Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Google Glass  (Read 4279 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Google Glass
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:46:22 am »

All of my jealousy.

Most of what I've heard about Google Glass is it's significantly less distracting than a mobile phone or tablet. You can actually use it whilst still engaging with the world, instead of having to momentarily step out of the world, look at a screen with the floor as a background, and hope you don't walk into a lamp post just because you got a text or e-mail.

But I'm a big fan of the idea that technology augmenting life. I still think it's incredibly unbelievably cool that the majority of people in the Western World are walking around with a permanent connection to the totality of all human knowledge in their pockets (which people use to watch videos of cats...okay, maybe it's cool in-spite of people).

Of course for some people this has more value than others. Hospitals immediately jump to mind when I think of industries that could benefit hugely from wearable tech. People who have to juggle business and clients whilst on-the-move, and managerial types in general, also jump to mind. Every train journey to/from London in the UK will have at least one person per carriage doing business on a laptop and/or mobile phone during the trip.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:53:12 am by MorleyDev »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:18 am »

In order to do more, we have to become less people and more statistics.
Naah, you're statistics even when no one's looking. The idea of being both human and statistics takes some getting used to.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 11:19:55 am »

I hear that Google partnered with someone to make prescription lenses, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Featurewise, it seems to be able to take pictures and share them online, make calls (when linked to a cellphone), google stuff, and probably a bunch of other features. I will play with it more when I get home.

I really hope that someone writes a custom HUD script, so that you could make it show whatever you want, like temperature, humidity, total GDP of the city you're in, and distance to the closest odd-numbered Waffle House. Someone will almost definitely write an app that connects to a pulse monitor, which would be cool.
The interface is surprisingly intuitive. Part of the frame is a touchscreen, where a series of one-or-two-fingered swipes controls it. There is also a camera button, which allows a good alternative to voice control.
The only issue is that the battery life leaves much to be desired.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:11 am »

Cue AR zombie game using air soft guns...

That'd probably be pretty cool if someone could do it well enough :P

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:36 pm »

Can it do gamma correction on meatspace objects?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »

The problem with mobile tech seems to be that you trade away more privacy for mobility. A coworker gave me his old smartphone, so I finally have one, and it's really quite dismaying to see just how many different ways Microsoft wants to collect information from me, and with the recent news that Microsoft has been selling user data to the NSA (that's a rant for another day), I cannot help but feel that we're putting too much of our information into the hands of others. There will likely not be a competitor to Google Glass for quite a time, and Google's already known as a monolith of user data collection.
The way I see it is that in the modern world data is going to be collected on your pretty much no matter what you do, so you might as well get the benefits out of it to quote the original "Demo" for the internet: "an advantage of being online is that it keeps track of who you are and what you're doing all the time". Pretty much every search engine out there, and most web pages report statistics to something (or have something that tracks when you enter them). Internet browsers do it, every ad network does it, heck, even non-internet things like restaurants do it indirectly (by reporting their sales upwards). Or look at all the cameras around you in the world, nowadays with mobile pretty much every person is carrying around some form of camera or other. I figure that if I'm going to be monitored regardless of what I do, I might at least get the advantages out of it (namely cool glasses technology and ads that present me with things I might actually buy).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:19 pm »

Can it do gamma correction on meatspace objects?

IIRC it only projects information on a relatively small corner of one eye's lens.  So even if the camera could process images in real time well enough to do this, it can't project over your entire FOV, so no.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:36 pm »

Just don't be what some people are starting to call a "glasshole" and I think everything will be just fine.
Isn't that a thing google made up, cause people were being creepy?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »

I see a huge use for this in repair work. An app that could overlay schematics on what you're working on, so you know exactly where that intake valve leads to? Hell yes.

Combined with RFID tags....walking around a warehouse, you just look at a crate, and within seconds you know what's in it, where it came from, who it belongs to, and where it's supposed to ship to.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

Maybe I'm the old fart here but we've seen how rude people can be when they have a smartphone and they can't stop touching it for ten minutes to talk with someone. If you're in an environment where you never have to talk with anybody, I can see Glass being like an ultra-smartphone that you can access all the time without breaking workflow.

