Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The King's Men [Sci-Fi SG]  (Read 4507 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
The King's Men [Sci-Fi SG]
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »

In another time, in a far away place, stood a kingdom spanning hundreds of stars. Colonies consisting of billions studded the galaxy, dotting the universe with bustling communities of miners and farmers, taking the vast and unique resources of thousands of worlds. This kingdom was led by the King, a king greater than all the kings before Him. He was not mortal. He did not see as mortals see. He did not think the way mortals think. He united humanity and ruled for centuries upon centuries. His kingdom was greater than any, and soon humanity was under one banner. However, trouble stirs ahead, and He senses it. Now is the calm before the storm.

You, however, are completely oblivious to anything outside of your hometown. You are the child of a farmer, another nameless servant of the King. The farm you've grown up on has become dull and boring. Many of your friends have either been assigned to other farms and mines or have been taken by the Plague a few years back. Everyone is now gloomy and silent. You want out of here. To be far, far away from this desolate rock. And, you realize, the fastest way is by joining the Military. Not the local armies of the lords, but of the King. To join the prestigious ranks of the King's Men.

The Selection draws near. The different branches offer different opportunities and dangers, but all contribute to the glory of the King, and all will get you out of this rock.

Spoiler: The King's Men (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Academy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Frontier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Military Police (click to show/hide)

But first, you have to look good for the Selection coming next month. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so you best look good.
Name:
Age: [Training for these things require younger applicants for the long periods of training. Usually at the start of puberty until the age of 16.]
Bio: [I don't need a novel, but something to work on would be nice.]

Branch: [Pick one of the four branches.]
Reason: [Reason for joining. A sentence will be fine.]
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Men [Sci-Fi SG]
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »

Reserved.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:32 pm »

Name:Isabel Ramirez
Bio: Isabel Ramirez is a pale and tall lady of 16 years, her l green hair (dyed), runs down her back in a long plait.
The rest of her body covered with numerous scars and coloured marks, that make up her "magic shield".

The witch queens clams that Isabel was immortal to man and best due to her "magic shield" have as best given her confidence in her self and at worst made her suicidally brave. 

For most of her youth Isabel lived on the jungle world of Billy's world Alpha, a planet known mostly for its hugely dangerous wild live and recreational drug export.

Branch: The Academy
Reason: For glory and honor
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:53:13 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »

Few problems with that.

1. "Usually at the start of puberty until the age of 16." In case you missed that.
2. Immortal to man and beast? So, basically you can't die?
3. Branch refers to either: The King's Men, The Academy, The Frontier, or The Military Police.
Dying of laughter?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:44 pm »

1. "Usually at the start of puberty until the age of 16." In case you missed that.
So starting at what  5? 12?
2. Immortal to man and beast? So, basically you can't die?
She thinks that she can't die as long as she keeps the shield in intact, not that she can't die.
3. Branch refers to either: The King's Men, The Academy, The Frontier, or The Military Police.
i'll take The Academy then.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »

Puberty doesn't start at 5. For girls it starts at 10-11 and boys at 11-12.

Alright looks good. I'll wait for more entries or votes, then I'll start.
Dying of laughter?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 01:23:10 am »

This looks like 40k, but with much less grimdark. I like that  :D

Name: Raven Caine
Bio: We heard of the glory and excitement brought by a life in the military, a life opposite in all points to the one we lived until now, save for one: in any case, we still serve the King. The possibility of escaping this dull planet and potentially becoming a hero made us look forward to the Selection. We are eager to make a name for ourselves.

Branch: King's Men
Reason: Glory and renoun. And escaping a dull, eventless life. Also one of those:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 03:06:15 am »

All the King's Men

You are Raven Caine, a farm boy on the planet DS-112. Your planet wasn't special enough to warrant it's own official name, but the locals have dubbed it Erelith. The village is bustling with excitement, women prepare their finest dishes, the men carry on building the stages and stands, children run and play with the decorations, and you and the other children of age are preparing yourself for the Selection. You stand in your room, picking the least ragged clothes and washing your hair for the first time in weeks. Your older sister, May Anne, is helping you prepare, while your brother in law, Ezekiel, prepares your family's only suit of armor for you.

As soon as your sister is down cutting your hair, you burst out of the house to meet your brother in law. You meet him in the stables, washing and refitting the armor. He wipes the sweat from his brow and scratches his beard. He looks at you and smiles, then he calls you over.

"I envy you, Raven. If I had been born but a few years later, I would've been able to join the King's Men," he says, laughing. "Make us proud."

He helps you don the armor, fastening the straps and reactivating the old hardware. The suit whirs to life, glowing with a faint blow along the trim. It's junk compared to the actual armor of the King's Men, but to a farm boy, it's like magic. The rusty plates crack and whiz as the suit calibrates itself to your body. A suit like this could protect you from a few blows, or survive a few minutes in hostile conditions, but you don't plan on using it other than to show it off to the village and the officers visiting. It was custom to wear the armor of your planet before you were taken into the King's Men.

As the armor finishes off, you feel a gust of wind blow on your face and a zooming sound fly overhead. You run to the center of town, hoping to be the first in line to meet the King's Recruiters. Sadly, the line's already stretched far. You take your place, sad that you'll have to wait for a while. You don't let that get you down, though, as today is the day you free yourself from here. You pray with all your might that you are chosen. Looking at the fancy armor some of the other boys are wearing, you feel somewhat inferior. You just hope that this won't be a fashion show.

