the game. Along with infinite universes/dimensions.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »

To help you out with terminology, RTD means Roll to Dodge, which is a type of forum game common over in FG&RP (it even has its own subforum!). AvP is... probably aliens vs. predators. Yes. The thread this thing is based off and should probably be near* is here. Definitely doesn't seem to have much to do with space, and only sorta' sci-fi (since the general tech levell background is around the Age of Exploration level).

*Either that, or Hans should go over and try to convince all the other OOC threads to migrate. I guess OG wouldn't mind some converts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:59:05 pm »

so, it's spam then

:D
I got nothing

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »

Seems that way.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:52:25 am »

It's an out of context thread.
Out of character. Minor detail.

What if the universe is among other universes? And there is an infinite amount of universes and an infinite of dimensions in each universe. And time travel is going to a dimension in the past, and anything you do has no effect anywhere else as its its own dimension.
Crichton beat you to it.

Now aliens. What if an alien species was so ancient and advanced people thought they were gods or a god. You could put this into your game for people to worship gods. But they are actually a super ancient alien species that were godlike. This would add interesting stories to the game. Along with infinite universes/dimensions.
Dude. There's a trope or two for that. It's been done enough, in enough good and bad ways that you need to figure out some interesting twist or specific thing to make it worth talking about.

Definitely doesn't seem to have much to do with space, and only sorta' sci-fi (since the general tech levell background is around the Age of Exploration level).
It's as much sci-fi as the actual AvP films.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »

Now, who's to say that the aliens are the advanced ones? What if, so distant into the future, humanity has developed FTL (Now, FTL is theoretically impossible. Most laws of physics only apply to the present/near-future, though, and are subject to change.) and venture into more distant galaxies...

Where we discover life. Plot twist: Weare the aliens.

On another note, the entropy of our universe is saddening, but we don't really have the technology nor knowledge to investigate such phenomena of the universe. Basically, we have Insufficient Data. If you don't usually click links, I highly recommend you look at these.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »

Most laws of physics only apply to the present/near-future, though, and are subject to change.
Not true, not true, not true. Name one law of physics that got overturned in any meaningful way in the last century or two.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:57:06 pm »

Most laws of physics only apply to the present/near-future, though, and are subject to change.
Not true, not true, not true. Name one law of physics that got overturned in any meaningful way in the last century or two.
If you read the article I've linked, it talks about the so called "law" of thermodynamics, and it's relation to universal entropy, and how there is no possible way for our universe to exist in a way we can comprehend while also following the current stated laws. It creates a paradox, basically. I could explain it more fully, if you want, but the article cover is it better than I.

Another "law" of its time proposed by Einstein was that of the cosmological constant. A theory which, basically, states that all cosmological entities remain an exact distance from each other, never pulling away or coming closer. The problem with this, of course, is the "Big Bang" theory. Again, the article covers it better than me. You may say "But wait! You just said it was both a theory and a law! Those contradict, idiot!" To which I say, you're right. Except that "Theory" was regarded as complete truth until 1997 ( I believe, I may be wrong on the date, but within 30 years).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:59:44 pm by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »

If you read the article I've linked, it talks about the so called "law" of thermodynamics, and it's relation to universal entropy, and how there is no possible way for our universe to exist in a way we can comprehend while also following the current stated laws. It creates a paradox, basically. I could explain it more fully, if you want, but the article cover is it better than I.
I skimmed the first. I noticed quite a few errors, such as ignoring the Heisenburg Uncertainty Equation's effect on the homogeneity of the initial universe, the (rather plausible, and supported by people like Hawking who understand the implications way better than me) theory that time flows towards maximum entropy because that's how we perceive time, and assuming that a high school student managed to notice glaring flaws in the laws of physics (ie, red-shift violating the laws of thermodynamics) which evaded scientists for long enough for such theories to become mainstream. Incidentally, that was when I realized that there wouldn't be any kind of halfway-decent stuff from that and stopped reading.
The second link was a sci-fi story. A sci-fi story which has no explanation for blatantly violating the most fundamental and inviolable laws of physics. A sci-fi story which I have already read.
Your sources suck.

Another "law" of its time proposed by Einstein was that of the cosmological constant. A theory which, basically, states that all cosmological entities remain an exact distance from each other, never pulling away or coming closer. The problem with this, of course, is the "Big Bang" theory. Again, the article covers it better than me. You may say "But wait! You just said it was both a theory and a law! Those contradict, idiot!" To which I say, you're right. Except that "Theory" was regarded as complete truth until 1997 ( I believe, I may be wrong on the date, but within 30 years).
The Cosmological Constant was never proven, and AFAIK never even tested. It was proposed because "everyone knew" that the universe was static, which is a sure way to get put in the dustbin of history.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2