But the problem with people and their smartphones is that they react instantly when it buzzes - the phone becomes the master. Which means the user is suddenly distracted, touching it, thinking about that other communication. And it's even worse when the other communication is asynchronous like a text or email and the user can safely NOT LOOK AT IT until they're done with the current face-to-face conversation happening right now.

When you walk up to the checkstand, the checker feels like you're being rude if you sit there talking on the phone. Maybe you think you can handle your end of the transaction without acknowledging the checker, but from the checker's perspective you're treating them like a servant or even an object, damaging their feelings of self-worth. You want people to treat you like a person and not be totally rude: likewise, everyone else wants the same thing. If you walk up wearing smart glasses, your pupils dilated like an addict, your eyes constantly shifting like there's a fly buzzing around, your reactions constantly interrupted, missing what people around you are saying, taking longer to complete the transaction and insulting the checker, all because you had to keep an eye on your inbox - that's a rude user.

There are people out there who are not rude smartphone users. You can tell because it doesn't seem like they own a smartphone. With smart glasses being more easily-accessed than phones and the user learning to employ them as an afterthought, I think we'll see fewer people able to use them without being rude users.

As for the camera, would you be at all perturbed if I sat down to dinner and pulled out a steadicam, taking closeup facial video and audio of the entire time we were together? I sure as motherfucking hell would. I've seen someone wearing smart glasses at a club. My policy is to avoid the wearer, and if they're someone I need to deal with in person or at the same table I'll ask them to take off the Glass and turn it off. If they won't, I leave.

"But Leo," pointlessly gibber after slithering from your moist crawlspace, "you can tell when Glass isn't recording." Yeah, and nobody ever downloaded an app to make their smartphone behave differently.

"But Leo," more vapid attempts at argument slip from your swollen, frothing lips, "they're just glasses. People should be able to wear them whenever and wherever they want." These things have a list of features and they just masquerade as glasses. Again, steadicam with internet access.

Depending on your jurisdiction there are plenty of things you can't just walk around town wearing. For example, open carry of firearms is illegal in Washington, although I've heard it's different in other states. And you can't just wander around with a trenchcoat and a big-ass sword. The idea is, even if you aren't violating someone else's rights, you make people pretty damn nervous and you show at least some intent to use the things you choose to carry with you. There are some laws floating around in WA and CA regarding minors not being allowed to have spray paint - again, not because possession of spray paint is a problem, but because they might use it for graffiti. So it could be argued that holding out a smartphone which may or may not be recording could be seen as (1) an indication that the user prepared to record that day by equipping himself with the device, and (2) that a reasonable bystander may feel as though he might perform some recording.

Dunno about you, but in Washington , California, and around a dozen other states, it's unlawful to audiorecord someone without their consent. As in, they can sue you for the cash monies.

Because there exists a crime that can be committed, and a device than can be committing it, and no way to tell whether the device is currently employed to commit that crime, but that users of the device commonly perform that activity, I see no difference between Glass and a handgun or spray paint as it relates to open carry.

On a more practical note, it's more than a little naive to walk around with $1500 worth of fragile, annoying tech strapped to your face, which if removed also deprives you of whatever corrective lenses you had spent extra to install. And it looks like shit, and it makes you have a shit-eating smug expression on your face while wearing it. That plus the social rift it creates should hopefully kill this turd in its early-adoption stage.

"But Leo," you persist in failing to make a point, "this is going to happen whether you like it or not." Not necessarily. Remember when Dick Tracey had a video watch and everyone hoped they could have one some day? And instead we skipped watches and went straight to smartphones, with a few dumb-looking bumps in the road? Why would someone want a low-feature device on their wrist when they have a smartphone? Sure some units sell to people who just have to check their email while jogging, but it could just fail to achieve traction.

I'm not holding my breath, though. If you tell the average American there's a new way to annoy everyone around him and show off a $1500 status symbol you'll sell as many as your Chinese factory can produce.