Finally, after 10 minutes of standing with perfect posture, the King's Recruiter stands before you. A tall, broad-shouldered man with an intimidating scar on his forehead and a blazing, red beard, enclosed in the armor of the King's Men. He stares down at you, summing you up and learning all about you, through mere sight. You can see a faint glow in his eyes, and you assume that he has bionic eye implants. He nods disapprovingly, scowling. He walks right past you, not even saying a word. Your heart sinks. What was wrong? Was it your poor armor? Was it because you weren't as big as the other children?

You keep thinking all the negative thoughts of being stuck on this rock forever. Of never seeing the stars. Your heart breaks, until you hear the Recruiter make an announcement on stage.

"Citizens of the King!" his voice booms. "I, Lord Hamlet, personal Recruiter of the King, am sorry to say that this Selections choices are, well, unappealing." You get mixed feelings from his words. One, you at least feel better that everyone was just as bad as you, but on the other, you're just as bad as everyone.

"However, the King's Men require more recruits. The last batch went awry, splitting in two. One side defected, killing those who did not join. The others who remained loyal volunteered to go after them and avenge their brothers. We require more soldiers now. However, this does not imply a free pass into the King's Men. We will hold a test to see who is fit to join.

There is a hold nearby, owned by a local lord generous enough to allow it to be used as an arena for a mock siege. You will all be split in half, one side defends the castle, while the other defends it. You will be outfitted with special armors and weapons. Getting hit with these weapons will send a mild shock to you. Get hit in a vital area and you will become incapacitated. The use of unauthorized weapons is prohibited and will result in disqualification.

It starts at midnight. You may prepare with your team. Elect a leader, and discuss your strategies. Good luck."

There are 60 of the you here. They've been split in half. You've been allocated to the Siege side. The Recruiter picked you to be the leader, clearly wanting to see if you were worth anything. You've been given a very brief description of the castle. It has only one large entrance, with its back to a cliff face. All around are plains, dotted with a few trees and bushes. You have thirty soldiers at your disposal.

Allocate them as:
Infantry [Melee]
Archers [Ranged]
Siege x6    [Melee] [Battering Ram]
Siege x6    [Ranged] [Training Cannon]

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
Dying of laughter?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:15:48 am »

Do we know what the opposing team has?
How high is that cliff?
Is there any possible lieutenants in our group we might delegate squads to?
Is that one cannon needing six gunners?
Also, archers in power armor? What the hell?  ???
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:56 am »

Do we know what the opposing team has?
How high is that cliff?
Is there any possible lieutenants in our group we might delegate squads to?
Is that one cannon needing six gunners?
Also, archers in power armor? What the hell?  ???

1. Nope, not unless you spy on them.
2. Reasonably high. It's not steep but its rocky.
3. I can give you a list of a few people you know in your village if you want.
4. Yup. It's a big cannon. Just like the ones they use for real in the King's Men.
5. It's not power armor. For archers, it's like a carapace or leather armor. It's just mechanical so that it reacts properly to the training weapons.
Dying of laughter?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:29:52 am »

I'd like that list, please.

Ideally we'll start with a recon mission, both in front (stay out of range) and behind the castle (if accessible). See if climbing the cliff is doable and if there is some access from there. Maybe with ladders or grappling hooks if we can get/make some.

Make some wooden shields for the archers to hide behind. Not a portable shield, a large bit of palissade with a hole to fire through without fearing retaliation. Cannon and battering ram should try and fashion themselves some cover against arrows with branches and shit.

The cannon will have for mission to provide suppressive fire once the assault begin (not now nor soon), as will archers from behind their palissades, two per palissade.

I'll take the 8 best marksmen as archers, six in the cannon, and the rest as melee, six of those manning the ram.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:12 am »

List:

Anna - Tough, Determined, Team-player, Competitive
Leon - Aggressive, Reckless, Focused
Dmitri - Passive, Clever, Mild Coward
Warren - Sneaky, Unloyal, Cunning
Patrik - Warmonger, Tactical, Strong
Megan - Caring, Passive, Clever
Harold - Aggressive, Warmonger, Unloyal
Titus - Tough, Strong, Mild Coward
Maxim - Sneaky, Competitive, Ambitious

The rest you don't really know that well. You can all see that they are more or less physically your level and most are determined to win.
Dying of laughter?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:00 am »

Anna - Tough, Determined, Team-player, Competitive great lieutenant material, if we manage to make her compete with the ennemy rather than with her own teammates.
Leon - Aggressive, Reckless, Focused Sounds rather good, but the reckless part needs to be watched.
Dmitri - Passive, Clever, Mild Coward Meh.
Warren - Sneaky, Unloyal, Cunning that stink backstab ten miles away.
Patrik - Warmonger, Tactical, Strong Second best IMO. I'd take him.
Megan - Caring, Passive, Clever Medic.
Harold - Aggressive, Warmonger, Unloyal Ugh. Second worst.
Titus - Tough, Strong, Mild Coward Odd combination of traits. Can be a good soldier, but has no officer traits.
Maxim - Sneaky, Competitive, Ambitious sneaky and ambitious are a dangerous duo...

Okay. Take Anna as second for now, with Patrik as another lieutenant.
Expose plan, take suggestions and ideas, but make it clear that our orders will suffer no discussion. That's not to say that they should stick to them when the situation goes to hell, stay clever.
Full Sig

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:07 am »

Ok so 2 cannons (12) , 8 Archers (20) and the last 10 melee (30).

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:02:16 am »

I'd rather have a single cannon and more melee instead.
Full Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6