Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nom Nom Galaxy (Previously Pixel Junk Inc.) - SOUP IN SPACE  (Read 3318 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nom Nom Galaxy (Previously Pixel Junk Inc.) - SOUP IN SPACE
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:45:31 am »

Official Website: http://nomnomgalaxy.com/
Good Overview Video: www.polygon.com/2014/3/17/5518468/nom-nom-galaxy-overview-video
Early Access on Steam for $20

Terraria with souuuupppppp. Has anyone played this game yet? It's a base building game where you mine for resources, explore caverns for ingredients, hunt monsters for food, and use it to make soup! I just bought it off Steam and it's still very much a work in progress (i.e. there's no saving), but it's pretty fun to make huge soup bases (no pun intended) and ship them off in soup rockets. Soup-making gets a bit tedious at times but it's a cute concept and there's 2 player split-screen coop which is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:10:10 pm by Normandy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok I will admit this interests me a bit more then I thought it would.

Probably because I watched the base building part of Cortex command and always oozed with "Wouldn't this be awesome as a co-op thing?"

I wouldn't consider this "Terraria with soup" mind you. Exploration is a theme but not a strong theme because everything boils around a centralized base where exploration is a necessary risk.

Unfortunately I don't know if I am more enamored by co-op base building enterprise tycoon game, or if the game is genuinely good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:15:11 am by Neonivek »

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got this for $9 from the developer's site. It's in alpha, but the game is playable. What's there, however, is... difficult. They've mostly developed for Playstation 3, AFAIK, and only threw in some mouse and keyboard controls in this past weekend. Figuring out what keys do what has been the biggest hurdle for me, though I'm also trying to figure out how to build stuff and defend my base.

I think when they get their fantastic Pixeljunk polish on this, it's going to be a phenomenal game. Until then, it's good, but hard to figure out (if you're impatient like I am at the moment).

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nom Nom Galaxy (Previously Pixel Junk Inc.) - SOUP IN SPACE
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:11 pm »

OP updated with new title.

Has anyone tried attacking one of the spawners or a mammoth yet? I'm not really sure if there's any point in doing so

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

Was not expecting much, based on the name. Then I watched the video.

I want this thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:05:36 am »

Time to renew this thread. Full release should be coming.

It's a fun little 2d platforming conquest game. The keyboard controls hurt my finger after awhile but the xbox360 controls make no sense. Why is the d-pad used at all? You have to take your fingers off the left analog stick, movement, to make ladders with the d-pad. That's dumb. Stop, make ladder, stop, make ladder, etc. Triggers don't even seem to be used at all.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:11:44 pm »

Online multiplayer is up and running. 4 player online or 2 local co-op with 2 online.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »

Aaaand version 1.0 is finally out. Send soup to more places. Chew gum any way you want in whatever order you want.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:06 am »

Tried it. Controls are bad, and I dislike several of the mechanics. Why don't I get the power crystal back if I remove a generator to move it elsewhere? They're fucking rare enough.

Why are the automation options so limited? Is the game really expecting me to sit there and manually carry every ingredient back?

Animation is janky, controls are iffy at best, humor is bland.

This is the first game in a while that I'm considering a refund on.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:23 am »

Why are the automation options so limited? Is the game really expecting me to sit there and manually carry every ingredient back?

If you're early in the game, automation is limited. A bit later, there are farmer bots, conveyors, carriers (horizontal item movement), throwers (vertical item movement), vehicles, and potentially others. All of these things were in the tutorial.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:32 am »

If you're early in the game, automation is limited. A bit later, there are farmer bots, conveyors, carriers (horizontal item movement), throwers (vertical item movement), vehicles, and potentially others. All of these things were in the tutorial.
Hm. I had carriers and throwers. Didn't see farmers and such. The tutorial was a bit hectic and since the entire game is timed I felt rushed so didn't take any time to look around.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 08:09:37 am »

Don't expect it to be Factorio. There are later stages that ban the use of certain things you may be comfortable using (like all robots). If you want more automation then get more players. PixelJunk still wants to work on things even now that it's out. The game is sorta timed but you have complete control over how long you spend in a level. What I sorta dislike is that scores are based on how long you spend in a level, not how quickly you lock in 100% market share. I've completed mid levels in about 4 days, but I'm way down in the rankings.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 08:11:50 am »

I went ahead and refunded it after giving it another try.. Just didn't enjoy it much.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 11:04:06 am »

Were you using a 360 controller? That's far and away the worst way to play.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 01:35:41 pm »

I was using mouse + keyboard. I wasn't playing multiplayer though, which may have been part of it.
Pages: [1] 2