What we need to turn the tide are a huge number of false news stories about people getting punched in the face for wearing a Glass, and that the warranty doesn't cover damage from "roughhousing". Make people afraid to spend the money to buy them. Reduce the profitability, perhaps they'll take longer to catch on.

At this point, in all things in general, I'm just hoping the world doesn't turn completely to shit during my lifetime.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 05:33:33 pm »

Comparing Google Glasses to guns and swords seems a bit silly, unless your point is that people are going to start stabbing people with their glasses, or install apps that let them shoot lasers from drones at you.

All your other points make sense though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »

Comparing Google Glasses to guns and swords seems a bit silly, unless your point is that people are going to start stabbing people with their glasses, or install apps that let them shoot lasers from drones at you.

All your other points make sense though.
This comment shows that you either did not understand or you purposefully misinterpreted it. I put out extra work to make sure I didn't say that Glass is the same as a gun or spraycan. What I said was:

Because there exists a crime that can be committed, and a device than can be committing it, and no way to tell whether the device is currently employed to commit that crime, but that users of the device commonly perform that activity, I see no difference between Glass and a handgun or spray paint as it relates to open carry.

It's so obvious as to be pointless that a gun is not exactly the same as a can of spray paint. Come. On.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

Microsoft has been selling user data to the NSA (that's a rant for another day), I cannot help but feel that
we're putting too much of our information into the hands of others. Google's already known as a monolith of user data collection.

...people give personal information? Like, real personal information? Personally I use psuedonyms with fake birthdates and fake favorite pets for password recovery.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 06:17:55 pm »

(First off, sorry for jerk-posting like that, I should know better than to just up and rant. I ... I have brought shame upon my family)

I think the personal data includes not just user-submitted stuff but other data that's gathered, including activities online, when you do stuff, what software you have, etc. I also tell no truths on my user-submitted data but I try to make it look believable so they can't cull it from the database as worthless.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 06:25:08 pm »

With smart glasses being more easily-accessed than phones and the user learning to employ them as an afterthought, I think we'll see fewer people able to use them without being rude users.

I think the goal with glass is augmented reality. Think of advertising billboards on the side of the road. They're everywhere,but they're not distracting because they're everywhere. It makes them easy to ignore except when you want to pay attention to them. Phones ring or vibrate to attract your attention, but if technology provides a perpetual stream of information on top of your biological experience without demanding attention the way phones do, it may be possible to integrate these things into our lives without them becoming the distraction that phones are.

would you be at all perturbed if I sat down to dinner and pulled out a steadicam, taking closeup facial video and audio of the entire time we were together?

Yes, but...I apologize...this is something we're going to have to accept. Anyone with google earth and an address can see what kind of car we both drive. Type your name and state into google and look up what information anyone in the world cn find out about you. Look at all the people posting personal information to facebook and twitter.

This is a social change going on that those of us accustomed to anonymity are going to have to accept. Google glass is just one more piece of straw on the camel, and there will be more. How long until somebody writes a face recognition app that allows anyone to instantly look up your history online? How long until somebody writes an app that puts up a virtual "about me" that nearby worn devices access in real time, so that anyone with one of these devices will instantly now your name, where you live, what you do for a living, etc?

If you're bothered by glass now, imagine what it will do in 5 years.

Tough to put the genie back in the bottle. Privacy's days are numbered. It's fun to complain about the NSA, but they're going to lose this too. They want a monopoly on information but that's not what's going to happen. Everyone is going to know everything about everybody.

it's more than a little naive to walk around with $1500 worth of fragile, annoying tech strapped to your face, which if removed also deprives you of whatever corrective lenses you had spent extra to install. And it looks like shit, and it makes you have a shit-eating smug expression on your face while wearing it. That plus the social rift it creates should hopefully kill this turd in its early-adoption stage.

Do you really expect they'll still cost $1500 in 5 years? Even homeless people in our society have cellphones. What happens when anyone can buy glass for $200 $300? What happens when 10 year olds are getting them for their birthday?

I'm just hoping the world doesn't turn completely to shit during my lifetime.

Those who cannot adapt, die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7