Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeking help from Experienced players.  (Read 3224 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help from Experienced players.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 01:36:12 pm »

Important Note: When making aqueducts/drains (especially if they're only 1 tile wide), make sure to pave the bottom with constructed floors or roads.
Constructed floors can grow trees just fine once they're muddy. Use roads. And always include some way to turn off the water.

Edit: Actually...wouldn't farm plots work? You might not even have to build them. I should test this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:39:21 pm by doublestrafe »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:13:02 pm »

Important Note: When making aqueducts/drains (especially if they're only 1 tile wide), make sure to pave the bottom with constructed floors or roads. If the aqueduct is always filled with water it's not an issue, but if it ever dries, the water will leave mud, and mud can grow trees, which block all movement, including water. You don't want to have to dig a second drain just to drain your drain, and/or sacrifice the life of a miner/woodcutter, so just pave the thing before you flood it.

Alternately, create your channel out of ramps, on which no trees can grow.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »

Constructed floors can grow trees just fine once they're muddy.
They will?!  I admit to not having done any science on this, but I was pretty sure that that was one of the standard accepted ways to stop tree growth.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »

the false display of equipment is alll weapon and armor presented on my line of sight.trader and enemy gear(goblins troglodytes etc.)are displayed in my equip military menu but correctly not on my weapon stocks.makes a huge problem when i have same type of weapon eg. a rusty steel hammer i looted of a troglo corpse and all their own equipped hammers,

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 08:06:32 am »

Should this be posted in the mods section instead?That forum was mostly filled with modding related questions so i was not sure.
yes. Please keep MDF questions in the MDF board.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »

Note that my answers reflect the unmodded game, & therefore might not pertain to Masterwork.
I don't bother with pottery and clay goods, am i missing out on something?
It is so easy to generate wealth in this game that many industries are almost never used. Pottery, glass, wax, dyed cloth, milling, pressing, leatherworking, and even metalcrafting seem to be almost completely ignored in quite a lot of forts. Go ahead & build at least 1 of every type of workshop, sure, but that's really only to be ready in case of a Strange Mood. As far as actually developing an industry, however, only do it if you want to--it's quite easy to run a highly successful & profitable fort with just Planting, Brewing & Cooking.

Just wanted to add that at least according to the wiki, potter isn't a moodable skill, so you don't need kilns for moods. Kilns are only necessary  for manufacturing gypsum powder for your healthcare system and for pearlash, if you ever want to use clear or crystal glass. Ceramics are decently valuable: earthenware has a value multiplier of 3, stoneware is 4, and porcelain is 10 (but unlike earthenware/stoneware/sand, infinite* production is not possible). However, not being able to mood potter for quicker high-value goods is a major downside.

In addition, anything that you can actually out of clay you can make out of infinite* glass or plentiful rock/wood, and glass has decent value too (green is x2, wood-limited clear glass is x5, and rare crystal glass is x10). Therefore, potter gets my vote for most useless crafting skill. I only use it for stoneware pots/jugs if I have fire clay, or for unlimited bricks/crafts if I don't have sand and want/need a lot of those.

*assuming you have the clay/fire clay/sand, of course.

Wax crafts are meh too (and also not moodable), and the entire beekeeping industry needs work (why is mead only value 1...) but at least the beekeeping industry's jobs i.e. pressing honeycombs, making wax crafts, and making mead can be set to [AUTOMATIC] reactions in reaction_other.txt, like tanning or rendering fat are by default. The potter reactions are there too, but you probably wouldn't want endless clay or ceramic goods, so setting them to be automated probably wouldn't be all that useful.

P.S. If you want to imitate the aforementioned automations, I also recommend [AUTOMATIC]ing [REACTION:PRESS OIL] at least still in this version, since you probably don't want to cook rock nut paste, preferring to cook press cakes and cook/make soap out oil. The next version will have all sorts of things you can press vegetable oils from like hemp and other seeds, nuts, and olives, so this may not be as universally true then, but it's probable that pastes will remain less useful than press cakes + oil then as well. Your mileage may vary with automatic make soap from oil or make pearlash; you may end up with massive stockpiles, and you won't be able to use oil for cooking / potash for fertilizing. If you only give press rock nut/make potash orders in set amounts (manager or just single, non-repeating orders at the workshops) and only want to use them for soap/pearlash, you should be fine with setting those to automatic too, but I've mostly used the workflow plugin for those.

P.P.S. Also, all of my above comments are on vanilla DF too, although I presume that at least the non-moodability of potter is sufficiently hard-coded that that's carried over to masterwork. Except that I seem to recall Meph has fiddled with at least some professions, so it's possible that what's hard-coded as "potter" is actually used for something else in masterwork.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:10 pm »

Therefore, potter gets my vote for most useless crafting skill.
All fairly correct except for this. Potters and Wax Workers look like pillars of your community when compared with a Wood Crafter.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:14 pm »

There arent even any potters in Masterwork. Nor wax workers. Stonecrafters work with clay now and the wax workers are chandlers, making candles and torches for your lights (with real graphical light effects thanks to rendermax)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »

Therefore, potter gets my vote for most useless crafting skill.
All fairly correct except for this. Potters and Wax Workers look like pillars of your community when compared with a Wood Crafter.

Somewhat true, yea. But I tend to make a lot of the stuff that pottery can make, out of wood: jugs, hives... and at least you don't need to set up material collection for it separately, nor do craftsdwarf's workshops require fuel/magma. And you're almost guaranteed to get a legendary woodcrafter from a mood even if you try to avoid it. ;)

(I try to get everyone to do at least one job of a moodable skill, but migrants may mood before they get the chance, I'm not sure if rusty dabbling skills still count for moods, and the worst offender: children can enter moods)

There arent even any potters in Masterwork. Nor wax workers. Stonecrafters work with clay now and the wax workers are chandlers, making candles and torches for your lights (with real graphical light effects thanks to rendermax)

Yea, like I said, I figured you may have done something like this. If I started doing something like this, I'd probably make bonecrafters the basic craftsdwarf that does the fiddly little carving of trade goods (crafts, toys, cups, etc.), move bolts to bowyer, remove woodcrafting/stonecrafting and have carpenters/masons make hives, barrels and nest boxes. Also, pardon me for asking, but it seems you just removed wax crafts(?), renamed the skill/profession slightly, and got ahead of Toady with implementing fort-mode lighting, while the "explanation" (makes stuff out of wax) remained pretty much the same?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 05:55:52 pm »

Chandlers use wax, but also tar, oil or tallow to make buildmats or items in the Chandlers Workshop. These are used for lightsources, correct. They can also make wax crafts and wax statues. Previously they poisoned weapons as well, working with tallow and animal extracts (honey is one, so I thought it fits) but I later decided to move this to the trapper. Setting up traps and poisoning them should go hand in hand. :)

Why do you ask?

PS: This has some screenshots and the chandler explanation (near the end)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131648.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:22:57 pm by Meph »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »

Woodcrafters make wooden pots, which are vastly superior to barrels in every way except for the one or two workshops that require a barrel to build, and for processing dwarven syrup (which currently requires a barrel, not a pot, though that may be a bug).  I actually use Woodcrafting, at least until I've built up a supply of wooden pots.  And if you need bolts in a hurry, hey, wood!

I never, ever use Pottery or Waxworking.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2]